Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
saltydog
0 Kudos

Dostoevsky's effect on the reader

I think I'm starting a new thread but I'm not sure. Haven't figured out how to deal with messages yet.

I'm having a hard time reading "The Double." I find it difficult to sympathize with Golyadkin and imposible to emphathize with him. So it is difficult to "get into" the character. And I flip flop from being impatient and being bored. Dostoevsky goes on and on and, in such a predictable manner that there is no sense of suspense. Perhaps most importantly I actually begin to feel depressed when I read Dostoevsky - with all of his work, not just this one.

I'm wondering how reading this selection might effect others.
Salty Dog
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Dostoevsky's effect on the reader

saltydog wrote:
I think I'm starting a new thread but I'm not sure. Haven't figured out how to deal with messages yet.

I'm having a hard time reading "The Double." I find it difficult to sympathize with Golyadkin and imposible to emphathize with him. So it is difficult to "get into" the character. And I flip flop from being impatient and being bored. Dostoevsky goes on and on and, in such a predictable manner that there is no sense of suspense. Perhaps most importantly I actually begin to feel depressed when I read Dostoevsky - with all of his work, not just this one.

From Belinsky’s statements:
“Despite the fact that the story has some sparkles of a great talent, the darkness is too thick to let the reader see the light.”

It was Belinsky’s response to the stories “The Double” and “Mr. Prokharchin”. Belinsky did not get the point of “The Double” and blamed the author for being lengthy. He didn’t like that Dostoevsky described insanity of the main character. He considered it to be unacceptable in literature. In fact, “The Double” is filled with belief in good forces within a man. A man is dual in his nature and combines both good and evil will. This idea will thread his new novels. It will appear in “The Devils” and will be fully revealed in his last novel “The Brothers Karamazov”.

From Dostoevsky’s letter to his brother Mikhail:
"I’ve got a terrible drawback – unbounded self-esteem and ambition.
The form of the story “The Double” is definitely not felicitous. Much is written hastily. I’ve already lost heart for some time. Along with brilliant pages there are foul and trashy ones. And it created a temporary hell for me and I drowned in grief…”

Diffidence, disappointment, disorder, debts, distress and loneliness – that’s what the beginning of the literary path of the 25-year-old writer was like. Dostoevsky always thought how to earn good money and made incredible plans about it, but being a kind, unpractical and credulous man he was constantly in low water.

A stunning success of the first novel and a complete failure of the second one disturbed his mental equilibrium: he turned to be extremely reserved and irritable. He began to keep off his acquaintances. Dostoevsky quarreled with Turgenev, who provoked him with his sneers. The writer was pestered with epigrams, rumours, accusations of boasting and self-conceit. Dostoevsky broke with his old surroundings, with Nekrasov and Belinsky’s literary circle, and made new acquaintances.

from: http://fyodordostoevskychronicle.blogspot.com/2006/12/mental-equilibrium-disturbed.html

---------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fyodor_Dostoevsky
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Double%3A_A_Petersburg_Poem
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Interesting, Ziki! In the last novel, "The Brothers Karamazov," we the three parts of man divided into three men: the sensual Dmitri, the intellectual Ivan, and the spiritual Alyosha.

ziki wrote:

saltydog wrote:

“Despite the fact that the story has some sparkles of a great talent, the darkness is too thick to let the reader see the light.”

It was Belinsky’s response to the stories “The Double” and “Mr. Prokharchin”. Belinsky did not get the point of “The Double” and blamed the author for being lengthy. He didn’t like that Dostoevsky described insanity of the main character. He considered it to be unacceptable in literature. In fact, “The Double” is filled with belief in good forces within a man. A man is dual in his nature and combines both good and evil will. This idea will thread his new novels. It will appear in “The Devils” and will be fully revealed in his last novel “The Brothers Karamazov”.

The form of the story “The Double” is definitely not felicitous. Much is written hastily. I’ve already lost heart for some time. Along with brilliant pages there are foul and trashy ones. And it created a temporary hell for me and I drowned in grief…”

Diffidence, disappointment, disorder, debts, distress and loneliness – that’s what the beginning of the literary path of the 25-year-old writer was like. Dostoevsky always thought how to earn good money and made incredible plans about it, but being a kind, unpractical and credulous man he was constantly in low water.

A stunning success of the first novel and a complete failure of the second one disturbed his mental equilibrium: he turned to be extremely reserved and irritable. He began to keep off his acquaintances. Dostoevsky quarreled with Turgenev, who provoked him with his sneers. The writer was pestered with epigrams, rumours, accusations of boasting and self-conceit. Dostoevsky broke with his old surroundings, with Nekrasov and Belinsky’s literary circle, and made new acquaintances.

from: http://fyodordostoevskychronicle.blogspot.com/2006/12/mental-equilibrium-disturbed.html

---------

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Great post.
What do you all think: Is the book great in some spots and drowning in others, like he feared?
What are your favorite kinds of works: polished or craggy?

ziki wrote:

---------

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Users Online
Currently online: 12 members 600 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: