Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Book for March: Different Seasons

Beginning March 5th we will be discussing Different Seasons, one of King's most popular books of short stories.

Join us with your thoughts, ideas and questions, as it is your contributions that make the book club discussions interesting. You are truly an excellent group!
Stephanie
New User
sandie
0 Kudos

Re: Book for March: Different Seasons

i am looking forward to this book..haven't read it since i bought the book.(1982) since then,it has been passed around to my friends,my sons friends,traveled from victorville ca. and back,so it will be nice to visit it again..
New User
Bookend
0 Kudos

I have devoured this book so many times. I read it because of the movie Stand By Me and ironically that's not even my favorite story. I love The Breathing Method. Just the idea of that much desire, power and strength. It's quite frightening. And you can't even touch Rita Hayworth... it's just such a great piece on every level.

I think the book on the whole book is so unlike King's M.O. that you can't help but admire his courage to put out something so different.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

You know, sometimes when I'm thinking about King's different works, I wonder if he really has an M.O. It's thinking about the differences between Dolores Claiborne, Hearts in Atlantis, The Shining, Lisey's Story, The Stand, etc., that blows me away. Whenever a new book comes out I think, what will it be now? And I think it's fair to say he's sewed up the short story scene - I don't know of any other popular novelist who has had such success with his short stories as King. I cannot imagine what it must like to live inside his head. He's brilliant - it's normal for him of course, he doesn't know what it's like to be the rest of us. I just can't fathom what it would be like to have that many stories and characters rattling around in my brain. Crowded, I suppose.
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

From what he has written about himself, I understand he had a problem with substance abuse for a while. He has since recovered from that but I can understand why it may be a problem for him. He may have used it to silence all those voices trying to get out into print. While I do admire him and his talent, I don't think I'd want to be him.

One of my favorite things that he does do is when he shares the origin of the story with us, the constant reader. It often amazes me to find out how a story came into being.

I have heard rumors that he is retiring. While he may slow down, I don't think he can fully give up writing any more than us mere mortals could give up breathing.
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 84 members 1,022 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: