Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
canewbanks
0 Kudos

What is your favorite thing you learned from The Secret?

Mine is starting your mornings with thank-yous and jubuliant gratitude, LOA is drawn to positive energy. It is a great way to start any day!!!
BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Re: What is your favorite thing you learned from The Secret?

Hi canewbanks, and thanks for posting that -- you certainly can't go wrong starting each day with an attitude like yours!

I'd have to say that my favorite realization so far after having read The Secret is that what has always seemed like "coincidence" to me is starting to seem more like cause/effect. So far it seems to be popping up in my life in small (and positive) ways, but I must say I'm still getting a kick out of it, and it makes me wonder how to perhaps start applying the principles in the book to larger goals and ideas. Reading others' stories in the Book Club has been so interesting -- be sure to also check out the "Share Your Secret Stories" thread!

Amanda

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

For Amanda: Potential

Yes, Amanda, and it all also seems to be about becoming more aware of your potential, and making the most of what you already have!

Amanda_R wrote:
I'd have to say that my favorite realization so far after having read The Secret is that what has always seemed like "coincidence" to me is starting to seem more like cause/effect.
New User
dhenry
0 Kudos

The most profound thing that I have seen is that using your energy concentrating on what you "Don't" want will bring that very thing into your life. If you seek a mate, concentrate on how you will be,live, and feel WITH a mate, don't dwell on you current loneliness. I spent a lot of time thinking about what I dont have and can't do, and discovered that I am creating this "lack of" in my own life. Truly, very soon after I started seeing life as I want it to be and believing it to be possible, things changed for the better!
New User
canewbanks
0 Kudos

Another thing I loved about TS is the creative visualization part. I decided to drop the lose-weight thought pattern and started putting positive energy and visualization into I am my perfect body weight of 128 lbs and I lost 3 lbs this week without dieting or changing my routine! Cool!
New User
moonchuckersmom
0 Kudos

My favorite thing is the realization that sometimes we only desire things we cannot have. Since reading the book, I'm no longer desiring every little thing that I see, because I'm focusing on what I REALLY want - not just what I think I can afford. When I say to myself - I'd really like that sweater (or shoes, pocketbook, perfume, etc) I think that I can afford it, but is it really what I want, or do I want it just because I feel deep down that I cannot have it? Then I think about the PERFECT sweater (or other item), and usually the item I'm considering is NOT exactly what I want after all. This has helped me to control impulse buying - everything from a pack of gum to overpriced concert tickets.
BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

moonchuckersmom wrote:
Then I think about the PERFECT sweater (or other item), and usually the item I'm considering is NOT exactly what I want after all. This has helped me to control impulse buying...

I can so relate to this, moonchuckersmom!

My friends always tease me when we go shopping because I "never" seem to buy anything -- but really, I'm just holding out for that "perfect" item -- and nothing other than the vision in my head will do! :smileywink: This not only saves quite a bit of money, but when I do buy something, it's what I really want.

Thanks for posting, and enjoy looking around the Book Club!

Amanda

New User
bunny28
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I just started my vision board. I really think that seeing the things you want every day make then seem like more of a reality. And you learn to incorporate these things into daily life because they are always in your face. Putting together the board has been a lot of fun.

Message Edited by bunny28 on 05-08-200709:59 PM

BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

bunny28 wrote:
I just started my vision board. I really think that seeing the things you want every day make then seem like more of a reality. And you learn to incorporate these things into daily life because they are always in your face. Putting together the board has been a lot of fun.

Message Edited by bunny28 on 05-08-200709:59 PM

Congratulatiosn on starting the vision board, bunny28!

Care to tell us what's on it? I'm sure your ideas would inspire others to create their own boards...! Amanda

Contributor
2LeosNluv
0 Kudos

NOT TO BE NEGATIVE.

About a month ago my husband looked at me & said, "You are such a negative person." OUCH!! Rather than lashing out, as I certainly wanted to, I went to my bedroom because it was not the first time he had called me NEGATIVE & deeply prayed to not be negative anymore. It was truly one of those "Ah-Ha" moments. He looked at me when he said it, I knew he meant it and he was not backing down. When I finally got the book, I only then realized just how negative I was. I didn't realize that MOST things I said were pessimistic.

I'm telling ya, it hit me like a ton of bricks...believing that if you speak negatively then negative things will remain or come into your life.

My hubby used to say how we're in this apartment instead of a house because you're so negative. You drive a old model Maxima instead of that RangeRover you speak of because you're so negative.

"You don't love yourself!" -yet he loved me.

My eyes have been open and I am now renewed! I truly look at the postives instead of the negatives now. I am thankful for what I have and find joy in every day things. I have posted some things that have already changed in my life, I'm thankful to open my eyes every morning because I know something FANTASTIC is going to happen today.
"When you want something you've never had, do something you've never done" -unknown
New User
kaconyers
0 Kudos

In the past few years, either my metabolism has slowed or the number of trips around the sun is closing in on me, and my weight has steadily climbed. I admit collusion with the process, in that I do love to eat and don't choose to exercise for it's own sake. I bought a new professional scale today, that has sliding indicators to mark different numbers around the dial, I confidently set one where my weight is now, one fifty pounds less and one one hundred pounds less. I see myself as lighter, stronger, more energetic, and I am that, now and in the future.
Reader
mysticpizza
0 Kudos

The fact that any negative circumstance that I live in the present does not define my thoughts in the present, it is only a residual of the thoughts I had in the past regarding a situation or person.
This helps me to focus on what I want and not on what I see, and if I center on that, that will become my present.
New User
visioneering
0 Kudos

Re: Make 2009 your best year ever with your own vision board see THE VISION BOARD by Joyce Schwarz

Barnes & Noble is kind enough to let you look inside my book THE VISION BOARD to see free pages about the process of visioning so I hope you will all look at that and make 2009 your best year ever as you create your own vision statement, and vision for the new year.
Users Online
Currently online: 17 members 471 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: