Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Pumpernickel
0 Kudos

The Idiot = 2 Films Seen This Weekend + Your thoughts ?

Hi! I'm a newby here, so hello to you all ! (~_^)

I'm from São Paulo, Brazil. SP is the 6th largest city in the world, and one of the great advantages it has -- as many other big cities elsewhere -- is the diversity of its cultural life.

Close to my house there is this wonderful 'Cinemateca', in an old and very large well-preserved buiding, that brings all sorts of Film Shows and Festivals. This past week they were showing several films grouped as "Russian Readings" and I saw 2 versions of Dostoevsky's "The Idiot":

On Saturday I saw a great 1946 French production by Georges Lampin, with Edwige Feulière, Lucien Coëdel and Jean Debucourt.

And yesterday I saw a 1958 Russian production by Ivan Pyriev, with Yuri Yakovlev, Yuliya Borisova, Nikita Podgornyj and Vera Pashennaya, which was also very good.

I liked the French version better, though. First because I understand French, and second because I'm sure that much of what was said in Russian was never translated as people would exchange 2 or 3 sentences and the subtitles would bring just one. Also because the French version was in beauuutiful black and white whereas the Russian one had this redish color in the whole film that made people -- most of all -- look weird.

I came home and started reading the book , which I have had for some time now , but never got round to. (o.0) The same old problem we all have : so much to read and so little time...

The funny thing is : I've only read the first 50 pages so far, but I can already see that despite the lousy translation and subtitles, the Russian version was closer to the book !

At any rate, if those of you who have read The Idiot feel like posting anything on it , I'd love to read your opinions !
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Re: The Idiot = 2 Films Seen This Weekend + Your thoughts ?

Is this the same Pumpernickel from the old BNU? If it is, you are so NOT a newbie!! :smileyvery-happy: Welcome back!

Pumpernickel wrote:
Hi! I'm a newby here, so hello to you all ! (~_^)

I'm from São Paulo, Brazil. SP is the 6th largest city in the world, and one of the great advantages it has -- as many other big cities elsewhere -- is the diversity of its cultural life.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Contributor
Pumpernickel
0 Kudos

Hi!

Oh, BUHLieeve me; (o.0) I do feel like a newby here, as this has changed SO much it looks like a different planet ! (~_^) Heh.

But YOU had a different nick there, didn't you ? Amazing... I must have a very poor memory for nicks in this crazy Web, sorry (-.-) ! (0__0) BUT : Good that you recognized me !
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

I'm still Melissa W. Choisya's here, and Laurel, Ziki, Kathy H, Danielle...lot's more. :smileyhappy:
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Users Online
Currently online: 16 members 615 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: