Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Community Thread

Hi. Thanks for joining us. Introduce yourselves. Feel free to use this space for any off-topic discussion.

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

Re: Community Thread

I am wondering if this would be a good thing to read first if you have never read Dostoevsky before?
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

historybuff234 wrote:
I am wondering if this would be a good thing to read first if you have never read Dostoevsky before?

My first Dostoevsky book was Crime and Punishment. I was about thirteen when I read it, and I was fascinated by it. Then I went on and read and loved The Brothers Karamazov. This is my first time to read The Double, and I am finding it really intriguing. I think this would be a good place for you to start, HB, and I'm sure it won't be where you stop.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

I think I am going to read Crime and Punisment first. But I am not sure.
-Albert Einstein
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

historybuff234 wrote:
I think I am going to read Crime and Punisment first. But I am not sure.

"The Double" is short enough to read in a few days, so if you're looking for discussion, join us (with very little time investment!).
For one, "The Double" will show you how Kafka and Dostoevsky are linked, in case you've ever read Kafka. Both guys are surrealists of sorts, and show the burden of self-consciousness, of thinking about identity and social belonging.

Ilana

New User
naihf
0 Kudos

Hi all,

This will be my introduction to Dostoevsky. I'm very much looking forward to it :smileyhappy:

~naihf~
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

naihf wrote:
Hi all,

This will be my introduction to Dostoevsky. I'm very much looking forward to it :smileyhappy:

~naihf~

Hi naihf.
I'm glad you're joining in.
Ilana

Ilana

Frequent Contributor
sueott
0 Kudos

Is there a time frame for this discussion?
I have read Dostoyevsky before but wanted to challenge my brain more.
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

sueott wrote:
Is there a time frame for this discussion?
I have read Dostoyevsky before but wanted to challenge my brain more.

Hi sueott,
This discussion will happen through March. It would be great if you'd join us. "The Double" is a short work--so even if you just dip in, we'd like to hear your impressions as you go.
Ilana

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 03-07-200703:30 PM

Ilana

Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

Hey everybody, I have included in my summer book order The Brothers Karamazov. I wil be in Iowa for my cousin's wedding and there I will be at a BN at least once and if I see them I am also going to buy Notes From the Underground, The Double, and other stories and Crime and Punishment.
-Albert Einstein
Contributor
MacIan
0 Kudos

That's great! It reminds me of that New Yorker cartoon where the guys is being arrested for reading Brothers K on the beach (as in, it's not summer reading)... I read it in the summer though... hands down the best book I've ever read!

Is anything being discussed now? (I'm new at this.) I'd love to jump in on a discussion of any Dostoevsky work!
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi McIan,
The Dostoevsky discussion is actually over now, sorry to say. We might pick up another of his books soon. If you can jump into any current discussion, that would be great. At the Book Clubs Home page, look at the "author appearances" and "current discussions" lists.
Ilana

MacIan wrote:
That's great! It reminds me of that New Yorker cartoon where the guys is being arrested for reading Brothers K on the beach (as in, it's not summer reading)... I read it in the summer though... hands down the best book I've ever read!

Is anything being discussed now? (I'm new at this.) I'd love to jump in on a discussion of any Dostoevsky work!

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 06-02-200710:36 AM

Ilana

Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
The Dostoevsky discussion is done now? I am saddened. Mothing against B&N Book Clubs but I think that you really can't put a deadline on Dostoevsky it should be like the American or British classics board it keeps going on and disscussed more of his books. The reason why I am saddened more than normal is because I fianlly bought a few of Dostoevsky's books. Crime and Punishmnet and the one you here were discussing, Notes From the Underground, the Double, and other stories. It's not like I can't read what all of you here wrote, it's just that it means more when you can respond and have the people respond to you about the book.

Message Edited by historybuff234 on 06-13-2007 05:54 PM
-Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor
piihonua
0 Kudos

HI History buff,
I agree with you on the potential of extending discussions on certain works, especially Russian literature. Sorry to have just responded to your message but I'm willing to extend the discussion on Dostoyevsky and his other works apart from The Double if you're willing.
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

Yeah sure! I'll discuss it with you! If your wiling. Sorry I didn't respond to you sooner, but I thought no one would ever reply and I was on vacation. Whe do you want to start? I have began Notes From the Underground, but I'm not that far into it.
-Albert Einstein
Users Online
Currently online: 18 members 568 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: