Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Dostoevsky: The Man and His Other Works

Here, post any information you have about Dostoevsky, the man. What was the story of his life? What literary goals or social concerns did he have?
Also feel free to post personal reactions. What do you make of his voice? What have you thought of this or his other books?

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Contributor
Jimbo1580
0 Kudos

Re: Dostoevsky: The Man and His Other Works

I have read a few books by and about Dostoevsky. He was a very complex man and the more you read his works, the more you see how that complexity is expressed in the themes and actions of his characters. He really had an insight into the human mind and soul and I think he was both troubled and proud of it. I think that his experience in prison and closeness to death by execution really shaped his later works and really made him the literary great that he was.
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Jimbo1580 wrote:
I have read a few books by and about Dostoevsky. He was a very complex man and the more you read his works, the more you see how that complexity is expressed in the themes and actions of his characters. He really had an insight into the human mind and soul and I think he was both troubled and proud of it. I think that his experience in prison and closeness to death by execution really shaped his later works and really made him the literary great that he was.

What are some of the books you've read by and about Dostoevsky, Jim?
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Malcolm Muggeridge has a fine essay about Dostoevsky in his book A Third Testament. You can download it for free here (go to bottom of page):

http://www.plough.com/ebooks/thirdtestament.html

or purchase it here:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=muggeridge+third+testament&z=y&cds2Pid=9481
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Contributor
Jimbo1580
0 Kudos

Books I have read by him are The Brothers Karamazov, Demons (or The Possessed), and Notes From Underground.

The books I have read about him are a short biography about him and others called "Dostoevsky, Kierrkegaard, Nietzsche, and Kafka" by William Hubben and "Political Apocalypse" by Ellis Sandoz, which is specifically a study of the Grand Inquisitor chapter in The Brothers Karamazov, but also discusses him and his themes.
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Jimbo1580 wrote:
Books I have read by him are The Brothers Karamazov, Demons (or The Possessed), and Notes From Underground.

The books I have read about him are a short biography about him and others called "Dostoevsky, Kierrkegaard, Nietzsche, and Kafka" by William Hubben and "Political Apocalypse" by Ellis Sandoz, which is specifically a study of the Grand Inquisitor chapter in The Brothers Karamazov, but also discusses him and his themes.

I just read "The Grand Inquisitor" today, and "Political Apocalypse" is a perfect name for it.
Contributor
Jimbo1580
0 Kudos

That chapter and the the chapter before it "Rebellion" are pretty amazing. I've reread them recently after reading "Political Apocolypse".

"Political Apolcolypse" is pretty good. The Brothers Karamazov is very symbolic and this book brings to light a lot of the symbolism and references to both the Bible and Dostoevsky's other works. I would recommend it if you have the time.
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Jimbo1580 wrote:
That chapter and the the chapter before it "Rebellion" are pretty amazing. I've reread them recently after reading "Political Apocolypse".

"Political Apolcolypse" is pretty good. The Brothers Karamazov is very symbolic and this book brings to light a lot of the symbolism and references to both the Bible and Dostoevsky's other works. I would recommend it if you have the time.

Thanks. I've just found a copy. It occurred to me while reading Ivan's explanation of how he came to think up his "poem" that perhaps "The Brothers Karamazov" as a whole is Dostoevsky's Morality Play. What you just said about symbolism would add to that idea.
Contributor
Jimbo1580
0 Kudos

"The Brothers Karamazov" defintiely shows the moral struggle that Dostoevsky was dealing with in his head, as well as the struggle to believe in God when there is so much evidence to convince him not to. When younger, he was part of a revolutionary group and probably an atheist. Then, after imprisonment, I think he realized he could not live that way anymore and that he would go crazy. I think he tried to force himself to try to believe in God and some sort of ultimate justice because if there wasn't, then he realized that our lives were then meaningless and there would be no justice...leading to Ivan's famous quote (to paraphrase because I forget what the exact quote is) "if there is no God, then everything is legal".

I hope I didn't just talk in circles!
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Jimbo wrote:
"I think he tried to force himself to try to believe in God and some sort of ultimate justice because if there wasn't, then he realized that our lives were then meaningless and there would be no justice."

Sort of like Donne's "BATTER my heart, three person'd God."

'...leading to Ivan's famous quote (to paraphrase because I forget what the exact quote is) "if there is no God, then everything is legal".'

This morning I reread Ivan's discussion leading up to "The Grand Inquisitor" and got really worried about him. By obsessing so much over evil and yet doing nothing to help those he can help, he is headed for a mental break-down.

Dostevsky finally wrote to a correspondent:

"If someone proved to me that Christ is outside the truth and that in reality the truth were outside of Christ, then I should prefer to remain with Christ rather than with the truth."
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Early Russian biographers of FD thought that he had epilepsy and Freud's clinical observations outlined in Dostoevsky and Parricide were for years taken as the definitive authority on family violence. In that essay Freud argues (wrongly, subsequent critics have almost unanimously agreed) that Dostoevsky's illness was not physiological but the consequence of hysterical reactions brought on by wanting his father dead and feeling guilt when his father was murdered. (Again, shades of Kafka...) Freud used the term hystero-epilepsy to describe Dostoevsky's condition, although other sources more generally agree that the novelist was suffering from temporal lobe epilepsy brought on by secondary syphilis. He is also believed to have suffered from hypergraphia - the compulsion to write, or to communicate.

Whatever his illness(es), he was a troubled soul.:smileysad:
BN Editor
LitEditor
0 Kudos

Laurel wrote:
Malcolm Muggeridge has a fine essay about Dostoevsky in his book A Third Testament. You can download it for free here (go to bottom of page):

http://www.plough.com/ebooks/thirdtestament.html

or purchase it here:...

Nice find, Laurel -- and here's a more direct link to A Third Testament.

-Bill T.
Lit. and Fiction Editor

See the latest news about book clubs in the Book Clubs Blog.
Users Online
Currently online: 35 members 883 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: