Contributor
talemaker
0 Kudos

Re: Got a Favorite?

Have three favorites: The Tommyknockers, Needfull Things, and my "very" favorite, Rose Madder. The Long(est) Walk, best short story, with Thinner as the best Bachman read.
Contributor
talemaker
0 Kudos

favorite movie "The Dead Zone."
Contributor
talemaker
0 Kudos

I cannot believe that I almost forgot this story. For real Stephen King fans, I am sure there are not any others. But Stephen's Short Story, "The MAN IN THE BLACK SUIT" won the O'Henry Award for 1996.
Contributor
talemaker
0 Kudos

Favorite Quote

I am a collector of quotes. Give me a great quote and I will turn it into a poster. My classroom is full of them. Well anyway, what are some of you folks favorites quotes and, more importanly, why? He is mine for from The Stand. Show me a man or woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call "society." Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. This comes for chapter 42 in the uncut version of the stand. Although it is also in the orginal version, which is were I read it first. I feel this is a powful quote that says more about human nature then any of us really want to thing about or believe. At times there seems to be innate within humans to be cruel and mean to each other. That in order to make life worthwhile we need to feel superior to someone.
Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Quote

talemaker wrote:
I am a collector of quotes. Give me a great quote and I will turn it into a poster. My classroom is full of them. Well anyway, what are some of you folks favorites quotes and, more importanly, why? He is mine for from The Stand. Show me a man or woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call "society." Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. This comes for chapter 42 in the uncut version of the stand. Although it is also in the orginal version, which is were I read it first. I feel this is a powful quote that says more about human nature then any of us really want to thing about or believe. At times there seems to be innate within humans to be cruel and mean to each other. That in order to make life worthwhile we need to feel superior to someone.

Gotta love Glen and his lovable pessimism. It is a great quote though I'd have probably put M-O-O-N that spells.....in front of it first.

I think Tom Cullen may be my favorite character that SK has ever written. He and Eddie Dean and Oy and Trash Can Man all rank really high up there at least.

As far as favorite books he's written I'll go with 3 The Stand, IT, and Needful Things. They're all totally different types of writing but all good in their own rights and ways.
Frequent Contributor
thinker
0 Kudos

Stephen King's IT was just great. Apart from the scary stuff, that love, unity, commitment and determination, I think it was really touching, to meet after thirty years to get rid of such a pestering fiend. When Stan and Eddie died I actually cried.
Just like the story I guess in life we sometimes have to do away with certain things in our lives in order to move forward and reach goals.

I also liked the Langoliers, Pet Sematary and Cujo.

But IT is the best that I've read or seen in the movies!

thinker
Thinker
Reader
JodyRenee
0 Kudos

My favorite Stephen King novel is THE LONG WALK. Whenever I can't figure out what to read, I go back and re-read it. I find something new in it every time I read it.

In general, I love King's short stories. My favorite is "The Last Rung on the Ladder." It doesn't fail to knock me over every time.
Frequent Contributor
thinker
0 Kudos

Guess I should try some of his short stories
but have you checked out the new novel as yet
Thinker
New User
mKladder
0 Kudos

Probably "IT" and "The Shining"
New User
phoen
0 Kudos

JodyRenee wrote:
My favorite Stephen King novel is THE LONG WALK. Whenever I can't figure out what to read, I go back and re-read it. I find something new in it every time I read it.

At last, somebody who share the same feeling I felt about The Long Walk. I re read it for countless times too and how I wish they turn it into movie (although it sounds impossible). I can feel that I'm in the race myself and the fear was so intense! I really love it!

Misery and Dolores Claiborne are my favourites too as it shows a great narration by him where everything was told in the smallest details and it really brings us to the scene of where the stories took place, witnessing everything wth our own eyes.. Perfect!

There are so many favourites, really, it's difficult to pick one or two..

phoen
Reader 2
caffy71
0 Kudos

The Stand was the first book I had to have in hardcover; having just read the shorter paperback version, I craved more. A teen who scrimped and saved for weeks (yes, it is possible!), I prayed that my local drug store would not sell it's last copy. Twenty years later, I still have the book and it remains among my favorites, along with The Eyes of the Dragon and It.
Contributor
TwiggySC
0 Kudos

My favorite SK book is.......The Shining cause it was the first book I read and the one that got me hooked. I love The Stand (read it twice). Have yet to read Lisey's Story cause I just want to have time to savor it......if ya know what I mean.

Susan
The Dark River by John Twelve Hawks sequel to The Traveler.
Wordsmith
Sarah3973
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I don't know if anyone is even still checking this thread, but I'm still going to post.

It will always be on the short list as it was my very first Stephen King novel.  However, The Stand, in all it's uncut and unedited glory is the hands down winner in my book.  I could not put that book down when I read it for the first time.  I thought it was the most amazing, I think it's King's masterpiece.

I will also put The Talisman on the list, along with Rage which is, as I'm sure everyone in this group knows, was written under the Bachman pen name. Needful Things, Eyes of The Dragon and The Dead Zone are also on the list. I could go on and on, and will add one more..Misery!

Message Edited by Sarah3973 on 10-02-2008 08:03 PM
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online:36 members 363 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: