Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

The Cell

Just picked this up yesterday at the library- I was actually hoping to find the newest book, Lisey's Story, but it was out, and The Cell sounded interesting. Is anyone else just reading it? Or has read it and has comments about it?
Contributor
scubadms
0 Kudos

Re: The Cell

I read it not too long ago. I have seen some others have commented that they didn't care for it but I really liked it. It made me think twice about using my cell phone though! :smileyhappy: I hope you enjoy it and would love to talk with you about it once you have read it. I don't want to spoil it for you.
Denise
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

Thanks Denise

It may be a week or so, but I am a fast reader. I am halfway though a bookclub book (Eye Contact) which I need to finish first.
Contributor
scubadms
0 Kudos

Re: Thanks Denise

No problem. I think that I will reread it so it will be a few days for me too. But whenever you are done we can discuss it since I pretty much remember the story. Happy reading :smileyhappy:
Denise
New User
sharpe211
0 Kudos

I thought this was a really good book! I thought the ending was kind of crappy but overall a great read.
Frequent Contributor
Pugovitz
0 Kudos

sharpe211 wrote:
I thought this was a really good book! I thought the ending was kind of crappy but overall a great read.

QFT
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

Pugovitz wrote:

sharpe211 wrote:

QFT

What is QFT- is it kind of like bumping?

TIA
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

I started Cell Denise

I actually just got Lasik surgery (Thursday) so it will be my first book without glasses in many years! So I didn't read a ton- but it got off to a great start. Interesting character, fast paced, gory but not in a way that bothers me. Kind of Shawn of the Dead ish.
Frequent Contributor
Pugovitz
0 Kudos

Bonnie824 wrote:

Pugovitz wrote:

sharpe211 wrote:

QFT

What is QFT- is it kind of like bumping?

TIA

Quoted For Truth. pretty much "I agree"
New User
Clay
0 Kudos

I finished the Cell, and I felt he did not put a good ending to the novel, in the sense that the Constant Reader has to decide what will happen next, and how the book should end. I am also almost done with Lisey's Story -- much, much better. Stephen King is on top of his form in this novel. This is probably the best book I've read since Misery.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Clay,

I completely agree - Lisey's Story is at the top of my list right now for favorite Stephen King books. I think he did a superb job with this novel, I was just bowled over.
Stephanie
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

I finished the Cell

And I'll agree it was not his best book- but a good easy read while I had to be home from work a few days. I admit I skimmed some in the middle. I actually liked the end though. I prefer my books to end fairly happy, so this was open enough for me, without being a gooshy unreal happy ending. I LOVED the parts with he ex wife and son, and his feelings that he would bargain her away- and had. The only thing I would change for sure, is that darned cat being left behind. It seemed un-neccessary. Why not backpack him?
New User
Clay
0 Kudos

Re: I finished the Cell

[ Edited ]
I finished Lisey's Story, so I will be posting in that thread shortly.

Message Edited by Clay on 01-22-200704:34 PM

New User
ruthlesspunksunited88
0 Kudos

I got Cell when it first came out in paperback, i think i read it in about 2 days. But it wasn't as good as I thought it would be, it was too much like the movie Dawn of the Dead.
Reader
TGonzales323
0 Kudos

I am a newbie, and I just wanted to say that I have been reading King for over a decade.

I liked The Cell, I thought it was an interesting social commentary on our reliance on modern technology, and the potential for disaster. It is not far fetched that something along the lines of the "pulse" might occur, which adds depth to the thrill. It was not his best book, but I liked it far more than Lisey's Story. Just my thoughts!

Happy reading!
New User
czarina
0 Kudos

I read "The Cell" when it first came out and I was quite disappointed in it. It seems that King was trying a different writing technique--using only one point of view character and giving no depth to any of the 'supporting cast' as it were. I found this quite limiting and it made the story extremely linear and...I don't know, more shallow, than his others. He is still a favorite author of mine and it wouldn't put me off reading any of his others, but I personally think of "The Cell" as a failed experiment.
Czarina
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 55 members 1,181 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: