Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Welcome from your Moderator

Welcome to the Barnes & Noble Book Club for Stephen King. I am really excited to be your moderator for this group.

As your moderator, I will be joining in the discussions. B&N's online book clubs are a unique environment for discussion. Please contribute often, as this will keep the conversation flowing and the discourse lively.

If you haven't yet gotten a copy of Lisey's Story, I personally recommend that you do. It is an excellent read. I found myself completely immersed in it, and could not put it down.

I look forward to hearing your opinions and thoughts about the novels.

Please post your own introduction so that we can all get to know each other better.

Enjoy the group!

Stephanie Moffitt
Stephanie
Jan
New User
Jan
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome from your Moderator

I just came across this message board and would like to become part of it. I have not yet read Stephen King's new book but plan to very soon. I recently read "Cell", just finished listening to "Apt Pupil" and am now listening to "Riding the Bullet". As you can see, I am an avid King fan. My favorite work of his is "The Long Walk". I especially enjoyed "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon".

Jan
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Jan,

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and Apt Pupil are two I really enjoyed as well. How did you like the style of The Girl? I wasn't sure I was going to like it at first, but a little bit in I found it very appropriate and gripping.

Stephanie
Stephanie
Reader 4
sourmug
0 Kudos

Stephen King has been a favorite of mine since the '70's.

Right now, though, Stephanie, I am on a couple of these book groups as well, and am wondering how to get rid of the messages I have read. I always used to "refresh" on the old system. I guess I am a bit confused with this new system, too!
Thanks in advance for any tips!
Sourmug
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Right now I'm using the threaded view (from a main group page, under Board Options) so the unread messages are highlighted in bold type. I don't think the threads are collapsible though.

There are lots of options, and trust me when I say, you can't break it, so feel free to click around until you're set up the way you feel most comfortable. As I find what works best, I'll be sure to share.

Stephanie
Stephanie
Reader
metheos
0 Kudos

came across this group & have posted a few replies already
having read the cell when it came out i found it sadly lacking in anything that made me like king's early work ie salem's lot or the shinning etc.
how would you rate his new book compared to these

thanks

metheos
Frequent Contributor
Sensorymoments
0 Kudos

Wishing Stephen King would grace the book club.

I wonder if Stephen King would ever join the discussions? :smileyhappy:

It would be really interesting to have a true book club with him answering questions! .....but it would probably be impossible to get him away from writing a book for very long

(anyone ever read umney's last case? )
Owy

*Taking everyday, one book at a time*
Contributor
Eliza
0 Kudos

Re: Wishing Stephen King would grace the book club.

I would skip work, church, or Christmas dinner at my grandmother's if Stephen King ever joined the message board for an hour. I have other authors that I love and own all of their books, but for some reason King is the one that I'd most like to have a conversation with. I've always thought that he would be incredibly interesting to meet.
Contributor
threat2
0 Kudos

Hi Metheos,
I don't know if it's because I'm older now, or just that it was so graphic, but I couldn't get into CELL. However, I'm really enjoying LISEY'S STORY so far.
Theresa
Contributor
scubadms
0 Kudos

Stephen King actually came and spoke to a group of about 100 people at my college when I was in school. He also read an excerpt from one of his books, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. I was impressed and enjoyed listening to him speak and immediately fell in love with his story and when and bought it the next day. However, I was not yet a fan and did not ask any questions. I can remember being shocked but the amount of times that he swore in the presentation! I was not offended or anything like that just amazed. It would be interesting to have him join the discussion though!
Denise
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Denise,

It would be astounding to have Stephen King in the discussion- I don't think it'll happen, but I surely can believe that his posts would be peppered with "bleeps" - I think he just can't help it.
Stephanie
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 1,089 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: