Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: If you've finished Lisey's Story, talk about it here

Clay wrote: This is what makes Stephen King my absolute favorite storyteller. No other writer takes you along the journey better (even seven volumes of Dark Tower). Lisey's Story was one of his best "roller coaster rides" since The Shining. Probably my favorite part was actually reading Scott's letter at the end under the yum-yum tree.

Clay,

I completely agree- I enjoyed Scott's letter very much as well. I was glad to have the wrap-up of his past.
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
jmtamez
0 Kudos

Re: Finished -- Quirky Language

[ Edited ]
I have read and put this book down so many times....it just frustrated and saddened me greatly. After reading your comments I really need to go back to it. It's just so emotional that I Can only take it in small doses. I guess it's just too realistic. I see the father in my student's lives....I am doing the audio so I am listening to Mare WInningham do an outstanding job....

Message Edited by jmtamez on 01-28-200709:06 AM

Jeanne
Let's talk books! www.booktalks.org
New User
shedid
0 Kudos

It's interesting to see that others have picked up on the completeness of King's portrayal of Lisey. If you review his earlier works, you see that he struggled with female characterization - but came into his own with Misery,Dolores Claiborne and Rose Madder. Maybe it's as alien for a woman to construct a true male character as for a male to construct a female character. We are one species divided by an ocean of hormones and alternative brain functions. Sort of like the difference between american English-speaking characters and English English-speaking characters -- spanning the chasm is where writing gets really interesting.
Frequent Contributor
WildCityWoman
0 Kudos

Be with you on this one soon - halfway through.

Carly
Carly

http://wildcity.proboards14.com/index.cgi?board=Books
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 54 members 285 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: