Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
alfprof212
0 Kudos

Re: Stephen King Movies

I am a high school English teacher and have conducted a neat little experiment in my 5 years of teaching. With any novel we read (Animal Farm, The Outsiders, etc.), the students always ask me "can't we just watch the movie?" I always tell them, "sure, after we read the book." Everytime I have done this, the majority of my students end up complaining about the movie because they left out so-and-so, or they changed such-and-such. I always use this as an illustration to them that they should always read a book before they see the movie...because the book is usually always better. (I too agree with the opinion that Peter Jackson's movies are better than Tolkien's books, as one of the exceptions to the rule.)
As an English teacher, I am increasingly disappointed with the reading ability of my students each year. I do believe, though, that great author's like King can help to bring more young people back to reading really good fiction. I keep some of his novels in my classroom library for independent reading, and every year I have at least one student who reads and thoroughly enjoys his work. He's a great writer with universal, multi-generational appeal.
New User
Dr_IJC
0 Kudos

I truly think it is amazing. A Stephen King book is made into a movie because the book was so good and yet they make many changes when it becomes a movie. Wouldn't it make more sense to adhere closely to a bestseller? Consider the movie Cujo. This film was about a dog that was bitten by a rabid bat. The book had a much more sinister plot and involved posession. I have enjoyed some of the films such as Christine and Misery but I would love to see the majority of them re-done with the books leading the way for the scripts.

Dr. IJC
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

Deeger: I agree with everything you have said about The Shining movie. While I've never seen the miniseries, the movie was HORRIBLE. I was in pain while watching it... I just wanted it to be over!

As for the screenwriting comment- I can't entirely agree on things being better with King writing the screenplay. I suppose when writing a screenplay based off his own books it might be alright, but King should never- I repeat NEVER- be allowed to write an original screenplay ever again.
Those who have seen Sleepwalkers will agree.
*gag*

I think that as far as King movies go, the shorter the book the better; the longer the movie the better.
Miniseries do better than full-length movies, and his short stories do better than his books. I thought the 'Salem's Lot miniseries that was out a few years ago was fairly well done, if not only very entertaining. Shawshank Redemption, as others have mentioned, is an amazing movie.

A lot of it has to do with the fact that the movie is better when you can fit more in it. Which is why short stories in full-length movie format are usually pretty decent, as are the miniseries.

I would love to see The Dark Tower in miniseries format- but in miniseries format ONLY. Unless they made a series of movies... then, that would be even better, although it would have to be 14 movies long if they wanted to fit everything in it! I know so many people would be angry to see the DT series on the big (or small) screen... but as much as some movies do the books no justice, it is exciting for me personally to see my favorite books "come to life".

Sent a letter in the mail in braille to Johnny Quest
Send me back my Etch-a-Sketch!
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

I guess one of my favorite King book to movies was Misery. I still get shivers when ever I think of her with that sledge hammer. While it was an axe in the book, I think the image of a sledge hammer is even worse. You just know that's gotta hurt.

I pretty much agree with everyone else's point a view about the other adaptations.

I would like to see "The Eye's of the Dragon" made into a movie.
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
New User
phoen
0 Kudos

I'm a fan of John Grisham but none of the movie was as good as his book:smileysad: None at all!

It's the other way around with SK as I equally enjoy most of his movies. Especially Shawshank The Green Mile, The Body (Stand By Me) and IT. A little upset with Dreamcatcher and Dolores Claiborne though as the the books (especially the latter) were brilliant! And I also love Rose Red n Storm of the Century.

phoen
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

I really liked The Green Mile and Shawshank Redmption. They adapted well into movie form.
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
Contributor
TwiggySC
0 Kudos

Stephen King Movies

All time favorite short story movie Stand By Me, favorite mini-series The Stand and It. Loved Shawshank Redeption and The Green Mile.

Laughed my butt off in Dreamcather, I must say the bathroom scene in the book and movie killed me!!!!
The Dark River by John Twelve Hawks sequel to The Traveler.
Contributor
Luminalfire5
0 Kudos

I can't decide just one. I'd have to say my 2 favorites are the original Shining, and Stand by Me. 1408 was a wonderfully done, and I'm looking forward to the Mist.
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 5 members 538 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: