Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Join us in January

[ Edited ]
Starting in January, we'll be discussing Kafka's The Metamorphosis and Other Stories. We'll read stories like "A Hunger Artist" and "The Judgment" to explore this great absurdist voice.

Kafka is a an especially interesting artist--a visionary whose writing was so distinct that he launched a new style. It’s rare when a writer actually does this: forms a fresh lens (the "Kafkaesque" ) for seeing whole parts of our world, from bureaucracy to anorexia to death.

We'll look at his aesthetics, major ideas, and humor, always remembering that Kafka was also fantastically funny. He read his stories at night to friends, hoping-—more than anything—-that they’d laugh.

Please enjoy the other clubs in motion now, and I'll see you in January, for a discussion that promises to be fun, strange, and educating.

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 12-20-200605:07 PM

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Join us in January

I look forward to this Ilana - Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year!

IlanaSimons wrote:
Starting in January, we'll be discussing Kafka's The Metamorphosis and Other Stories. We'll read stories like "A Hunger Artist" and "The Judgment" to explore this great absurdist voice.

Kafka is a an especially interesting artist--a visionary whose writing was so distinct that he launched a new style. It’s rare when a writer actually does this: forms a fresh lens (the "Kafkaesque" ) for seeing whole parts of our world, from bureaucracy to anorexia to death.

We'll look at his aesthetics, major ideas, and humor, always remembering that Kafka was also fantastically funny. He read his stories at night to friends, hoping-—more than anything—-that they’d laugh.

Please enjoy the other clubs in motion now, and I'll see you in January, for a discussion that promises to be fun, strange, and educating.

Frequent Contributor
holyboy
0 Kudos

Wow, Kafka. I'm going to have to review to prepare. I'm looking forward to this discussion too.

IlanaSimons wrote:

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

holyboy wrote:
Wow, Kafka. I'm going to have to review to prepare. I'm looking forward to this discussion too.

Great. I look forward to your input!
Ilana

Ilana

New User
vearnest
0 Kudos

IlanaSimons wrote:

I,too, will have to review. Hope to join the discussion. Thanks for the oportunity.
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

vearnest wrote:

IlanaSimons wrote:

I,too, will have to review. Hope to join the discussion. Thanks for the oportunity.

I'm really glad you might join us. Please don't worry that some of the discussion has already started. These are all short-ish stories, so just jump in whenever you're ready.
Ilana

Ilana

New User
johncakes
0 Kudos

yes, i want to participate but had a question i was hoping someone smarter than me could answer... i am reading now francine prose's book "reading like a writer"... and one thing i wonder about: is this analysis of authors work always an analysis of what author intneded, or is a big part of the meaning, etc, of works also unintended and simply a function of a given writers personalities/inclinations/nature as well as his given culture and time period... sometimes i feel the person doing the analysis is attributing too much to the author, rather than viewing some of this on other factors... i just wanted a better understanding of this so that i could feel more comfortable about what we're doing..

i am now readinf kafka so that can join the discussion... but i get uncomfortable when there seems to be a tendency to attribute evry possible meaning/psychlogy/symbol, etc., to something specifically planned and intended by kafka rather than partly a function of nature/culture/society/time period... any thoughts to help my perspective and understanding would be appreciared,thank you, johncake
Contributor
gwenn
0 Kudos

I am also interested in seeing a reply to your question, it is a good one. I haven't got my book yet it should arrive by Saturday I think.
Praise ignorance, for what man has not encountered he has not destroyed. -Wendell Berry
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

johncakes wrote:
yes, i want to participate but had a question i was hoping someone smarter than me could answer... i am reading now francine prose's book "reading like a writer"... and one thing i wonder about: is this analysis of authors work always an analysis of what author intneded, or is a big part of the meaning, etc, of works also unintended and simply a function of a given writers personalities/inclinations/nature as well as his given culture and time period... sometimes i feel the person doing the analysis is attributing too much to the author, rather than viewing some of this on other factors... i just wanted a better understanding of this so that i could feel more comfortable about what we're doing..

i am now readinf kafka so that can join the discussion... but i get uncomfortable when there seems to be a tendency to attribute evry possible meaning/psychlogy/symbol, etc., to something specifically planned and intended by kafka rather than partly a function of nature/culture/society/time period... any thoughts to help my perspective and understanding would be appreciared,thank you, johncake

Hi Johncake,
Nice questions.
I think we do and should go beyond an artist's own intentions when we ask what texts mean, or what effects they have on readers.
I like to think of the critic-as-therapist. If a client comes into a therapist's office, the therapist wants to know what's going on with this client. He looks for patterns in the guy's life: Does he wash his hands five times in the morning? Is his voice pressured and fast? What do these things show about the man and how he makes meaning?
The therapist/literary critic wants to look for the patterns in his client/book--to see how that client/book produces meaning. A lot of these patterns or behaviors are not done consciously by the client/book.
So I can say that the bug in Metamorphosis carries meaning, but it's not just the one meaning Kafka intended.
I'll be excited to hear what others have to say
Ilana

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 01-04-200704:49 PM

Ilana

Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

I going to out in my summer book order and included in it is the volume you people disscussed in Janurary. I hope I can still join in on the little bit of you left disscussing it.
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Users Online
Currently online: 40 members 265 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: