Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

The Metamorphosis: Question 3: Grete, The Sister

Question 3: Grete, The Sister

Grete is an interesting character in the story. Because she’s a woman and younger than Gregor, her fate isn’t fixed; she’s a sort of test case in humanity here. Get us thinking about Grete through addressing any of the following:

A. Grete makes the most concerted effort to understand Gregor. What is Kafka saying about the way humans care for one another?

B. What do you make of Grete’s violin-playing? Gregor has lost the ability to speak but still communicates with Grete, through intuition, gestures, and music. What does music do that language doesn’t?

C. In the end, Grete springs to her feet, stretches her pretty body, and marries, signifying a return to normalcy. How do you read this last “triumph”?

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: The Metamorphosis: Question 3: Grete, The Sister

I came across this interesting 'blog' about Grete on the web. I particularly like the way he turns the analysis around to deal with his own reactions to the book.:-

'But the point that Kafka intelligently eludes is Grete's fate. Is it same as Gregor's ? or is it not ? In the center of a family politics and Kafka's ruthless diagnosis of the family illness, Grete stands as a 'current' lead and a 'potential' backstage extra. I think Grete is a victim-in-making too, but as any such victim she doesn't realize it, but enjoys her metamorphosis. Also it is not necessary to realize it, it might make life still more difficult to endure. Grete Samsa will get married or will continue to work or might turn into a lady bug tomorrow but how does it effect her today, what's the 'use' of Kafka's creation if it can't help any of the Gregors and the Gretes to escape from their fates. Why should we even read it. These are some questions that come to my mind. I have no answers. Why should I read Kafka and go to enlightened depression, may be because if I ever see a Gregor or a Grete, I will understand them or I will know that life machine runs for petty purposes, and my life is no exception and I, being so rational and benevolent in my eyes, had been torturous for years, to the knowns and the unknowns. Shall I do penance after I read Kafka or shall I change myself or shall I accept the my fate and of others too. One way to look at any art is a tussle between oppressor and the oppressed and an artist always uncovering the ways used my oppressor to oppress, but in Kafka's world both oppressor and oppressed are the same, at the same time, in the same space, living in some mutually acceptable sadomasochist harmony, a mix that lets us survive. Does it tell me more about human nature or the world I live in or myself ? I think so.' (Anurag).

IlanaSimons wrote:
Question 3: Grete, The Sister

Grete is an interesting character in the story. Because she’s a woman and younger than Gregor, her fate isn’t fixed; she’s a sort of test case in humanity here. Get us thinking about Grete through addressing any of the following:

A. Grete makes the most concerted effort to understand Gregor. What is Kafka saying about the way humans care for one another?

B. What do you make of Grete’s violin-playing? Gregor has lost the ability to speak but still communicates with Grete, through intuition, gestures, and music. What does music do that language doesn’t?

C. In the end, Grete springs to her feet, stretches her pretty body, and marries, signifying a return to normalcy. How do you read this last “triumph”?

Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

A. Kafka may be saying that we sometimes make an effort to care for one another only out of a sense of obligation or that we often get tired of the prolonged effort.

B. Music is a form of art that is heard rather than seen. That Gregor can still hear the music and appreciate and respond to it shows that he has not lost his humanity even if he has lost his ability to communicate by language with humans.

C. On the surface, this looks like a return to normalcy. But it is really an admittance of how easily she just brushed off the tragedy of the loss of her own brother and what hand she played in it with her lack of care and neglect.

Denise
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Part II: Understanding

[ Edited ]
Why didn't she try to understand why he was on the wall?

IlanaSimons wrote:
Grete makes the most concerted effort to understand Gregor.

Message Edited by pmath on 02-01-200705:00 PM

New User
Trishloves
0 Kudos

Hey i have been wanting to read this!! do tell me how good it is.
I Love reading!!!!!!
Users Online
Currently online: 40 members 638 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: