Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

space here

IlanaSimons wrote:
Retired psychologist! Wonderful. (I'm in training to become one myself.)

Ahhh... that is why you are listening so much & holding the space.....great.
ziki
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: difference between guilt and shame

[ Edited ]

ziki wrote:

IlanaSimons wrote: Dostoevsky seems to have been intrigued with what shame can trigger in us.

Now that is a topic!

Isn't the general distinction between guilt and shame concerned with what is wrong? Guilt: I did something wrong. I harmed someone.
Shame: I (the whole me) is also wrong. I do bad things, I am faulty.

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 03-06-200703:06 AM

Yes Ziki--That's what a lot of modern psychological studies are saying: that they're two different states. In Shame, I feel "I'm wrong!" and in Guilt, only "the deed is wrong." So, shame is more crippling. Studies have found that shame forces an avoidance response, a desire to disappear. (Check out how many times in the book Golyadkin says he wants to disappear into a hole in the ground.) People who feel shame also tend to be blame others for shame-inducing events. (I.e. the way Golyadkin can't understand the relationship between himself and events...so he imagines there's a whole other Golyadkin doing things...and blames him for his misfortunes.)

Guilt, on the other hand, can more often motivate us in a more moral direction. Guilty people have a larger impulse to make up for their wrongs, to remain engaged in interpersonal conversation.

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 03-06-200708:32 AM

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Frequent Contributor
PaulK
0 Kudos

IlanaSimons wrote:

ziki wrote:

IlanaSimons wrote: Dostoevsky seems to have been intrigued with what shame can trigger in us.

Now that is a topic!

Isn't the general distinction between guilt and shame concerned with what is wrong? Guilt: I did something wrong. I harmed someone.
Shame: I (the whole me) is also wrong. I do bad things, I am faulty.

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 03-06-200703:06 AM

Yes Ziki--That's what a lot of modern psychological studies are saying: that they're two different states. In Shame, I feel "I'm wrong!" and in Guilt, only "the deed is wrong." So, shame is more crippling. Studies have found that shame forces an avoidance response, a desire to disappear. (Check out how many times in the book Golyadkin says he wants to disappear into a hole in the ground.) People who feel shame also tend to be blame others for shame-inducing events. (I.e. the way Golyadkin can't understand the relationship between himself and events...so he imagines there's a whole other Golyadkin doing things...and blames him for his misfortunes.)

Guilt, on the other hand, can more often motivate us in a more moral direction. Guilty people have a larger impulse to make up for their wrongs, to remain engaged in interpersonal conversation.

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 03-06-200708:32 AM

It has been about 40 years since I read Crime and Punishment but would you say that was more about guilt than shame?
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

PaulK wrote:
It has been about 40 years since I read Crime and Punishment but would you say that was more about guilt than shame?

What a great question. It's been a really long time for me too, so I'd like other people to jump in here. But I do think Dostoevsky's Raskolnikov does end up with the more moral sense of "guilt" rather than the merely self-protective sense of "shame" in Crime and Punishment. I think some critics have said that that novel moves us from arrogance to acceptance. In the beginning, Raskolnikov kills the pawnbroker because he feels proud--like a leader, exempt from the law, prepared to set his own moral standards. But in the end, he sees that that "independence" was deluded, and that he hurt another human being. Is that true? Do you all think he moves from a sense of arrogant self-love to a more nuanced understanding of how his actions affect other people?

Ilana

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

IlanaSimons wrote:

PaulK wrote:

What a great question. It's been a really long time for me too, so I'd like other people to jump in here. But I do think Dostoevsky's Raskolnikov does end up with the more moral sense of "guilt" rather than the merely self-protective sense of "shame" in Crime and Punishment. I think some critics have said that that novel moves us from arrogance to acceptance. In the beginning, Raskolnikov kills the pawnbroker because he feels proud--like a leader, exempt from the law, prepared to set his own moral standards. But in the end, he sees that that "independence" was deluded, and that he hurt another human being. Is that true? Do you all think he moves from a sense of arrogant self-love to a more nuanced understanding of how his actions affect other people?

It's been more than 40 years for me, too, but I think that is what happened to him. And, if I remember correctly, his understanding of his guilt and responsibility led to his repentance and redemption. We all need to read Crime and Punishment again! I've been wondering whether reading it as an adult will be a far different experience from reading it as a teenager.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Contributor
SumayyaA
0 Kudos

As I was reading the threads beginning the discussion on the difference between guilt and shame, the thought of Raskolnikov in Crime and Punishment also came into my mind. Having read it a year ago I can say that his character is very much different from Golyadkin. R. after committing the murder, continues on with life even conversing and arguing with investigators very coherently. To the point that they really don't think it could have been him. Although R.'s physical being is affected - he is continually feverish, etc. But there is a sense of guilt, the whole point of the punishment being the crime itself - one can never get away from it.

I have only just finished the first chapter of The Double, and I am only speculating at this point that G. has committed some sort of crime by the way he is behaving. It is obvious that he doesn't know what to do or how to behave.

Interestingly enough, as I write this I realize that the reader is present when the murder takes place in Crime and Punishment - and you ride along on the psychological journey of Raskolnikov. But in The Double even before the you know what Golyadkin has done, you can feel there is something he has done that has caused him to act this way, to feel shame. I think if Crime and Punishment had begun in the same manner it would take much longer to realize that Raskolnikov had committed any sort of crime.

Yes, I think reading Crime and Punishment again, as an adult would be a great idea. I honestly felt it was one of the best reads I have had in years. (It was my first time reading it though).
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Terrific post, SumayyaA.
There is definitely some sense of a crime from the begining of "The Double." In Ch 2, Golyadkin cryptically tells his doctor, "They plotted the murder of someone.... the moral murder of someone" (20-21).
But the plot itself doesn't center on some clear crime like Crime and Punishment does. I'll be interested to see how the backdrop of criminality plays out for you as you read.
In "The Double," if anyone committed a crime, he probably didn't mean to. I don't know if you've read Kafka, but this was definitely a theme Kafka inherited from this story: a pervading sense of some damning crime, without any real crime having been committed. It's just the burden of human consciousness....
Though anyone who's familiar with Dostoevsky's religious beliefs, in contrast to Kafka's less-religious beliefs, should chime in here.
We've got characters who feel terribly guilty, for no good reason.

the

SumayyaA wrote:
As I was reading the threads beginning the discussion on the difference between guilt and shame, the thought of Raskolnikov in Crime and Punishment also came into my mind. Having read it a year ago I can say that his character is very much different from Golyadkin. R. after committing the murder, continues on with life even conversing and arguing with investigators very coherently. To the point that they really don't think it could have been him. Although R.'s physical being is affected - he is continually feverish, etc. But there is a sense of guilt, the whole point of the punishment being the crime itself - one can never get away from it.

I have only just finished the first chapter of The Double, and I am only speculating at this point that G. has committed some sort of crime by the way he is behaving. It is obvious that he doesn't know what to do or how to behave.

Interestingly enough, as I write this I realize that the reader is present when the murder takes place in Crime and Punishment - and you ride along on the psychological journey of Raskolnikov. But in The Double even before the you know what Golyadkin has done, you can feel there is something he has done that has caused him to act this way, to feel shame. I think if Crime and Punishment had begun in the same manner it would take much longer to realize that Raskolnikov had committed any sort of crime.

Yes, I think reading Crime and Punishment again, as an adult would be a great idea. I honestly felt it was one of the best reads I have had in years. (It was my first time reading it though).

Ilana

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

IlanaSimons wrote:
Terrific post, SumayyaA.
There is definitely some sense of a crime from the begining of "The Double." In Ch 2, Golyadkin cryptically tells his doctor, "They plotted the murder of someone.... the moral murder of someone" (20-21).
But the plot itself doesn't center on some clear crime like Crime and Punishment does. I'll be interested to see how the backdrop of criminality plays out for you as you read.
In "The Double," if anyone committed a crime, he probably didn't mean to. I don't know if you've read Kafka, but this was definitely a theme Kafka inherited from this story: a pervading sense of some damning crime, without any real crime having been committed. It's just the burden of human consciousness....
Though anyone who's familiar with Dostoevsky's religious beliefs, in contrast to Kafka's less-religious beliefs, should chime in here.
We've got characters who feel terribly guilty, for no good reason.

the

SumayyaA wrote:

Dostoevsky wroth "The Double" before the time of his near-death experience and his imprisonment. I don't think he had much of a religious life at that time. He had experienced the loss of his mother to disease, however, and his father had been violently murdered by his serfs for his drunken rages and lechery, so there certainly would have been a sense of loss and, perhaps, shame. By the time he wrote "Crime and Punishment," Dostoevsky was a different man.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Users Online
Currently online: 63 members 641 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: