Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
LitEditor
0 Kudos

Stephen King's Latest Novel

[ Edited ]
Book Cover Image: Title: Lisey's Story, Author: Stephen King Buy It Lisey's Story
Lisey Debusher Landon lost her husband Scott two years ago, after a twenty five year marriage of the most profound and sometimes frightening intimacy. Lisey knew there was a place Scott went -- a place that both terrified and healed him, could eat him alive or give him the ideas he needed in order to live. Now it's Lisey's turn to face Scott's demons, Lisey's turn to go to Boo'ya Moon. What begins as a widow's effort to sort through the papers of her celebrated husband becomes a nearly fatal journey into the darkness he inhabited.

In The New York Times, Janet Maslin remarked "The scope sounds modest, yet this book is haunting even by Mr. King’s standards. And he knows a thing or two about haunting." Perhaps the author's most personal and powerful novel ever, Lisey's Story is about the wellspings of creativity, the temptations of madness, and the secret language of love.

Message Edited by LitEditor on 10-24-2006 08:08 PM

See the latest news about book clubs in the Book Clubs Blog.
Frequent Contributor
Bibliocrates
0 Kudos

Re: Stephen King's Latest Novel

I just got this book and I can't wait to read and discuss it.
Dar
New User
Dar
0 Kudos

I just started Lisey's Story. Like a lot of King's novels; it's a little slow gaining momentum but it's showing promise. I'm a widow about Lisey's age so I find it easy to identify with many of her thought processes and feelings.

I'm looking forward to discussing the book with others here! My grandson is the only one I know,personally, that is a King fan but I'm not sure this book will be one he'll want to read.
Frequent Contributor
TeresaF
0 Kudos

I started the audio version of Lisey’s Story (read by Mare Winningham). I’m taking it in short bursts though – the tone is pulling me down, down, down.
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

I just picked up Lisey's Story and have to comment on what a beautiful book it is (and nice and thick). The cutout on the book jacket revealing some of the hardcover underneath; and the hardcover itself: absolutely beautiful. I can't believe that between those covers is a story that's going is going to intrige me, haunt me, and compell me to keep reading.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Dar wrote:
I just started Lisey's Story. Like a lot of King's novels; it's a little slow gaining momentum but it's showing promise. I'm a widow about Lisey's age so I find it easy to identify with many of her thought processes and feelings.

I'm looking forward to discussing the book with others here! My grandson is the only one I know, personally, that is a King fan but I'm not sure this book will be one he'll want to read.

Dar,

I think you're really going to enjoy Lisey's Story. I know what you mean about the slow start, but once in (and accustomed to the quirky language), I think you'll find it much more fast-paced.

Knowing what you know about Lisey (for those of you that haven't picked this one up yet, you find out early on that her name is pronounced Lee-Cee) so far, are you finding her a sympathetic character?

Stephanie
Stephanie
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

TeresaF wrote:
I started the audio version of Lisey’s Story (read by Mare Winningham). I’m taking it in short bursts though – the tone is pulling me down, down, down.

Teresa,

Do tell! I'm very curious, I didn't get this sense at all while I was reading. What about the tone is bringing you down?

Stephanie
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
TeresaF
0 Kudos

Lisey's Tone

Stephanie wrote:

TeresaF wrote:

Teresa,

Do tell! I'm very curious, I didn't get this sense at all while I was reading. What about the tone is bringing you down?

Stephanie

Oh my, you mean everyone isn’t suffering so. Empathy can be such an ugly thing, Stephanie. Especially when encourage by a skillful writer. To me, Lisey sounds so depressed, lonely, angry, bitter, cynical, depleted . . . but, hey, that was yesterday. Now, she’s squabbling with her sisters and slamming down phones. Nothing better than that to bring her back to her cheery present life.
New User
EmilyOphelia
0 Kudos

I just finished it yesterday -- it's fabulous! Someone please finish it ASAP so that we can chat about it! :^)
Frequent Contributor
TeresaF
0 Kudos

I’m working on it, EmilyOphelia, but my pace has slowed. I’m switching from listening to the audio version to reading the book for awhile, just in case I’m being influenced by Mare’s performance.
Frequent Contributor
TeresaF
0 Kudos

SK's Latest -- Brand Names

I have mixed feelings about using brand names in books. Sometimes is works, sometimes not. I can’t remember where, but someplace just in the last few days (memory, what memory?), I read a comment that Stephen King uses brand names to anchor the reader in reality. So far, it works for me. The Hamburger Helper, Kool-Aid, and Cool Whip ring true as modern comfort food (p.63). (I’m old-fashioned -- preferring to whip up a batch of mashed potatoes. No boxes needed.) The Salem Light vs. Herbert Tareyton just highlights another subtle difference between the two parts of this couple.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Lisey's Tone

I have been debating about whether to read this or not. The New York Times gave it a very intriguing review but I really hate to get sucked into books so depressing that they leave me feeling like I'm walking around in a fog. The Bell Jar was like that.

I am always a bit hesitant about audiobooks, too. I like characters to come to life in my imagination and even seeing a book I like portrayed in a movie is always nerve wracking for me. I like Mare Winningham, though, so maybe this would be okay.

I used to like the humorous books by Bill Bryson, until I bought one on audiotape, with him reading his own book. Where I found the books very funny, I found his voice so condescending and irritating that I've never been able to read anything of his since then. Obviously, didn't finish listening to that audiotape, either.

I'm trying to remember who read the Stephen King stories I had on audiotape. Might have been Paul Sorvino.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

TeresaF wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

TeresaF wrote:

Teresa,

Stephanie

Oh my, you mean everyone isn’t suffering so. Empathy can be such an ugly thing, Stephanie. Especially when encourage by a skillful writer. To me, Lisey sounds so depressed, lonely, angry, bitter, cynical, depleted . . . but, hey, that was yesterday. Now, she’s squabbling with her sisters and slamming down phones. Nothing better than that to bring her back to her cheery present life.

Teresa,

Gads, I hope I didn't seem unsympathetic! I suppose at the onset I was busily trying to grasp Lisey's personality, and I wasn't applying the loss. I do love the "sister thing" that King did with her - as one of six sisters, I know it all too well. :-)

Stephanie
Stephanie
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Becke

I don't think you'll find this book depressing at all- it's actually a fast-paced thriller, once you get into it. I wasn't depressed in the least. I am not an audio-book person, though, there is something about eyeballs on the page that does so much more for me.

Stephanie
Stephanie
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Emily,

I've finished it, but let's go ahead and start at the beginning. I'll post a message for a beginning discussion, and we'll take it in small chunks, so no one gets left too far behind.

Stephanie
Stephanie
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: SK's Latest -- Brand Names

Teresa,

Boy, I could taste that Hamburger Helper! I think there's something very hearty/comforting/satisfying about that meal - it was a great choice on King's part, I definitely identified, especially when that craving was over.

Stephanie
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

LOL - Well, I've finished Part 1, and it's kept me spellbound. I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't this. I'll try to finish as fast as I can - but maybe we can start discussing Part 1 at least!

EmilyOphelia wrote:
I just finished it yesterday -- it's fabulous! Someone please finish it ASAP so that we can chat about it! :^)

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

I agree with you Stephanie. I think I expected some more along the lines of traditional horror; but, it is more of a thriller with lots of overtones added in. It's not depressing at all. I shivered in my chair at the end of part 1 when Lisey is in bed with her sister and has that strange conversation as morning approaches. Different kind of monsters and horrors seem to be present in this book.

Stephanie wrote:
Becke

I don't think you'll find this book depressing at all- it's actually a fast-paced thriller, once you get into it. I wasn't depressed in the least. I am not an audio-book person, though, there is something about eyeballs on the page that does so much more for me.

Stephanie

Liz ♥ ♥

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I think I'll give it a shot. I agree, unless I'm on a long road trip, I'd rather have the written word.
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Finished Lisey's Story

I just finished Lisey's Story, although I won't comment on Parts 2 and 3 until there are the proper threads. But I have to just have to say that I couldn't stop reading it - so totally unexpected and absolutely compelling!
Liz ♥ ♥

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 51 members 261 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: