Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: Walter Mitty

[ Edited ]

KristyR wrote:
Before I forget to ask, what was all the fuss concerning the German lady? I was hoping to find out eventually, but I must have missed it.

In the 2nd chapter, Golyadkin tells his Dr that people are spreading rumors about him (he says "against someone" ): that instead of paying his German cook, Karolina Ivanovna, he offered to marry her instead, while already engaged to someone else.

So, in many places in the book, Golyadkin feels shamed and haunted by this rumor (which I'm guessing, based on what we know about his money life, has some basis in truth ). At the end of the book, Golyadkin junior confronts senior directly (tho as we've said, this is probably a paranoid hallucination): "Oh, yes, I forgot," junior says. "I beg your pardon. I know your taste. We are sweet on charming little Germans, sir; you and I are sweet on charming and agreeable little Germans, aren't we, you upright soul?"

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 03-22-200701:19 PM

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

Re: Walter Mitty

IlanaSimons wrote:

KristyR wrote:
Before I forget to ask, what was all the fuss concerning the German lady? I was hoping to find out eventually, but I must have missed it.

In the 2nd chapter, Golyadkin tells his Dr that people are spreading rumors about him (he says "against someone" ): that instead of paying his German cook, Karolina Ivanovna, he offered to marry her instead, while already engaged to someone else.

So, in many places in the book, Golyadkin feels shamed and haunted by this rumor (which I'm guessing, based on what we know about his money life, has some basis in truth ). At the end of the book, Golyadkin junior confronts senior directly (tho as we've said, this is probably a paranoid hallucination): "Oh, yes, I forgot," junior says. "I beg your pardon. I know your taste. We are sweet on charming little Germans, sir; you and I are sweet on charming and agreeable little Germans, aren't we, you upright soul?"

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 03-22-200701:19 PM

Okay, now I get it! It can be very confusing trying to figure out exactly who he's talking about at any given moment - we're so fortunate that "he wasn't one to intrigue"!
Users Online
Currently online:9 members 293 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: