Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Finished Lisey's Story

LizzieAnn wrote:
I just finished Lisey's Story, although I won't comment on Parts 2 and 3 until there are the proper threads. But I have to just have to say that I couldn't stop reading it - so totally unexpected and absolutely compelling!

Liz, did you really read the book in three days?!?! My copy just arrived today, but I have a few other books to finish first. Oh boy, now I am really looking forward to reading this book!
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

Liz, did you really read the book in three days?!?! My copy just arrived today, but I have a few other books to finish first. Oh boy, now I am really looking forward to reading this book!

Yes Laura, I did! Didn't get much sleep, LOL. But I kept saying to myself, just one more chapter....and you know what happens. I just wanted to see what would happen. The story is totally unexpected, at least for me. This is only the 2nd King novel that I've actually read; the other being The Stand, which I've read more than once. But I've seen some of his movies and this story just seemed interesting. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did; and I can't wait to discuss it with you when you finish it!
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

LizzieAnn wrote:
I just finished Lisey's Story, although I won't comment on Parts 2 and 3 until there are the proper threads. But I have to just have to say that I couldn't stop reading it - so totally unexpected and absolutely compelling!

Liz,

We can comment- I'll just create a section for those who have finished the book.

Stephanie
Stephanie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Stephen King's Latest Novel

There is a review of Lisey's Story in the book section of the New York Times of Nov. 12. I think you can access it online.
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
There is a review of Lisey's Story in the book section of the New York Times of Nov. 12. I think you can access it online.

It was interesting to read. Thanks for letting us know.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Contributor
threat2
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,
I have begun Lisey's Story although it is taking a while to really get into it. I read the other posts, so I am not going to quit now! I haven't actually read anything by Stephen King since ON WRITING, so I am intrigued and excited to get "into" a King novel once again!
When I am done, I can't wait to discuss it with you all.
Theresa
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: The Cover

LizzieAnn wrote:
I just picked up Lisey's Story and have to comment on what a beautiful book it is (and nice and thick). The cutout on the book jacket revealing some of the hardcover underneath; and the hardcover itself: absolutely beautiful. I can't believe that between those covers is a story that's going is going to intrige me, haunt me, and compell me to keep reading.

I just started the book and can't wait to find out how the beautiful design on the hard cover of the book ties in with the story. I have never seen anything like this book jacket and cover before.
Laura

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Quirky Language

Stephanie wrote:

I know what you mean about the slow start, but once in (and accustomed to the quirky language), I think you'll find it much more fast-paced.

Quirky language is right! And the odd expressions Lisey and her husband use... I feel a bit perplexed sometimes by the language, but am not letting that stop me. King seems to be slowly revealing an important event in Nashville, and I just keep trying to figure out what happened (I think I am on page 35). This is such a different writing style, but I find I like books that do interesting things with structure, font, etc. Did anyone read Wickett's Remedy by Myla Goldberg? She did a lot of interesting things with structure in that book.
Laura

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Quirky Language

Laura,

Believe me, by the end, you'll be so immersed there will be some expressions that stay with you for a little bit... it's definitely bizarre.

Stephanie
Stephanie
New User
janericciardi
0 Kudos

I took the day off and read the whole book cover to cover before I want to bed that night! I felt sooooo decadent!
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

janericciardi wrote:
I took the day off and read the whole book cover to cover before I want to bed that night! I felt sooooo decadent!

Jane,

Good for you! That sounds like a wonderful day. I could use one of those myself.
Stephanie
New User
lyndahelen
0 Kudos

EmilyOphelia,
I just finished Lisey's Story this saturday night. I like this book very much and I had the feeling throughout the book that parts of this story had a feeling of Stephen and Tabitha's life together, but of course with a King twist to it. This book kept me up many nights late reading, couldn't wait to see what was going to happen next.
LyndaHelen
New User
ereaston
0 Kudos

I am in the last fourth of the book and I am definately tending to agree with a lot of people that it is definately slow. I feel like the language is grossly overused to the point of being annoying. The story itself is great and I feel as if the book could have been much better if he would have removed the excessive use of odd language and drove the point home a little quicker in some of the sections.

I also feel like he didn't really hit the thought process of the female very well. The way she looks back,especially when recalling sexual experiences seems really Alpha Male to me. I am not a woman, but I think that a woman's thought process would look back at different intimate experiences with a little less vulgarity.

Eric
New User
monkey_22890
0 Kudos

I didn'r hear anything about this book before I saw. I was simply walking through the grocery store on the book isle and happened to see it. It looks good. When anyone reads like the first couple chapters, can you tell me if they are any good?

--Rachael--
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Stephen King's Latest Novel: Lisey's Story

I found Lisey's Story to be an excellent novel - lots of interesting twists, and excellent characters.
Stephanie
New User
Lauri
0 Kudos

I'm about 1/3rd through this book. I nearly stopped reading after 50 pages, I just couldn't get "into" the book at all. I spent a lot of time in the beginning of the book trying to figure out if Scott was alive or not in "present" time. I don't like the time shifts in this book very well, at least so far. Sometimes it works in a book and sometimes it doesn't. I'm not convinced yet.

The "quirky" language threw me for awhile and is still annoying me, but I think that once I got past that, the book started to flow a little better.

I think that I'll end up enjoying this book in the long run...I know that it's going to pick up more.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Lauri,

The quirky language abates some after a while, and then at the end, I found myself somewhat attached to it. It's a peculiar thing, the way that language worked through the book. King used it as a device. He wanted us privy to their most intimate language, in order to put us directly into the relationship and allow us to be a part of it. It allows us to understand Scott much more, because we see him through the loving eyes of his wife.
Stephanie
Contributor
suga49
0 Kudos

Hi,
I just finished reading Lisey's Story. It was a wonderful book. I really think Lisey was very brave to confront Dooley on Scott's turf with her sister Amanda. She really loved her husband and she confronted his demons and his life with strength beyond measure. Sometimes she wished she hadn't marry him doing their time in Germany, because the bed they slept in and had sex in became an albertross. She also went to Scott's dark side to see what kind of man he was. I also can understand why Scott and his brother Paul created Boo'ya Moon. It was a safe place for he and his brother to escape the abuse that they endured from their father. Lisey found her anchor at the end.
Karen Terry
Albany, GA
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

I think you're right about Boo'ya Moon as a safe haven for Scott and Paul. It was interesting for me to think of my own childhood "safe zones" - where I went when my parents or siblings argued, whether out of the house or into my head. I think children are naturally capable of protecting themselves, to a degree. I liked King's journey into another world to show this.

It gave me a whole new perspective on depression and psychosis, also.
Stephanie
New User
Lauri
0 Kudos

I'm rather ashamed how long this book is taking me to read. Lisey just visited Boo'ya Moon for the first time with Scott in her memories and is getting ready to visit it again, she got to the pool and it's getting dark (that was my last nights reading). It was about midnight and I've learned to not read Stephen King at night, it truly scares me. He's a GOOD author to bring out that kind of reaction in a reader. Typically, I read before I go to sleep, I'm thinking that I'm going to be finishing this book during the day. :smileyhappy: This is a GOOD book! To think that I almost gave up in the first 50 pages!
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 40 members 621 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: