Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Greetings & Guidelines from your Moderator

[ Edited ]

The Secret Garden:    June 30 - August 1, 2008

Hello, Readers!

Welcome to The Secret Garden Book Club, BN.com's Classics book selection for July, 2008.  I'm ConnieK, your moderator for this session, and I'm pleased to share this classic novel with you!  I look forward to our discussions over the next few weeks.

A few guidelines as we get started:

1.)  The book clubs like to provide discussion space for those who are currently reading the book as well as those who have finished the book.  I tend to organize the board such that the threads above the line on your screen (the line dividing the threads) will have threads that pace the reading fairly evenly.  Here, you will find threads labeled with chapter numbers.  Please keep discussion of the book to plot points that occur no later than those chapter numbers (that is, please avoid "spoilers," which is information about the plot from later in the book).  Please also avoid spoilers in your introductions or any other thread above the line.  This will keep discussion enjoyable for those who like to discuss as they read.

Threads below the line will be open for discussion of the book from anywhere in the book or from the book as a whole.  If you want to avoid spoilers, please avoid these threads when you visit the board.  If you have completed the book and wish to discuss it without worrying that your comments may spoil the book for readers who are not yet finished, feel free to post anywhere below the line.  You may also, certainly, post above the line if you have completed the book, but here please be mindful not to post spoilers for other readers.

Also, it's important that you know that starting threads is by no means limited to the moderator.  The most active clubs, in fact, usually have members who start discussion topics of their own.  Please feel free to start threads on topics of interest to you from the book at any time.  We simply ask that you avoid starting threads that duplicate the same topics already on the board. 

2.)  The B&N Classics clubs normally use the B&N Classics editions of the novels.  This paperback copy is linked at the top right-hand corner of your screen.  You should know, however, that purchase of this edition is by no means necessary to join our discussion.   If I reference page numbers or illustrations, etc., however, you should know that this is the edition I am using.  I usually try to provide chapter numbers as well for the convenience of readers following along in other editions.  If you need help locating any particular passage I may reference at any time, please feel free to ask.

3.)  Finally, I am a moderator of this book club discussion, rather than an instructor.  Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have about the club or how it operates.  My job is to keep discussion flowing smoothly and cordially.  I am not necessarily an expert on the authors or texts we read.  By the same token, sometimes the B&N classics clubs attract such experts or those who have read the novel previously.  All levels of interpretations and expertise are welcome--please feel to share your impressions, no matter if this is the first time you are reading this book, or if you have studied it, or even taught it, before in a college course.

With those few guidelines out of the way, I hope you will feel free to jump right in! 

Happy Reading!

~ConnieK

Message Edited by ConnieK on 06-24-2008 02:26 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Users Online
Currently online:4 members 387 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: