Contributor
beshockley
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Hi, I am Brian and I appear to be late to the party.

This is my first time reading Kafka. I chose this book club because I have seen reverences to Kafka, though I cannot seem to remember where, and I thought I should take the time to read some of his works.

I have read the book now, except the Mouse People story, and can say I thoroughly enjoyed his writing, though I do not always understand him. Kafka seems to be a strange bird, but he is gentle and nonabrasive. He actually seems able to laugh at himself, which is indicative of humbleness.
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

beshockley wrote:
Hi, I am Brian and I appear to be late to the party.

This is my first time reading Kafka. I chose this book club because I have seen reverences to Kafka, though I cannot seem to remember where, and I thought I should take the time to read some of his works.

I have read the book now, except the Mouse People story, and can say I thoroughly enjoyed his writing, though I do not always understand him. Kafka seems to be a strange bird, but he is gentle and nonabrasive. He actually seems able to laugh at himself, which is indicative of humbleness.

beshockley, very nice observation: Kafka laughs at himself.
He actually used to read these stories to his friends late at night, laughing. They meant the absurdity to be a dark, silly humor.
I am sorry that you're tuning in as the discussion is winding up. I hope you find something of use in these threads.
We'll stick around with Kafka until the end of January. Then I hope you jump into any one of the book clubs starting in February. I'll be leading a talk of Ford Madox Ford's The Good Soldier, and many other great clubs are starting up.
Ilana

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Users Online
Currently online:38 members 419 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: