Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

"The Double": Chapters 11-13

[ Edited ]
How does the end of the story hit you?
Do we grow up or just repeat the problems of our past?
In this space, we’ll talk about the end of the book.

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 03-04-200710:56 AM

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Frequent Contributor
PaulK
0 Kudos

Re: "The Double": Chapters 11-13

IlanaSimons wrote:
How does the end of the story hit you?
Do we grow up or just repeat the problems of our past?
In this space, we’ll talk about the end of the book.

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 03-04-200710:56 AM

I was not surprised with the ending. It seemed a logical outcome that G would be taken away.
I also read the B&N Classic introduction and that was very helpful as I missed a lot of the symbolism. There has been some discussion whether the Double was real. I can only conclude that he wasn't even though others saw him and reacted. All that must be in G's head. We actually don't have exact doubles pop up later in life (except perhaps Laurel who seems to be communicating with hers). Also the double unbelievably anticipated all of G's moves.
I thought the introduction made an interesting point that Dostoevsky had the narrator go in and out of G's head and thus blurred the boundaries between G and the narrator. Overall this was a difficult read.
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

We finished! Now I'm going to get the other one to read the introduction while I sleep.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Contributor
Jimbo1580
0 Kudos

I have a couple questions about the end of the story that maybe someone can help me out with...
1.) Did he really get a letter from Olsufy Ivanonvich's daughter or was that written by himself to himself, or maybe his co-workers wrote it as a joke?
2.) If Jr. does not really exist, who came out to get him from the courtyard and take him into the party? Did he just go in by himself?

I finished the book, but I think I am going to go re-read parts of it.
Frequent Contributor
PaulK
0 Kudos

Jimbo1580 wrote:
I have a couple questions about the end of the story that maybe someone can help me out with...
1.) Did he really get a letter from Olsufy Ivanonvich's daughter or was that written by himself to himself, or maybe his co-workers wrote it as a joke?
2.) If Jr. does not really exist, who came out to get him from the courtyard and take him into the party? Did he just go in by himself?

My view would be that the letter did not exist and he went into the party on his own. However I would not trust anything I said about this book.
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Through the Looking-glass

It seems to me that this story could almost be folded in the middle with the second half reflecting the first (or is it the other way around?) I don't have time to check this all out, but at the beginning G goes to see the doctor, and at the end the doctor comes to get him. Twice G sees Jr. coming through what he had taken for a mirror. Can anyone add to this?

"You all know me, gentlemen, but hitherto you've only known me on one side." ch. 3.

"It seemed to Mr. Golyadkin that what was happening to him was somehow familiar." ch. 11.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: Through the Looking-glass

Very good comments. In my read-only post above, on reading the book, and in the introduction in the B&N edition, there are some comments on the many two's in this book. Your doctor observation is great. It seems like you've found something meaningful.
We see a bug with its nose pressed to the mirror.

Laurel wrote:
It seems to me that this story could almost be folded in the middle with the second half reflecting the first (or is it the other way around?) I don't have time to check this all out, but at the beginning G goes to see the doctor, and at the end the doctor comes to get him. Twice G sees Jr. coming through what he had taken for a mirror. Can anyone add to this?

"You all know me, gentlemen, but hitherto you've only known me on one side." ch. 3.

"It seemed to Mr. Golyadkin that what was happening to him was somehow familiar." ch. 11.

Ilana

Frequent Contributor
piihonua
0 Kudos

I agree with the book being folded in half, I was fascinated with Chapter Four, the portrait painted of our hero who is "almost at the dance". What a pathetic image we have of Golyadkin huddled behind a heap of litter and discarded furniture on the landing of the back stairs to Olsufy Ivanovitch's flat, contemplating entering the party not even thinking of the guests' reaction to this uninvited guest. His inner dialogue, if taken out of this context and placed into another, could even be one of a desperate individual about to make the suicidal leap.
Once again in Chapter Thirteen we return to the same scene outside of Olsufy Ivanovitch's flat. "He felt greatly tempted,... by that corner in the back entry of Olsufy Ivanovitch's flat in which he had once, almost at the beginning of this true story, stood for two hours...".
So everything in between could very well have been a nightmare of our hero's.
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Good post, Pi, and welcome to the conversation.

piihonua wrote:
I agree with the book being folded in half, I was fascinated with Chapter Four, the portrait painted of our hero who is "almost at the dance". What a pathetic image we have of Golyadkin huddled behind a heap of litter and discarded furniture on the landing of the back stairs to Olsufy Ivanovitch's flat, contemplating entering the party not even thinking of the guests' reaction to this uninvited guest. His inner dialogue, if taken out of this context and placed into another, could even be one of a desperate individual about to make the suicidal leap.
Once again in Chapter Thirteen we return to the same scene outside of Olsufy Ivanovitch's flat. "He felt greatly tempted,... by that corner in the back entry of Olsufy Ivanovitch's flat in which he had once, almost at the beginning of this true story, stood for two hours...".

Frequent Contributor
piihonua
0 Kudos

I found Chapter Thirteen to be the sequel to Chapter Four where our hero stands for nearly three hours outside of the back entry of Olsufy Ivanovitch's flat, he's described by Dostoyevsky as being "almost at the dance". What a pathetic portrait he paints for us of Golyadkin huddled behind a heap of litter and discarded furniture waiting for the right moment to enter the party.
In Chapter Thirteen he returns to the same scene "he felt greatly tempted, we may mention in passing, by that corner in the back entry of Olsufy Ivanovithc's flat in which he had once, almost at the beginnning of this true story, stood for hours..."
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

piihonua wrote:
I found Chapter Thirteen to be the sequel to Chapter Four where our hero stands for nearly three hours outside of the back entry of Olsufy Ivanovitch's flat, he's described by Dostoyevsky as being "almost at the dance". What a pathetic portrait he paints for us of Golyadkin huddled behind a heap of litter and discarded furniture waiting for the right moment to enter the party.
In Chapter Thirteen he returns to the same scene "he felt greatly tempted, we may mention in passing, by that corner in the back entry of Olsufy Ivanovithc's flat in which he had once, almost at the beginnning of this true story, stood for hours..."

We're not left with a lot of hope for our hero, are we? I wonder if he will keep on going in circles?
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

I do think the letter was imagined.
I also agree with piihonua's post that in between the two scenes in which Golyadkin is standing outside the party, all the interim might have been a dream. He's stuck on this woman, fixated on being in the "in" crowd, and is eventually carted away by the doctor.

Jimbo1580 wrote:

Ilana

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

great post. everything in between the two party scenes might have been a dream....
Dreams do play a crucial role in this book (chapter 10).

piihonua wrote:

Ilana

Contributor
Jimbo1580
0 Kudos

Very interesting. I never looked at it like that, but it is definitely a possibility. That is something that I needed to have brought to my attention earlier and maybe I would have some more insight. Thanks!
Frequent Contributor
PaulK
0 Kudos

IlanaSimons wrote:
great post. everything in between the two party scenes might have been a dream....

piihonua wrote:

When I came to the scene where G. was standing outside a party a second time I thought that somehow he and his double would be reunited into one since it was immediately after the first party that he first saw his double. However that is not what happened.
Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

IlanaSimons wrote:

piihonua wrote:

This is really a very good idea indeed !!Thanks Piihonua
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

I'm done!!! I have nothing useful to add - just celebrating!
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

congratulations. reading a book like this can make us feel healthy about our own lives, no?

KristyR wrote:
I'm done!!! I have nothing useful to add - just celebrating!

Ilana

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Walter Mitty

I've been thinking of Walter Mitty, lately, partly because my sister has a book coming out in April called "The Secret Life of Walter Kitty" (shameless plug):

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&bnrefer=BRITISHCLASSICS&EAN=97803758...

Perhaps if our little man had adopted the somewhat harmless device of James Thurber's character they wouldn't have taken him away quite so soon.
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

Re: Walter Mitty

Before I forget to ask, what was all the fuss concerning the German lady? I was hoping to find out eventually, but I must have missed it.
Users Online
Currently online: 45 members 770 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: