Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Lisey's Story: Part 1, Sections I & II

Let's discuss the beginning here- I broke this down a bit further than we normally would, to give people who are just beginning to read a chance to jump into the discussion. We'll see how quickly we want to move through, and we can pick up the pace later on if need be.

Stephanie
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Re: Lisey's Story: Part 1, Sections I & II

I don't know where to begin. The characters and the story are compelling and at times puzzling. Is Lisey imagining Scott? I don't think so; somehow, he's able to get into her head, and I don't think it has anything to do with her knowing him so well or missing him so much.

Scott himself comes across as sweet, tortured, anxious, damaged, carefree, strong, and vulernable. The indications of his childhood are horrifying. It's amazing that he was able form a relationship with anyone. His writing may be the way he lets loose of some of these emotions. His being part of the darkness...the long boy...everything. You have a sense that he was just avoiding the long boy.

Lisey is also an amazing character; she would have to be to have survived a marriage with Scott. She's a puzzling mix of innocence, awareness, hardness, weakness, strength, and a lot of character. She learned to live in with Scott's light & darkness and protect him.

It does make me wonder why Scott's papers are wanted so badly, particularly by Professor Woodbody. What exactly is in those papers? Is it really unfinished novels, or is there something else hidden there? And the scary Zach McCool character. After having that conversation with him, why doesn't Lisley call the police? He threatened her and connected himself with the Professor, why not let the authorities handle it? She's a woman alone in a big house (which I hope is alarmed). She's in a vulnerable position. Why didn't this guy just break into the barn while she was gone? There's something sinister.

The conversations Lisey has with Scott and within her own mind are revealing. Scott speaking through Amanda was a little bit creepy. Poor Amanda is a mess, and Darla seems like an ordinary woman. There's a dark cloud up ahead, and I do hope that they all come out the other side OK.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

LizzieAnn wrote:
I don't know where to begin. The characters and the story are compelling and at times puzzling. Is Lisey imagining Scott? I don't think so; somehow, he's able to get into her head, and I don't think it has anything to do with her knowing him so well or missing him so much.

Scott himself comes across as sweet, tortured, anxious, damaged, carefree, strong, and vulernable. The indications of his childhood are horrifying. It's amazing that he was able form a relationship with anyone. His writing may be the way he lets loose of some of these emotions. His being part of the darkness...the long boy...everything. You have a sense that he was just avoiding the long boy.

Lisey is also an amazing character; she would have to be to have survived a marriage with Scott. She's a puzzling mix of innocence, awareness, hardness, weakness, strength, and a lot of character. She learned to live in with Scott's light & darkness and protect him.

It does make me wonder why Scott's papers are wanted so badly, particularly by Professor Woodbody. What exactly is in those papers? Is it really unfinished novels, or is there something else hidden there? And the scary Zach McCool character. After having that conversation with him, why doesn't Lisley call the police? He threatened her and connected himself with the Professor, why not let the authorities handle it? She's a woman alone in a big house (which I hope is alarmed). She's in a vulnerable position. Why didn't this guy just break into the barn while she was gone? There's something sinister.

The conversations Lisey has with Scott and within her own mind are revealing. Scott speaking through Amanda was a little bit creepy. Poor Amanda is a mess, and Darla seems like an ordinary woman. There's a dark cloud up ahead, and I do hope that they all come out the other side OK.

Liz,

I do think that some of Lisey's "conversation" with Scott is in her head - but you're quite right, he really does seem to be there as well.

As to the importance of the papers- time will tell, I suppose. Zach McCool - I had to laugh when I read the name, I once had a student with the same name, whom I liked quite well. He and this character had nothing in common.

Was Scott speaking through Amanda? At this point in the story, it's hard to tell just exactly what was going on there, but it was definitely creepy! I would have been very spooked, but Lisey seemed to take it in stride for the most part.

Stephanie
Stephanie
Contributor
threat2
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,
I read Part 1, Sections 1&2 over the weekend and was very happy to discover that Section 2 pulled me in, (as Stephen King has in the past) and I am hooked! The only problem is I can't help but imagine Scott in my head as Stephen King himself. (Perhaps that is inevitible???)
Theresa
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Theresa,

I know what you mean about imagining Stephen King as Scott- I had moments of that myself. Keep reading, it goes away. :-)

Stephanie
Stephanie
Contributor
threat2
0 Kudos

I'm still reading! It's going to be a while before I finish though...is there anyone else still reading Lisey's Story?
Theresa
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

LizzieAnn wrote:
Is Lisey imagining Scott? I don't think so; somehow, he's able to get into her head, and I don't think it has anything to do with her knowing him so well or missing him so much.

Liz,

I do think that some of Lisey's "conversation" with Scott is in her head - but you're quite right, he really does seem to be there as well.

Was Scott speaking through Amanda? At this point in the story, it's hard to tell just exactly what was going on there, but it was definitely creepy! I would have been very spooked, but Lisey seemed to take it in stride for the most part.

Stephanie

I wasn't confused or troubled by whether Scott was talking to Lisey or whether she was imagining it. I have not lost someone close to me, like a husband, but I have heard and read about people feeling that dead loved ones were with them and talked to them. I chalked it up to that type of interaction.

I would not only have been spooked when Scott seemed to speak through Amanda. I would have freaked out! Clearly, Lisey is used to dealing with the mysteries of mental illness and is able to manage the situation much better than I would.

As to why Lisey didn't call the police, I am a bit puzzled. Again, she is used to dealing with crazy fans of Scott's work, but still...being out in a rural area alone...creepy!
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Scott as King

threat2 wrote:
The only problem is I can't help but imagine Scott in my head as Stephen King himself. (Perhaps that is inevitible???)

I couldn't help but keep thinking the same thing too! I think it is inevitable. However, I kept dismissing that thought.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Frequent Contributor
WildCityWoman
0 Kudos

I'm doing this book on audio (while gardening).

Lisey's a good character - her cynicism is something else, but it strikes me that most of her thoughts come from Scott. Seems like he directed her thoughts through the whole marriage.

She's very strong in her looking after people, but the strength seems to come from Scott.

Is Scott really Stephen King? Nawwwww! If SK was that crazy, he wouldn't have written this novel.

Carly

http://wildcity.proboards14.com/index.cgi?board=Books
Frequent Contributor
WildCityWoman
0 Kudos

If anybody wants to get in on another discussion regarding this book, there's one going at ReadingGuidesGroups . . .

Carly

http://wildcity.proboards14.com/index.cgi?board=Books
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 47 members 533 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: