Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
bear549
0 Kudos

Re: Introductions

Wow!
You learn something every day!
I knew being a fan of SK was going to pay off someway, somehow.
New User
ebarcelona
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm Lani and hail from the Philippines. I finally browsed through the site and discovered this book club.

I am a huge fan of Stephen King and love his work on "The Talisman." I have not read "The Black House" yet but have the book on standby. :smileyhappy:

Cheers,

Lani
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Lani,

Glad you're here! We're reading the short story collection Everything's Eventual this month - do you have a copy?
Stephanie
New User
ebarcelona
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Lani,

Glad you're here! We're reading the short story collection Everything's Eventual this month - do you have a copy?

Hi Stephanie,

Yes, I do have a copy of the book and looking forward to discussions. :smileyhappy:

Lani
Reader
shaver
0 Kudos

Hello, I have been reading Stephen King for about as many years as I have been out of school. Which would be for about as long as I have seen his books on the shelves. I can remember my departed father reading 'The Shining' and how he said it frightened him pretty smart. I read the bible a lot now.
I have picked up one just about everytime King had one published since the book 'IT'. I read it in 3 days. Couldn't put it down. And most of the books by him I find they are hard to put down for the time lines in them are close to horror classics original intent, The more compact in time; the shockier the scenes. I put it down, the books, for a while and went back to fantasy novels, sci-fi novels, and didn't pick up much reading for a long while. Now, I just study the internet. I choose the wild fantasies like Thomas Covenant and the Hobbit. Or, my tastes in entertainment have really changed for the last couple of decades.
I was saddened to hear he had a terrible fall. He was hit by a car, and looked to be paralyzed for some time. I haven't heard much about him since then. Other than just the books he writes. Which are coming faster than I could read in my spare time. Thanks Stephen King for the vast body of work you have created.
The time to be happy is now, today. Life is awfully short to be wasted away with fretting and fussing. And so, I look for the people whose faces say love and who live a lot all their lives through. Those are the people I want to be like and their happy makes me happy, too. -anon
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Shaver,

Glad you've joined the group- sounds as though you have read most of King's work. I look forward to your thoughts on the novels and stories.
Stephanie
Reader
shaver
0 Kudos

Thank you for the invite, I don't say I have read most of them. Although I can say I would recognize some of the writing had it been between a few other horror writers. For comparisons. I, forgot to say, wanted to say one of my most memorable lines in any book I read keeps coming out in my sometimes everyday words. "You worry me a lot." I think the father said that to his daughter when she wanted to run away from him at some point in the story. He was a well developed character of King's. But, I can't remember what book that was. Can you help me? I want to say the story "IT" but I saw the show on tv, it looked like the house was situated in a acred lot- not like I pictured it as being in a rather normal housing development type house. Maybe, more like ,where she could have run somewhere to ,more compact.
The time to be happy is now, today. Life is awfully short to be wasted away with fretting and fussing. And so, I look for the people whose faces say love and who live a lot all their lives through. Those are the people I want to be like and their happy makes me happy, too. -anon
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Shaver,

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the line, so I don't know what book it might have come from. Perhaps one of our members knows it? Group?
Stephanie
Contributor
ROY99
0 Kudos

Hello. I'm an avid fan of Stephen King--books and movies. I'm a teacher of students with special needs who is taking a break from working. I am enjoying the time I have now to catch up on my reading. I love many different kinds of books, but have been a big fan of King for years. The first memory I recall of learning about King was watching The Shining at the movie theater. My basketball coach sat behind my date & me with his head propped between us sharing his memories of going to high school with Jack Nicholson--I'm also a fan of his acting. I have many of King's books--read and unread. I would like to hook up with a group that is just beginning to read something of his--even if I've read it, it would be fun rereading and sharing thoughts and opinions with others. I've found I always get more out of a book or movie the second time around. Of course, if we read something I haven't read yet, even better. I'm the mother who got the strange looks when I was reading Nightmares and Dreamscapes on the front porch of the building on a grass airport strip while my son was taking glider lessons (12 years ago--he's now 26)--I was laughing out loud at one of his stories where his unique sense of humor came out. I also love it when King makes a cameo in his movies (i.e. the pizza delivery guy in Rose Red). Let me know what to pick up next to start reading. Happy Reading. ROY99
New User
Hollisterite666
0 Kudos

Hi! i'm devon.i'm from Hollister,CA. i LLLOOOOVVVVEEE Stephen Kings Works and i hope to learn a lot about his latest novels and collectoins.
Contributor
talemaker
0 Kudos

Name is Glynn, live in Big Bear Lake, CA. Will be a graduate study in September with a concentration in literature. Have been a SK fan for over twenty years. Although I do not read him as often as I once did, I do have all of his books and at the present I am rereading The Stand.
New User
newsie
0 Kudos

What a pleasure to find a community of folks unabashed about their enthusiasm for the work of Stephen King! I've never used one of these forums before, so if I accidently offend, please don't assume intent.

I've loved King's style since my late teens. The little conversational moments he captures. The images he draws in the mind. I can SEE the dust motes dancing in an abandoned shack where Jack Sawyer is laid up for the night with his buddy Wolf as they prepare to light out for the territories. No other author has ever resonated like that for me. Like a tuning fork at just the right frequency, it just feels right.

The Stand left me cold but the Dark Tower does call. And the Talisman's Jack Sawyer echoes the essential goodness I see in my own daughter's fine clear brow.

What a joy it must be (maybe a burden too?) to have such stories pouring from your mind in such volume.

Sheesh
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

Howdy fellow King fans! SK has been my favorite author since Carrie came out in paperback. A shipmate of mine introduced him to me while was in the Navy. Believe it or not, many sailors are avid readers. It's a great way to pass the time while at sea.

My all time favorite is The Stand. I've read it and watched the mini-series more than any of his other work. I put off reading the Dark Tower until it was done. I wanted to be sure it got done before I started it. Loved it and by the time I was done, I just about felt like I was right there on the journey with everyone.

I like to mess with the less informed people sometime. I ask them if they like Stephen King. The ones that say no, his stuff is too scary or gory are the ones I'm looking for. Many of them don't know he wrote the Shawshank Redemption or Stand By Me but they loved those movies.

I just wish someone would take The Eyes of the Dragon and make a movie about it. With all of the fantasy movies coming out these days, there is a market for it now.
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
Contributor
talemaker
0 Kudos

Vampyre wrote:
Howdy fellow King fans! SK has been my favorite author since Carrie came out in paperback. A shipmate of mine introduced him to me while was in the Navy. Believe it or not, many sailors are avid readers. It's a great way to pass the time while at sea.

My all time favorite is The Stand. I've read it and watched the mini-series more than any of his other work. I put off reading the Dark Tower until it was done. I wanted to be sure it got done before I started it. Loved it and by the time I was done, I just about felt like I was right there on the journey with everyone.

I like to mess with the less informed people sometime. I ask them if they like Stephen King. The ones that say no, his stuff is too scary or gory are the ones I'm looking for. Many of them don't know he wrote the Shawshank Redemption or Stand By Me but they loved those movies.

I just wish someone would take The Eyes of the Dragon and make a movie about it. With all of the fantasy movies coming out these days, there is a market for it now.

Many of SK's movie are above average. Cujo, in my opinion, was the worse. The book was told from the dog's point of view at times, and that was terribly difficult to translate to the big screen. The only problem I had with the Stand was the casting. I felt a few of the charaters like the old black lady and Tom Collins might have been better played by others. Plus not sure why Harold was such a skinny kid in the movie. Maybe the filmakers wanted to stay away for sterotypes. The new Shining, in my opinion, was much better than the Jack Nicklson one. It just felt more true to the story. Thinner and Apt Pupil were also a little weak. The Dead Zone was wonderful and I hope that someone finds every cope of IT and burns them. Pet Cementary was cool along with Salem's Lot. Maybe not so much the movie, but Tommyknockers is one of my favorites along with Rose Madder. And of course Misery goes without saying as one of the best, story and acting wise. Could talk about this forever.
Contributor
Szat
0 Kudos

Hi,
I've been reading Stephen King since I was 12 and have read almost six of his books. What got me interested in King was that my dad read all of his books and seeing the movies made from his books, especially "IT". The movie, "IT", really turned me on to his works; but I haven't been able to read it yet. I am currently reading "The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition". To date "Pet Semetary" was my favorite book.

~Pet Semetary
~Dream Catcher
~The Dead Zone
~'Salem's Lot
~The Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger
~The Stand
New User
phoen
0 Kudos

hello from Malaysia.

Greetings from Malaysia! Guess I'm among a few Asians (if there's any here) in this club. wow, never knew about the existence of this message board for the one n only Stephen King!! I'm a big fan of his and had been reading his stuff since I was 12 and never stop reading n rereading his books, he's the master and I really admire his creativity and imagination. Unfortunately none of my friend read his stuff and it's kinda sad because I don't know who to talk and discuss to about his works. Luckily i found this club and am looking forward to get to know each other better and having fun here!!

regards,
phoen
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

Re: hello from Malaysia.

Welcome to the BC Phoen. There is an official SK forum out there. I've checked it out. This one seems to be a little more relaxed but kind of slow.
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
Contributor
TwiggySC
0 Kudos

Hello

Hi I'm Susan from Upstate South Carolina. I've been reading King since I was 13 so that's 20 years! I started with The Shining which got me hooked and have read all of his except Lisey's Story and Blaze. Just waiting for the right time to jump in and read. Kind of like knowing I'll have something else of his to read later on. I've tried to do a read them again, but I just get caught up in reading everything else I like to read. No one compares to him though, he's great.
The Dark River by John Twelve Hawks sequel to The Traveler.
New User
tommy1303673
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi, my name is thomas, I live in Sydney, Australia, Ive been reading the stephen king books only since 1990, but since then ive built up quite a collection of his books, both softcover and hardcover, i think im a bit obsessed, Im currently reading The Mist, anyways it nice to finally find a stephen king book club.

Message Edited by tommy1303673 on 12-21-2007 05:29 AM
New User
Vikki01
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! I am so glad I've found this book club. I've been an SK fan since I was eleven and found my mother's copy of 'Carrie'. I'm glad to be here and I can't wait to get to know all of you.
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 13 members 646 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: