Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Short stories-your recommendations for further reading

[ Edited ]
Jim:
But among the other authors I like (and there are many), if I were to pick a few who I think have "timeless" potential, I would put Alan Furst at or near the top. Joseph Kanon is another candidate, but his output is insufficient. If Phillip Kerr were to write more stories along the lines of his BERLIN NOIR triology, and especially if he were to throw in a few short stories along the way, he would also rank up there.
-------

ziki:
My recomendations would be The Intrepreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780395927205&itm=2

------
Bob mentioned he likes Chekhov's short stories.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=Chekhov&z=y&cds2Pid=9481
------

Message Edited by ziki on 02-06-200704:26 AM

Contributor
Seattleslew
0 Kudos

Re: Short stories-your recommendations for further reading

Some of the more modern story writers who could be edged into the frame of "classics": Richard Yates, a very under-read writer who worked his stories down to near perfection. And Ken Foster, especially the collection "The Kind I'm Likely to Get." And there is Amy Hempel and Lorrie Moore, both for their sharp wit and intelligence. And one of my favorites from the 1950s and 1960s, Julio Cortezar, the famed but little read magical realism proponent who wrote that fantastic story "Blow Up" that was made into an experiemental film of the same name.
Users Online
Currently online: 13 members 242 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: