Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
saltydog
0 Kudos

Other Doubles

Obviously the theme of doubles in literature is not dead. I'm currently reading a library book wherein the main character leaves his ranch on a bus, the bus crashes, and he comes to in a TV studio where he is an actor playing himself in a series that is shooting!
Salty Dog
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: Other Doubles

saltydog wrote:
Obviously the theme of doubles in literature is not dead. I'm currently reading a library book wherein the main character leaves his ranch on a bus, the bus crashes, and he comes to in a TV studio where he is an actor playing himself in a series that is shooting!

There's "The Secret Sharer" by Joseph Conrad. Just a hint of a double there, I think. I need to read it again--it's been years! I think Joseph Conrad is amazing.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Contributor
Jimbo1580
0 Kudos

I know it not quite the same thing, but while reading this book I keep thinking about the movie "A Beautiful Mind" with Russel Crowe. I think it is similar to this book because it is very uncomfortable to see the character (Sr. / John Nash) do what he does when you know that the other character (Jr / Charles) does not really exist.
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

saltydog wrote:

And isn't there a movie out now where the protagonist discovers that his life is written down in the novel he's reading?

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

"Stranger than Fiction" - haven't seen it yet, it's on my Netflix queue. Emma Thompson plays the writer and Will Farrell plays the protagonist.

IlanaSimons wrote:

saltydog wrote:

And isn't there a movie out now where the protagonist discovers that his life is written down in the novel he's reading?

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Users Online
Currently online: 50 members 649 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: