Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
LitEditor
0 Kudos

Got a Favorite?

The last time we counted, Stephen King was the author of over sixty works of fiction and nonfiction -- from compelling short stories to psychological dramas, to multi-volume fantasies, and of course his classic works of modern horror.

What's your favorite King? Do you prefer the author in fantasy or realist mode? At uncut, Stand-length, or as a writer of deft novellas such as the stories in Different Seasons?

See the latest news about book clubs in the Book Clubs Blog.
New User
KathyCW
0 Kudos

Re: Got a Favorite?

My favorite of Stephen Kings will always be "The Shining". I was in high school when this was first released. Totally creeped me out! Still enjoy re-reading it.
Kathy
New User
queentori
0 Kudos

My all time fav. is The Stand. It took me three days to read it when I was in HS. I read walking in the halls, eating and even when I should have been paying attention in class.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie

My own favorite Stephen King novel is Dolores Claiborne. There is an element of that novel that just works so well. The suspension of disbelief is amazing. I never once even remembered that the book was written by a man.

Stephanie
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
Bibliocrates
0 Kudos

My favorite Stephen King book is

The Talisman, so far, but I haven't yet read them all. I haven't read The Stand yet, and I have only recently started The Dark Tower series, so we'll see what I think after I read those. I also really liked Salems' Lot. I always love a good, freaky vampire tale. I have liked most of King's work that I have read.

By the way, what happened to BNU? I've been gone awhile due to my school schedule. I'm trying to figure out this new system. It's pretty confusing so far!
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: My favorite Stephen King book is

Bibliocrates wrote:
The Talisman, so far, but I haven't yet read them all. I haven't read The Stand yet, and I have only recently started The Dark Tower series, so we'll see what I think after I read those. I also really liked Salems' Lot. I always love a good, freaky vampire tale. I have liked most of King's work that I have read.

By the way, what happened to BNU? I've been gone awhile due to my school schedule. I'm trying to figure out this new system. It's pretty confusing so far!

This is the new book club format, just launched this week.

Welcome back! I'm sure after you get the hang of it, that confusion will abate.

Stephanie
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

The Stand

Hands down, my favorite SK book is The Stand. I absolutely could not put it down and just constantly read it. The story and it's complexities took the whole "good-versus-evil" to a whole new level. The characters were so real that I found myself rooting for the heroes and growling at the villians. It was such an intriguing story, and the final pages illustrated that evil never truly dies - it'll always exit.

Liz
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

My favorite is also "The Stand".

I loved that book, and read it twice. "Thinner" was probably my next favorite.
Frequent Contributor
Bibliocrates
0 Kudos

I haven't yet read The Stand

I have the book, but due to my schedule I haven't picked it up yet. I've heard so many great things about it! I'm afraid I won't put it down if I do pick it up, which would be bad because I should be studying instead of reading novels. I'm definitely reading it over break if it's as good as everyone says it is!
Frequent Contributor
leakybucket
0 Kudos

Re: The Stand

LizzieAnn wrote:
Hands down, my favorite SK book is The Stand. I absolutely could not put it down and just constantly read it. The story and it's complexities took the whole "good-versus-evil" to a whole new level. The characters were so real that I found myself rooting for the heroes and growling at the villians. It was such an intriguing story, and the final pages illustrated that evil never truly dies - it'll always exit.

Liz

I'm not a fan of horror type books but I really liked The Stand. I found it particularly desturbing when the the Bird Flu was in the news. Hey, this could really happen. I even got he movie and enjoyed that as well.

I also like the whole Dark Tower series. I read some of Stephen Kings other books while waiting for the series to finish up. I only read the ones that had relevance to the Dark Tower Series. I think that is why I picked up The Strand. I was very let down by the last book of the Dark Tower series. I really was expecting more then him to have so many major characters disposed of without much fanfare, write himself into the story (and even Harry Potter which had no relevance), and then just turn it into a neverending story. I think he had too many loose ends by the end of the book. Maybe he should have started to cut down on his character load earlier. But then maybe he never knew where he was going and at book Seven he had to end it.
New User
billemsick
0 Kudos

My favorite King novel would be Salem's Lot - but I think that is because it was my first and I loved it. I couldn't stop putting it down, and I remember sleeping in the living room (an aunt had my bedroom) when I was reading the part describing the vampire breathing on the boy's window. It was about 4 a.m. and I thought, I have school in a couple of hours, put the book down and then turned off the light. As I lay there waiting to fall asleep - I remember hearing some breathing and it bothered me so much, that I had to search the house - it was one of my brother's deep breathing in and upstairs bedroom.

So many others would be place in my top list of favorites - but Salem's Lot is definitely my favorite King novel.

bill
Frequent Contributor
Kathy
0 Kudos

The Stand is my favorite. I got the worst sinus infection I had ever had while reading this book, lol. Power of suggestion?
Frequent Contributor
Sensorymoments
0 Kudos

Re: I haven't yet read The Stand

The Stand is the whole reason I got interested in Stephen King in the first place.
Owy

*Taking everyday, one book at a time*
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Kathy,

It's so funny you should say you got sick after reading The Stand - the week that the mini-series was on television in May 1994 I had some flu-type virus the entire week. It was a little creepy!

Stephanie
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
jweinstein

Got a Favorite?

They say that your first - because of discovery - is often your favorite.

For me it was "Firestarter" excerpted in OMNI magazine. Anyone remember that periodical?

-Jerry the Mod(erator)
New User
jazzlady1031
0 Kudos

If I have to pick one favorite? The Stand. No question-magnificent and timeless. The premise is chillingly possible. It's Good versus Evil, at it's best.
Frequent Contributor
Kathy
0 Kudos

Hi Jerry!!!
Glad to see your familar typing here. I'm heading over to the bookstore tomorrow to get the new Stephen King. Then I can join in the discussion. This format is sort of ok. I think I'd still rather have it the old way though.
Kathy
New User
Robyn66
0 Kudos

jweinstein wrote:
They say that your first - because of discovery - is often your favorite.

For me it was "Firestarter" excerpted in OMNI magazine. Anyone remember that periodical?

-Jerry the Mod(erator)

I agree with Jerry that often the first one will be your favorite. I have been reading King for almost thirty years and my first "adult" book that I received was one of his and is still one of my many favorites "The Dead Zone". It is harder for me to choose one that I dislike over a favorite. Many more of the favorites than the dislikes.
And to answer the next question, I did not care as much for "The Cell" as all his others.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Kathy,

I have a feeling you're really going to enjoy King's new novel. It's extremely thought-provoking, and there's an element of humor that's very appealing... erg! I'm trying to be too careful not to spoil anything for anyone!

Stephanie
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
Rosebear
0 Kudos

My first SK read was The Shining, and I was hooked! Since then, I've owned, lost, borrowed, and read almost everything including Danse Macabre! Insomnia was one that really caught me up...and did Bag of Bones. Cujo transfixed me...I had a Pinto station wagon with exactly the same carburetor problem, and I had owned two St. Bernards...too real to believe! I really enjoyed Cell, and Lysie's Story is stashed as a Christmas gift, so please! No spoilers! *grin* I have almost all of the Dark Tower books, and plan to read them back to back sometime soon.
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 48 members 270 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: