Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

You've got plenty of time to catch up -- it's a quick read. Just don't read the threads until you've finished the listed chapters unless you don't mind spoilers.

TiggerBear wrote:
I just got my copy today, it's been sold out for weeks. Makes me wonder how many people in my area are reading it right now. Or if it's a really odd coincidence.

0 Kudos

bellsofireland wrote:
As for everyday language, I know statistics can be found about the shrinking of the average vocabulary, and I have a copy of a fantastic article on the subject called "Verbicide". I will have to dig it out sometime over the next couple days and find out who the author of it was so I can send that information to you, if you are interested.

Message Edited by bellsofireland on 07-11-2008 08:21 PM

I did find my hard copy of the article, and the author is David W. Orr. I also searched online and I did not find the article, but I did find out that it was published in the Winter 2000/2001 issue of American Educator, a publication put out by the American Federation of Teachers (AFT). It was also published in the journal "Conservation Biology", but I don't know which issue.

I went to this address: http://www.aft.org/pubs-reports/american_educator/winter00-01/

Saw this in the list of articles for that issue:

Verbicide
By David W. Orr

Who is murdering our language--and why? A professor of conservation biology, and champion of the spoken and written word, offers a short list of culprits and some suggestions about how to rescue the victim.

Read this at the bottom of the page:

Articles not posted online are available. To request a copy, please send an e-mail to amered@aft.org

This article may be reproduced for noncommercial personal or educational use only; additional permission is required for any other reprinting of the documents.

And sent an email to that address requesting a copy of "Verbicide". No reply yet, but it is a weekend, and I just sent the request yesterday. If anyone else is interested in reading the article, you can try sending a request to the email address shown here like I did, or you can send me a personal message and if I'm successful in obtaining the article, I will pass it along.
There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all. ~Oscar Wilde
Contributor
emmajane
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

Sorry I am so late in joining the conversation but I didn't want to miss the chance to talk about this book. I have never read it before but seen a movie version. So I am excited to hear what others in the group have to say since most of you have read it multiple times before.

Emmajane
New User
Sammy_Jo
0 Kudos

Hello all!
I'm a late poster as well. I saw The Secret Garden movie (the 1993 version with Kate Maberly) when I was 7, and it became my favorite movie. When I was 14, I saw a stage adaptation of The Secret Garden, which was spectacular. Finally, I read the novel at 18 years old. It was one of my mother's favorite books, so she gave me her copy.
I may not post very often, but I look forward to reading what everyone has to say!

~Sammy_Jo
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Huh.  Well, how about that.  Kinda neat.  Glad you finally got your copy, Tigger!

~ConnieK

TiggerBear wrote:
I just got my copy today, it's been sold out for weeks. Makes me wonder how many people in my area are reading it right now. Or if it's a really odd coincidence.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, emmajane!

We'll be interested to hear what you think going from the movie back to the book.

~ConnieK

emmajane wrote:
Hello everyone,

Sorry I am so late in joining the conversation but I didn't want to miss the chance to talk about this book. I have never read it before but seen a movie version. So I am excited to hear what others in the group have to say since most of you have read it multiple times before.

Emmajane

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Sammy_Jo!  Don't be afraid to post a comment here or there.  We do have many lurkers on the BN.com Book Clubs, but it's always more fun when lots of people jump in and post their ideas, observations, and questions!  Whatever feels comfortable for you.

~ConnieK

Sammy_Jo wrote:
Hello all!
I'm a late poster as well. I saw The Secret Garden movie (the 1993 version with Kate Maberly) when I was 7, and it became my favorite movie. When I was 14, I saw a stage adaptation of The Secret Garden, which was spectacular. Finally, I read the novel at 18 years old. It was one of my mother's favorite books, so she gave me her copy.
I may not post very often, but I look forward to reading what everyone has to say!

~Sammy_Jo

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

I haven't read this book since I was 10, I hated it then. Now it has a much greater apeal.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

It's interesting how our reading preferences change over time, isn't it?  What we bring to a book is different, though the book has not changed at all!  :smileywink:

~Connie K

TiggerBear wrote:
I haven't read this book since I was 10, I hated it then. Now it has a much greater apeal.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
starbytes
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!

I'm Betty from Malaysia, and I'm new here. I've watched the movie when I was young, but I was too young to remember much except I loved the garden. I've never read the book, but I think here is a great time and place to read it. So I'll go start reading it and come back again when I've got more to say about the book. =)

Happy to be here!
-=Betty=-

http://justbetty.blogspot.com
http://bettysbooks.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Happy to have you here! And look forward to your comments when you have read the book. You still have plenty of time; it's a fairly quick read, and this group will continue for at least another week or two.

starbytes wrote:
Hi everyone!

I'm Betty from Malaysia, and I'm new here. I've watched the movie when I was young, but I was too young to remember much except I loved the garden. I've never read the book, but I think here is a great time and place to read it. So I'll go start reading it and come back again when I've got more to say about the book. =)

Happy to be here!

0 Kudos

Welcome, Betty/starbytes!

I hope you'll free to jump right in to the discussion.  It's a nice group!

~ConnieK

starbytes wrote:
Hi everyone!

Happy to be here!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Users Online
Currently online: 37 members 620 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: