Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
jimgysin
0 Kudos

Re: Join us in February

fanuzzir wrote:
Great to have you. Wasn't that a drinking game?

Thanks! And yes, it was a Newhart-related drinking game. I was a fan of the show, but not the game.

I mentioned it because it's difficult to think of Hemingway without thinking--at least in part--about fishing, safaris and drinking. For years, I held the misconception that Hemingway had "invented" the martini, but even if he didn't, he surely appreciated the creativity of the person who did!

-- Jim
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

hello from ziki

[ Edited ]
In order not to be rude I want to say hi to everybody here. You'll soon know a bit of me by reading my posts. I am not sure what I'll be doing this coming month and how frequently I'll end up participating here. Hemingway is such a huge subject and I feel a month is too short. I do not know how to frame the subject for myself.

One interesting point for me to investigate is the difference between Hemingway and i.e. Melville (Moby-Dick) concerning their style. The long ongoing sentences of Melville as contrasted to the almost telegraphic short hand of Papa.

I think H's influence on modern writing was huge and seeped down to the roots. At school we were taught to write short sentences. However, after reading Melville recently I am not sure the long on-running sentences are all that bad and need to be thrown overboard. Having said that I didn't yet dig my way through them in Wharton.

Have a happy macho reading month ;-)
just kidding

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 02-04-200712:42 AM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

prefer Russians

Laurel wrote:I've only read enough to know that I'd rather be reading Dostoyevsky.

hmmm...you gotta wait one whole month, Laurel...meanwhile:

What is the big difference as you perceive it in your own reading experience. What exactly do you like and dislike about them both?

ziki
nosy and cheeky as usually
but call me curious
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

SF and reading??? watch that intern gossip!

For me SF is San Francisco and nothing else; swell place, one of a kind!

Now what is SF for you?

ziki
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: SF and reading??? watch that intern gossip!

Science Fiction? I know some folks will be reading Crime & Punishment in San Francisco but I don't think we have a San FRancisco board here (yet):smileyhappy:

ziki wrote:

Now what is SF for you?

ziki

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

ziki wrote:

Now what is SF for you?

ziki

We'll never tell! But it's not South of France.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote: I don't think we have a San FRancisco board here (yet):smileyhappy:

That of course is a very serious deficiency. Perhaps it can also be remedied. Dostoyevski on science fiction.....hmmm... when Asimov writes on Shakespeare nothing will surprise me!

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Laurel wrote:

ziki wrote:

Now what is SF for you?

ziki

We'll never tell! But it's not South of France.

hahahah... let me guess: Stellar Fun.

ziki
New User
homeschoolmom
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am new to all of this, but I am excited to join in on this new discussion! I haven't read Hemmingway in a long time, so I am looking forward to it!

I actually got his Complete Book of Short Stories as a gift when I was a teenager (I won't say how long ago that was!) but I have only read a few of them.

Talk to you all soon!

Homeschoolmom
Contributor
Abati001
0 Kudos

Re: Join us in February -while waiting -possible spoiler

chadadanielleKR wrote:
I have just discovered that the short story "A clean, Well-Lighted Place" is included in my French Book entitled "An introduction to American literature". It must be famous indeed! The book includes also the following picture: http://americanart.si.edu/collections/exhibits/hopper/p22-hawks.html
The caption says that this painting was probably inspired by the "Killers", one of Hemmingway's short story which Hopper greatly admired. But the tension and the feeling of solitude the painting conveys also evoke "A clean, Well-lighted Place"

Thank you for sharing this picture. =)
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

ziki wrote:

Choisya wrote: I don't think we have a San FRancisco board here (yet):smileyhappy:

That of course is a very serious deficiency. Perhaps it can also be remedied. Dostoyevski on science fiction.....hmmm... when Asimov writes on Shakespeare nothing will surprise me!

ziki

Jack London! I'd love to read Sea Wolf again.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

homeschoolmom wrote:
Hi,

I am new to all of this, but I am excited to join in on this new discussion! I haven't read Hemmingway in a long time, so I am looking forward to it!

I actually got his Complete Book of Short Stories as a gift when I was a teenager (I won't say how long ago that was!) but I have only read a few of them.

Talk to you all soon!

Homeschoolmom

We're happy to have you Homeschool, particularly as a long-ago reader of Hemingway with fresh eyes. Incidentally, you will not find a more devastating critique of Hemingway than Judith Fetterly's in The Resisting Reader. Classic, if blunt feminist riposte.
Bob
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: (Off topic) SF and reading??? watch that intern gossip!

Ziki: If you can ever tear yourself away from B&N books and read Bill Bryson's amusing 'The Mother Tongue' about the origins and uses of the English language, you will find that Shakespeare is quoted and used far more than we ever realise.

ziki wrote:

ziki

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

IMO it takes a lot of effort to get rid of the idea of Hemingway being a 'hairy chested symbol of American masculinity'(Eby) if women of today are not to be repelled by his MCP approach. He was, after all, a product of his times, and I can remember many MCP's from my youth. We also need to separate his life (or his life told by the Press and films) from his writing. If we read 'Hills Like White Elephants', for instance, a less macho storyline can be discerned and this is true of several of what are sometimes called his 'bitchy' stories involving women. Hemingway led a troubled life, especially where women were concerned, but whether his stories reflect his bitterness or whether they seek to overcome it, is a moot point.

fanuzzir wrote:

homeschoolmom wrote:
Hi,

Talk to you all soon!

Homeschoolmom

We're happy to have you Homeschool, particularly as a long-ago reader of Hemingway with fresh eyes. Incidentally, you will not find a more devastating critique of Hemingway than Judith Fetterly's in The Resisting Reader. Classic, if blunt feminist riposte.
Bob

New User
homeschoolmom
0 Kudos

Re: A Clean Well Lighted Place

Ok, I'm ready to talk about A Clean Well Lighted Place, is this where we do it, or will there be a new post soon? I am raring to go! I always liked this story, but didn't remember why. Now, after reading it again, my memory is refreshed!

Anyway, since I don't know how this online book club thing works, do I just start talking about the story, or what? I had some observations and wanted to see if others did as well.

I'll check back later!

homeschoolmom
Reader 2
stargazer1
0 Kudos

I just read Part One of Hemmingway's short stories up to Out Of season and the more I read his works the more I can appreciate his writings. I have been an avid reader of his and have read more than twenty-nine of his works including his selected letters. If you have read the fifth Column which is not a novel but a three act play.
You would begin to see Hemmingway not as just a writer but as playwrite also.

His stories are based on his true life experiences as a war correspondent but also as a ambulance driver for the American Red Cross during World War I and a sub chaser off the coast of Cuba during World War II.

His books on africa are based on his hunting expeditions to that country and he was also avid lover of bullfighting, hunting and fishing and has wrote books on them as well.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Making a thread for A Clean Well Lighted Place

Fanuzzir, our Moderator, might list this story as one to discuss Homeschoolmom but even if he doesn't you can post a thread yourself so that others can chime in. It would get lost if you started it here. Click on 'Message Listings' at the top of this page and then on New Message at the top of the page which is brought up. This will create a new thread which you can entitle in the subject line A Clean Well Lighted Place - then off you go! :smileyhappy:

homeschoolmom wrote:
Ok, I'm ready to talk about A Clean Well Lighted Place, is this where we do it, or will there be a new post soon? I am raring to go! I always liked this story, but didn't remember why. Now, after reading it again, my memory is refreshed!

Anyway, since I don't know how this online book club thing works, do I just start talking about the story, or what? I had some observations and wanted to see if others did as well.

I'll check back later!

homeschoolmom

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Mea culpa! I meant BK! :-P

Laurel wrote:
I hope not, because I'm reading The Brothers Karamazov!

pedsphleb wrote:
Don't worry Laurel - some us will be reading Crime and Punishment with you over on the SF site :smileyhappy:

Laurel wrote:

bryan87613 wrote:

Laurel wrote:

Very interesting profile, Bryan! Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks, Laurel. Have you read much Hemingway? My middle daughter is a big Hemingway fan, but I have not read much.

I've only read enough to know that I'd rather be reading Dostoyevsky.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
New User
mistybay
0 Kudos

Hi-I'm new to the book club and I'm confused about where the discussion takes place. I keep seeing the fact that the discussion begins today, but I'm not sure where. Any help will be appreciated.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

none

[ Edited ]

Message Edited by ziki on 02-06-200703:40 AM

Message Edited by ziki on 02-06-200703:40 AM

Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 553 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: