Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Lauri
0 Kudos

Re: Stephen King's Latest Novel

It's funny that you mentioned that about the intimate language. You know, I did realize that because as I'm reading it, I'm thinking about what my husband and I call things. We have "special" words that we started using as we hit certain points in our relationship. With the kids, we called their feet (when we were playing with them) "tooters" and still, now that the kids are 15 and 10, we still use that term! You are right, though, that special language is a part of their relationship. Even thinking of my own "words" with my spouse, I naturally compared what my husband and I do with what Scott and Lisey do. Stephen King does an amazing job with this book!
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Lauri,

I felt the same way. I truly enjoyed Lisey's Story and even though the cutsie terms were a little much for me at first, he tapers them off later in the book, and by that time, one is used to them, and they belong. So I understood the overkill in the beginning. I also completely forgot (while reading and involved) that the book was written by a man. And don't worry about reading this one at night, at least until you get to the very end. I don't like to frightened, but this one didn't work on me like some of his other novels have. King is actually the only horror author I'll read.
Stephanie
New User
cvda
0 Kudos

I am @ the 1/2 way point of the last section of the book (Lisey's Story) - I LOVE SK - but I have to say I was a little disappointed by this novel - most of his books I cannot put down but w/this one I had to force myself to read initially - granted it did get better at half way point but I found it a little bit repetitive - what do you think?
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

I understand what you mean - I think we sometimes begin to read books with preconceived notions when it's an author we know well and expect certain things from-- which would be especially true with King, as he's such a prolific writer. In this case, King definitely used devices I've never seen him use before, but I wasn't disappointed.
Stephanie
Contributor
Kelly-Ann
0 Kudos

Hi there-

This is my first day joining the BN book club discussion, so excuse any weirdness. I'm new to the pack. Anyway, I finished Lisey's Story last night and thought it was beautiful. (Like others who have posted, I wasn't sure about it at first, so it sat on my shelf for awhile, but I am SOOO happy that I finally read it. I cried (the good kind) for a long while because the relationship between Scott and Lisey was so amazing. (It's not rare for me to cry at the end of a book I love- Richard Russo does it to me all the time.) Anyway, I am lucky to have a marriage that reminds me a lot of theirs, so it really hit home and made me imagine what it might be as the years progress- we've been married only two years, but together for thirteen. I do agree with those of you who were brought down by the book, at times I was too, but hang in there- it will make you laugh, hopefully cry and should lift you up by the end, I think. Anyway, it just really moved me, and it comes in second in my list of King favorites. First will always be for Bag of Bones, which I thought was brilliant (and very similar in style, tone and, in some ways, plot to Lisey's Story.) The audio read by Mr. King himself is unbelievabally touching, because he really breathes such life into the main character, Mike- a writer who has lost his wife. Sorry, went off on a tangent a bit there. The main point here is that I would love to chat about the book with a fellow fan, so what should we talk about? I'll check out some replies to see what you guys have started already. Oh. Question. Anyone have their own Boo'ya Moon, I do...
Tongue tied and twisted, an earthbound misfit, I.
Contributor
Kelly-Ann
0 Kudos

Oh, my friend Eric, how wrong you are...I think he did an amazing job of capturing the inner female. Maybe not everyone, but definitely me....:smileyhappy:
Tongue tied and twisted, an earthbound misfit, I.
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

As I've stated in another post, I'm having trouble getting started in this one. I think part of my problem is I don't like his stories from the female point of view as much as I do his other books.(duck and cover!)

Once I get caught up on my other reading, I'll go back and restart this one. Deep in my heart, I know it's good. I just have to get past the opening.
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 62 members 575 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: