Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 3,107
Registered: ‎10-27-2006
0 Kudos

question about the book as such

Hi,
I wonder if this a new format to all BN classics?

I opened the book and in a matter of minutes it fell into pieces. It was really badly glued. I hope to exchange it and hopefuly this was the exception to the rule. I do not like the font either and I prefered the previous format better.

What are we to expect in the future?

ziki
Scribe
Laurel
Posts: 5,747
Registered: ‎10-29-2006
0 Kudos

Re: question about the book as such

Mine is fine, Ziki. Perhaps you need tech support, like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRBIVRwvUeE



ziki wrote:
Hi,
I wonder if this a new format to all BN classics?

I opened the book and in a matter of minutes it fell into pieces. It was really badly glued. I hope to exchange it and hopefuly this was the exception to the rule. I do not like the font either and I prefered the previous format better.

What are we to expect in the future?

ziki


"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
Posts: 379
Registered: ‎11-01-2006
0 Kudos

Re: question about the book as such

Laurel, how do you find all this stuff? That was great!
Frequent Contributor
PaulK
Posts: 222
Registered: ‎11-02-2006
0 Kudos

Re: question about the book as such



Laurel wrote:
Mine is fine, Ziki. Perhaps you need tech support, like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRBIVRwvUeE



ziki wrote:
Hi,
I wonder if this a new format to all BN classics?

I opened the book and in a matter of minutes it fell into pieces. It was really badly glued. I hope to exchange it and hopefuly this was the exception to the rule. I do not like the font either and I prefered the previous format better.

What are we to expect in the future?

ziki







Best post of the week!
Melissa_W
Posts: 4,124
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: question about the book as such

The format for the Dostoevsky for this discussion is only available in mass-market paperback which does what it's name suggests - it's for the masses and so is generally cheaper, comes with inexpensive paper and binding, and is therefore easily destroyed. You may have gotten a copy that was fairly thumbed through so the glue took a hit. BN hasn't yet released the Dostoevsky in trade paperback (nicer, better paper and glue, etc.). The majority of the previously released BN Classics series are available in trade paperback, including the new Shakespeare series, and all the newly released BN Classics are in trade paperback, occasionally there are hardcovers as well.

If you can't tell, I loathe MM paperbacks and have never yet owned a single one that didn't fall to pieces. So I just don't buy them anymore.



ziki wrote:
Hi,
I wonder if this a new format to all BN classics?

I opened the book and in a matter of minutes it fell into pieces. It was really badly glued. I hope to exchange it and hopefuly this was the exception to the rule. I do not like the font either and I prefered the previous format better.

What are we to expect in the future?

ziki


Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 3,107
Registered: ‎10-27-2006
0 Kudos

Re: question about the book as such



pedsphleb wrote:
The format for the Dostoevsky for this discussion is only available in mass-market paperback -snip- The majority of the previously released BN Classics series are available in trade paperback




Thanks a lot for your reply. I've exchanged that particular copy and the new one looks a little bit more solid. I know what you mean.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 3,107
Registered: ‎10-27-2006
0 Kudos

Laurel link

:smileysad: Laurel. I didn't quite get it..not sure I have the right gear like macromedia or if the link content already changed since you posted it; my browser misses part of the page and I can't scroll sideways on that site to adjust it, weird......I might try it from library and see if I am more successful with it.

ziki
Scribe
Laurel
Posts: 5,747
Registered: ‎10-29-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Laurel link



ziki wrote:
:smileysad: Laurel. I didn't quite get it..not sure I have the right gear like macromedia or if the link content already changed since you posted it; my browser misses part of the page and I can't scroll sideways on that site to adjust it, weird......I might try it from library and see if I am more successful with it.

ziki




That's too bad, ziki, because it really is hilarious. Do try it from the library. I just went there again, and it's as funny as ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRBIVRwvUeE
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Melissa_W
Posts: 4,124
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Laurel link

OMG, I laughed SO hard!!!! I hadn't tried the old link, but this one sure works. (Reminds me of the scene in Jasper Fforde's Lost in a Good Book where they're talking about upgrades and the problems caused by upgrading from SCROLL to CODEX)



Laurel wrote:


ziki wrote:
:smileysad: Laurel. I didn't quite get it..not sure I have the right gear like macromedia or if the link content already changed since you posted it; my browser misses part of the page and I can't scroll sideways on that site to adjust it, weird......I might try it from library and see if I am more successful with it.

ziki




That's too bad, ziki, because it really is hilarious. Do try it from the library. I just went there again, and it's as funny as ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRBIVRwvUeE


Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Users Online
Currently online: 55 members 341 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: