Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group. Let us know which of Frances Hodgson Burnett's other novels you have read, and what draws you to The Secret Garden.

And if you've read The Secret Garden, be careful not to post any plot spoilers!

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

I've been looking forward to this board since it was first posted. The Secret Garden takes me back to my childhood. I still like to pull out my favorite movie version every so often to watch it too. My old paperback copy is worn but probably not as worn as A Little Princess which is my absolute favorite book by Frances H. Burnett. I've been meaning to read Little Lord Fauntleroy for years and should still do it. I have children of my own now and can't wait until their old enough to introduce them to this author.
Frequent Contributor
niki
0 Kudos

I just picked up The Secret Garden at B&N this afternoon. I have never read this so this is one adult who is reading it for the first time. I also put the 1993 movie in my Netflix que so I should have that later in the week. I'm getting a bit of a late start. I will probably pace my reading to match the discussion chapter groups at one week for each if that is reasonable. I intend to read the B&N Classics Intro. Can I post on that if I want to in the first grouping?

This will be an interesting experiment--can a first-time reading adult enjoy the book as much as those with fond childhood memories? Are there any other first-time reading adults? I'm looking forward to the discussion.
New User
longtimebookfan
0 Kudos

hi,
this book has been a favorite of mine as a child and I look forward to discussing it with all of you
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Clippership!  It's good to have a reader here who remembers the book from childhood.  You mentioned a favorite film version--might I ask which one that is?

~ConnieK
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, niki!

Sure, it's perfectly fine to post about the Introduction, and that would be a good place.  You can also start your own thread at any time as well.  One thing Introductions sometimes do is give "spoilers" about the plot, though, and we try to be careful about that in the chapter threads.  So, just avoid posting "spoilers," and you should be all set!

~ConnieK
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, longtime!

Have you reread the book as an adult before? 

~ConnieK
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:
Welcome, longtime!

Have you reread the book as an adult before? 

~ConnieK

Hello everyone!  I have read parts of the book to my granddaughters but do not remember much of it now. I am looking forward to reading it for myself now.  Happy reading to us all!
New User
tanyami
0 Kudos

I read this book aloud to my daughter a year ago - it has been one of my favorites since childhood and I'm glad to say it's now one of hers!  Reading alound give many opportunities for discussion with a child - especially for things that are upsetting or new.
Reader
AbbieCPA
0 Kudos

I'm a grandmother whose grandmother first read "The Secret Garden" to her when she was about 8 years old.  My granddaughter is 6 years old, and I can't wait for her attention span to expand a little so we can read it together.  We've tried reading it about a year ago, but she was a little too easily distracted, although she loved the part she was willing to sit through.

My mother had Alzheimer's and toward the end of her life the movie was one of her favorites.  She seemed to be able to follow the story, and commented on the characters when she couldn't remember who I was.
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:
Welcome, Clippership!  It's good to have a reader here who remembers the book from childhood.  You mentioned a favorite film version--might I ask which one that is?

~ConnieK

Certainly you may. I've seen three different film versions (there may be more out there, I don't know) but my favorite was the one put out around 1989 with Derek Jacobi in it. Granted, a movie always takes license with a book, but I loved the children they cast for the lead roles because they did such an excellent job.
Reader
scscottie
0 Kudos

I have read the Secret Garden probably 25 times, but not in the past several years.  I will enjoy reading it again.  I read from a prized 1911 edition that is held together by a rubber band and was passed down from a great aunt!  The story is classic, but the characterizations are what I love.  I have seen at least two of the movies - a mostly black & white version from the 1940's and the more recent one done in the early 90's.  I think I also saw the Hallmark Hall of Fame version.

I have also read "A Little Princess" and "Little Lord Fauntleroy", both excellent stories.  Although it does not stick as closely as it should to the original story, I think most of us have seen Shirley Temple's version of "A Little Princess", but I think I like the one done in the last decade the best.  The Ricky Schroeder, Alec Guiness version of "Little Lord Fauntleroy" is one of my favorite movies.  In fact, my local Blockbuster in Mississippi took pity on me and actual sold me there copy as for 6 years, I was the only person who rented it and it is no longer available to purchase!  

Contributor
Bayles
0 Kudos

Hi,

The Secret Garden is one of my favoirite books.  I read it as a child (and many times after) and read it to my daughter when she was little.  I hope that this will be an interesting discussion.

I am a professor of forensic science and am interested in gardening and fixing up my house.  I live in the south east.

Bayles
New User
sbrushing
0 Kudos

I enjoyed this book as a child, and it perhaps instilled a great love of gardening in me.  I am looking forward to this journey with you all.
New User
lala0203
0 Kudos

Hi, I am excited to discuss this book. I read it as a child and have been encouraging my daughter to read it. I think a good summer project will be to read it aloud to each other. I think some of the dialect is difficult for her. I haven't read it in years so it will be cool to re-read it.
New User
bookm
0 Kudos

I am an elementary school librarian.  The Secret Garden is one of my favorite books to read and a great recommendation to children that truly love to read.  I have read this story many times.  Each time I do read it , I gain a deeper appreciation for the story, the characters, and the themes.

I am most interested to read The Secret Garden once again and share thoughts and viewpoints with other interested readers.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, kiakar!  You get to read it for "you" this time.  How nice.  Let us know your thoughts!

~ConnieK

kiakar wrote:

Hello everyone!  I have read parts of the book to my granddaughters but do not remember much of it now. I am looking forward to reading it for myself now.  Happy reading to us all!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, tanyami!

Reading aloud is always great and a good test of good writing.  You make the words your own because they come through your eyes, through your brain, and out with your breath over your vocal chords--they become kind of physical that way!  I always tell my college students in lit. classes to read poetry aloud.  That form almost demands it!  I love to read good prose aloud, too, but it does take longer to get through a novel that way.  ;-)

~ConnieK

tanyami wrote:
I read this book aloud to my daughter a year ago - it has been one of my favorites since childhood and I'm glad to say it's now one of hers!  Reading alound give many opportunities for discussion with a child - especially for things that are upsetting or new.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, AbbieCPA!

I love hearing these stories of people's childhoods and loved ones sharing the book, their family experiences.  I think this is one of the reasons why I love children's literature.  It gets so much of the family involved, and it is often shared in an intimate setting, such as in a mother's lap at bedtime.  This story sounds like it has such an important place in your family.

~ConnieK

AbbieCPA wrote:
I'm a grandmother whose grandmother first read "The Secret Garden" to her when she was about 8 years old.  My granddaughter is 6 years old, and I can't wait for her attention span to expand a little so we can read it together.  We've tried reading it about a year ago, but she was a little too easily distracted, although she loved the part she was willing to sit through.

My mother had Alzheimer's and toward the end of her life the movie was one of her favorites.  She seemed to be able to follow the story, and commented on the characters when she couldn't remember who I was.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Thank you, Clippership.  That one might be available for those who'd like to see it.  We also have a separate thread now to discuss film and audio versions.

~ConnieK

Clippership14 wrote:

ConnieK wrote:

~ConnieK

Certainly you may. I've seen three different film versions (there may be more out there, I don't know) but my favorite was the one put out around 1989 with Derek Jacobi in it. Granted, a movie always takes license with a book, but I loved the children they cast for the lead roles because they did such an excellent job.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Users Online
Currently online: 11 members 198 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: