Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Community Forum

Welcome to all American classic readers! Please join our thriving community and enjoy meeting each other.
Bob
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Martini Lounge: open for desolated men and forgotten females of all sorts

I think in this case we will need to rename this place...how about martini lounge, no rum allowed in here.

Jim, how was it with Hemigway inventing martini? Some gossip never hurts and although I do not fancy engaging in it IRL cyber gossip is swell.

cherio
ziki
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Drinks

Hemingway did have a way with cocktail hour. I'll never forget the passage in Farewell to Arms when the hero has his first martini after a long diet of red wine and black bread. You may have guessed that this is not the only thing I have in common with Hemingway: I am also an accomplished bullfighter.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: Drinks

fanuzzir wrote:
Hemingway did have a way with cocktail hour. I'll never forget the passage in Farewell to Arms when the hero has his first martini after a long diet of red wine and black bread. You may have guessed that this is not the only thing I have in common with Hemingway: I am also an accomplished bullfighter.

And here's Bob!

http://www.mecalisgraphics.com/
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
holyboy
0 Kudos

fanuzzir wrote:

Not a bullfighter but a bull slinger. Does that count?
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Remind me never to speak to him again:smileysad:

Laurel wrote:

fanuzzir wrote:

And here's Bob!

http://www.mecalisgraphics.com/

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Martini Lounge: open for desolated men and forgotten females of all sorts

[ Edited ]
Shaken but not stirred I presume?:smileyhappy: I think the name 'Martini' (according to the bottle I have in my cupboard:smileyvery-happy:) is the name of the Italian producer. There are some interesting martini mixes in Wikipedia under Martini (cocktail) that we could make a start on....Just lemon and ice please.

ziki wrote:
I think in this case we will need to rename this place...how about martini lounge, no rum allowed in here.

Jim, how was it with Hemigway inventing martini? Some gossip never hurts and although I do not fancy engaging in it IRL cyber gossip is swell.

cherio
ziki

Message Edited by Choisya on 02-05-200712:25 PM

Contributor
jimgysin
0 Kudos

Re: Martini Lounge: open for desolated men and forgotten females of all sorts

ziki wrote:

I don't remember the details, other than mentioning to someone a long time ago that I liked much of Hemingway's work, and being told by that person that Hemingway came up with the idea of mixing gin with vermouth. It seemed reasonable at the time, given his fondness for an occasional libation [ahem], and Snopes wasn't around at the time to double-check the claim.

I also seem to recall hearing the claim made on other occasions, but such is the nature of rumors and urban legends, I guess.

-- Jim
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: Our Beloved Bob

Good for you, Pmath! You win the Dupin Award for 2007.

pmath wrote:
What a friendly smile!

http://www.stjohns.edu/academics/undergraduate/liberalarts/departments/english/faculty/bi_eng_fanuzz...

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Mini Lounge

[ Edited ]

Choisya wrote:
Shaken but not stirred I presume?

Are you possibly refering to my mental state?

ziki 007

Message Edited by ziki on 02-06-200702:23 AM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

no Drinks---only torros

[ Edited ]
Laurel wrote:And here's Bob!
http://www.mecalisgraphics.com

--------
ROFL....indeed. Caramba! Great pic!

I want to buy those leggie-pinkies, too!
I think it is Hemingway in the background (left), taking pictures.

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 02-06-200702:32 AM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

pmath!

Pmath.....what are you doing here? Aren't you busy in UK section?
ziki ;-)
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Re: no Drinks---only torros

Yes, the secret is out: I am actually a human being, not a cleverly generated computer program. In fact so vain am I that I am actually very upset with that choice of picture; there is a better one that makes me look like Rock Hudson. Worse yet, now everyone who visits me on my campus knows whom I am already before I know them! Congratulations. M. Dupin.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

pmath's wonders of research

fanuzzir wrote:
Yes, the secret is out: I am actually a human being, not a cleverly generated computer program.

The pleasure is on our side.
BTW there are no secrets on internet.
ziki
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: pmath's wonders of research

ziki wrote:

fanuzzir wrote:
Yes, the secret is out: I am actually a human being, not a cleverly generated computer program.

The pleasure is on our side.
BTW there are no secrets on internet.
ziki

Now let us analyze his physiognomy.
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

ziki wrote: BTW there are no secrets on internet.

I'm finding that out every day . . .
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

ziki wrote: BTW there are no secrets on internet.

fanuzzir wrote:I'm finding that out every day . . .

for better for worse...
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

To Ziki and Bob: EH

Ha! I did go back after the hiatus, and now I'm back here, but only to say that although I'm enjoying reading EH's stories very much, I've been reading only one per week: I need time to really think about each of them.

So, thank you, Bob, for introducing me to EH's work: although I didn't participate, I did follow the discussions on the stories I read, and I have a year of wonderful reading to look forward to!

ziki wrote:
Pmath.....what are you doing here? Aren't you busy in UK section?
ziki ;-)
Users Online
Currently online: 58 members 271 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: