Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Notes From The Underground

This file is for those who want to discuss this story.
ziki
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Re: Notes From Underground

[ Edited ]
Sweet. I have the Pevear and Volkhonsky translation (which unfortunately does not have "The Double" - I may have to borrow that from the library since I have a deep-seeded loathing for mass market paperbacks).

ziki wrote:
This file is for those who want to discuss this story.
ziki

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 03-08-200704:46 PM

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

I don't know if I'll have time to finish it this month, but I'd like to at least start reading it with whoever else wants to.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Laurel wrote:
I don't know if I'll have time to finish it this month, but I'd like to at least start reading it with whoever else wants to.

Maybe we can continue here next month. This forum will be available.
ziki
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Re: Notes From The Underground

I'm responding to this four months after the last post, probably long after everyone has tired of discussing it, but I really have nothing better to do at the moment, so here I am! I read Notes from Underground in school, and I loved it. I especially enjoyed the first part, because I found the psychology of the Underground Man to be absolutely fascinating. It made me think A LOT, which is something I admire and love in a writer. I honestly never would have thought of that stuff had I not been introduced to it by Dostoevsky, but it makes perfect sense, really. If anyone else wants to talk about this, please do, and if not, I apologize for trying unsuccessfully to pull this subject out of the B & N Book Clubs crypt.
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 542 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: