New User
Teelyn
0 Kudos

Re: Join us in February

Hi All,
I am new to online book clubs. I'm also not terribly impressed with Hemingway, but I have an open mind. I've read a few of his short stories and The Old Man & the Sea. The only work by him that I really like is "A Clean Well-Lighted Place". I'm looking forward to the reading and discussion. Perhaps I'll see Hemingway in a new way.

prince_alfie wrote:
I used to like Hemingway but I find him overrated in many ways.

Frequent Contributor
zman
0 Kudos

Count me in. I just bought the edition today.

This is going to be a bit of a stretch for me as I don't usually read short stories. I prefer long, extensively developed novels, ie. "Tom Jones", "Middlemarch", "War and Peace" - the longer the better.

Overheard in the Student Union at Brandeis University:
"Man, if I actually had to talk to Socrates, I'd be pissed."
Contributor
samantilles
0 Kudos

Out of curiosity, how many are going to attempt to read all the short stories? I am under the impression this book is under discussion for one month, and at 71 stories, that's about 3 a day. I'm also under the impression that we are going to highlight some stories, rather than cover them all completely. I'm sure everything will work itself out, I'm just an obsessive planner by nature!

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~ Edgar Allen Poe

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

samantilles wrote:
Out of curiosity, how many are going to attempt to read all the short stories? I am under the impression this book is under discussion for one month, and at 71 stories, that's about 3 a day. I'm also under the impression that we are going to highlight some stories, rather than cover them all completely. I'm sure everything will work itself out, I'm just an obsessive planner by nature!

I am going to read one or two more stories, and unless Bob can convince me that they are worth reading, that shall be all. So far, I don't like this man at all and am thinking of running off with his cats.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

LOL Laurel - I know what you mean. I am only reading him because he is an American Classic and I feel I should know more about him. Does he treat cats like he treats women?? Some of the stories are very short indeed, just a couple of pages, so I don't anticipate we will have any trouble reading quite a few - especially after getting through Moby Dick in under a month!

Laurel wrote:

samantilles wrote:

I am going to read one or two more stories, and unless Bob can convince me that they are worth reading, that shall be all. So far, I don't like this man at all and am thinking of running off with his cats.

Contributor
samantilles
0 Kudos

Its definately a challenge to complete Moby Dick in a month (I so wish I had known about the book club before January, I would have really liked to begin the book with others just starting it then too!) And while three stories a day isn't that difficult (like stated, some are only two or three pages) its keeping up with it every single day thats the real challenge! I'm hoping to at least start off strong, but I may wane through the month...

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~ Edgar Allen Poe

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Only silly old blighters like me, with lots of time on their hands, bother to keep up with the boards 'every single day' Samantilles, some folks post a lot more infrequently than that:smileyhappy:

samantilles wrote:
Its definately a challenge to complete Moby Dick in a month (I so wish I had known about the book club before January, I would have really liked to begin the book with others just starting it then too!) And while three stories a day isn't that difficult (like stated, some are only two or three pages) its keeping up with it every single day thats the real challenge! I'm hoping to at least start off strong, but I may wane through the month...

Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Plan for reading the book

Here's our plan everyone: choose a thread with a theme that appeals to you. I've grouped a few stories together, since some are quite short and they all are intended to be read in concert. Anyone can start a thread that focusses on a thread or theme; I deliberately didn't start a "topics" thread because I wanted to see what came out of our discussion of stories first. Have fun!
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Does he treat cats like he treats women??

No, he liked cats. There's a whole colony of polydactyls at his home.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Contributor
bryan87613
0 Kudos

Laurel wrote:

Very interesting profile, Bryan! Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks, Laurel. Have you read much Hemingway? My middle daughter is a big Hemingway fan, but I have not read much.
Contributor
jimgysin
0 Kudos

fanuzzir wrote:
Please join us in a discussion that will explore Hemingway’s special brand of heroism and his fascination with the world beyond America. We'll begin on February 5th -- you'll find some further material and topics for discussion posted in the coming days.

See you then!

The discussion begins February 5th, so there's still time to get your book and start reading. In the meantime, feel free to introduce yourself, and give your early thoughts. But remember ... we'll start our formal discussion on February 5th.

Hi, Bob [Flashback to the Newhart "game" that Hemingway might have loved...]

I'm brand new to the boards here and I'm looking forward to the Hemingway discussions. I thought I'd mainly be monitoring the mystery and thriller lists, but it's Hemingway who has brought about my first post.

I've always thought that Hemingway could more than hold his own when it came to the spirit of noir, and I'm happy to join in here--as much as time allows, of course. I've just re-read A CLEAN, WELL-LIGHTED PLACE, which is, to me, a perfect example of the noir mood, if not its setting. ("Well-lighted" itself is pretty much anti-noir, although the imagery of the old man in the shadow of the leaves of the tree largely makes up for it, at least in my mind.)

In any case, after spending a few days just reading messages here, I'm happy to have found an online stop where the contributors offer more than just another "here's a list of all of the books I've read this month" type of thing.

Have a good one!

-- Jim
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

bryan87613 wrote:

Laurel wrote:

Thanks, Laurel. Have you read much Hemingway? My middle daughter is a big Hemingway fan, but I have not read much.

I've only read enough to know that I'd rather be reading Dostoyevsky.
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

I've heard that the kitties are being protected by the Hemingway estate since some of the neighbors are complaining that the cats are a nuisance (what rotten humans). I read this in an article several months ago and now can't remember where I read it. Does anyone else recall this?

Laurel wrote:
Does he treat cats like he treats women??

No, he liked cats. There's a whole colony of polydactyls at his home.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Don't worry Laurel - some us will be reading Crime and Punishment with you over on the SF site :smileyhappy:

Laurel wrote:

bryan87613 wrote:

Laurel wrote:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

I hope not, because I'm reading The Brothers Karamazov!

pedsphleb wrote:
Don't worry Laurel - some us will be reading Crime and Punishment with you over on the SF site :smileyhappy:

Laurel wrote:

bryan87613 wrote:

Laurel wrote:

Contributor
bryan87613
0 Kudos

pedsphleb wrote:
I've heard that the kitties are being protected by the Hemingway estate since some of the neighbors are complaining that the cats are a nuisance (what rotten humans). I read this in an article several months ago and now can't remember where I read it. Does anyone else recall this?

I read that the Hemingway estate won in court--the cats are safe. I think I saw the item on Yahoo.com
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

bryan87613 wrote:

pedsphleb wrote:

I read that the Hemingway estate won in court--the cats are safe. I think I saw the item on Yahoo.com

Thank you, Bryan! My cats are safe, too, because the neighbor who put out a dish of anti-freeze for them moved away. (I keep them inside anyway, but they sometimes escape.)
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

jimgysin wrote:

Hi, Bob [Flashback to the Newhart "game" that Hemingway might have loved...]

I'm brand new to the boards here and I'm looking forward to the Hemingway discussions. I thought I'd mainly be monitoring the mystery and thriller lists, but it's Hemingway who has brought about my first post.

I've always thought that Hemingway could more than hold his own when it came to the spirit of noir, and I'm happy to join in here--as much as time allows, of course. I've just re-read A CLEAN, WELL-LIGHTED PLACE, which is, to me, a perfect example of the noir mood, if not its setting. ("Well-lighted" itself is pretty much anti-noir, although the imagery of the old man in the shadow of the leaves of the tree largely makes up for it, at least in my mind.)

In any case, after spending a few days just reading messages here, I'm happy to have found an online stop where the contributors offer more than just another "here's a list of all of the books I've read this month" type of thing.

Have a good one!

-- Jim

Great to have you. Wasn't that a drinking game?
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I didn't know Crime and Punishment had been reclassified as an SF novel! I might join you there:smileyhappy:

pedsphleb wrote:

Laurel wrote:

bryan87613 wrote:

Laurel wrote:

Contributor
MacNCheese
0 Kudos

I have actually never read Hemingway but he is a classic author so I thought I would find out why. I am excited to see everyones different responses to his writings.
Users Online
Currently online:73 members 575 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: