Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
zman
0 Kudos

Hemingway and Humor...

...or should I say "lack thereof?"

I've managed to read about half of the stories in the Finca Vigia edition now, and I'm struck by the almost complete lack of humor in Heminway's short stories.

That's perhaps why I find it difficult to read too many of them at one time. They have the effect of eating a slab of meat everytime you sit down to the table. I haven't come across a single one that doesn't have very serious and frequently dark undertones, from psychology to sociology to history.

Mind you, that isn't a criticism. It's simply the way he wrote. Just the same, I need to mix up reading Hemingway with reading, say, Mark Twain, if for no other reason than to cleanse the palette.

Overheard in the Student Union at Brandeis University:
"Man, if I actually had to talk to Socrates, I'd be pissed."
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Re: Hemingway and Humor...

Speaking of cleanse the palate: I must recommend the chapter in Farewell to Arms when Frederick describes going from a diet of brown bread and local red wine to a chilled martini and oysters with capers. This cannot be improved upon. I am also sure that there is humor in The Sun Also Rises, but it is the kind of cruel humor that comes from having someone always around to make fun of. Hemingway took his fiction very seriously. (Let's all remember he was a serious international Modernist artist trying to live down the stereotype that he was just a conventional American hetero male.
Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

zman wrote:
...or should I say "lack thereof?"

I've managed to read about half of the stories in the Finca Vigia edition now, and I'm struck by the almost complete lack of humor in Heminway's short stories.

That's perhaps why I find it difficult to read too many of them at one time. They have the effect of eating a slab of meat everytime you sit down to the table. I haven't come across a single one that doesn't have very serious and frequently dark undertones, from psychology to sociology to history.

Mind you, that isn't a criticism. It's simply the way he wrote. Just the same, I need to mix up reading Hemingway with reading, say, Mark Twain, if for no other reason than to cleanse the palette.

I agree with you and some other readers. Those short stories are heavy reading. Although some might be short, they all need to be poundered over. I really can't read them one after another... There are like paintings in a museum: one has to sit in from of each of them and very carefully look at them for a while before grasping their meaning.
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

A very apt comparison, since as many of us have discovered, they aim toward the abstraction of modern art. I actually find the shorter ones rougher going precisely because the illusion of narrative realism is simply done without.
New User
kaylap
0 Kudos

Was it just me, or did you think it was humorous in the story "A Way You'll Never Be" in the part where it flashes back to a time when Nick was drunk and he tries to use a bicycle as a blanket?
New User
LuksaN
0 Kudos

kaylap wrote:
Was it just me, or did you think it was humorous in the story "A Way You'll Never Be" in the part where it flashes back to a time when Nick was drunk and he tries to use a bicycle as a blanket?

that was very funny kayla. in fact i pointed that out to our whole class. Nick rocks.
-nate-
Users Online
Currently online: 50 members 217 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: