Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

What Shall We Read?

I'd like to propose that we choose a book to read next month, and I'm thinking it would be nice to read one that most of us have not read before. I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
Sensorymoments
0 Kudos

Re: What Shall We Read?

Hmm....Well, I actually haven't read many Stephen King books, ....and don't really have any of his other ones, except for the stand,
but maybe I could get one cheap at a used bookstore-to read for this, cause I'm maxed out for the time being on buying books, but whaterver everyone decides, I'm interested in reading.....anything :smileyhappy:

The books I can think of that I've wanted to read of his were, salems lot, some of his newer stuff, and maybe something from his older, most earliest publications. I don't know!

It may...be a good idea to read a collection of his short stories (which aren't that SHORT! ...40 pages roughly, and we could discuss each one, and who knows what kind of correlations or things we could discover!

I own nightmares and dreamscapes, and everythings eventual. (both collections of short stories )
Owy

*Taking everyday, one book at a time*
Frequent Contributor
TeresaF
0 Kudos

My vote is for the short(er) stories. Either of Sensorymoments' suggestions -- Nightmares and Dreamscapes or Everthing's Eventual -- works for me.
Frequent Contributor
Sensorymoments
0 Kudos

TeresaF wrote:
My vote is for the short(er) stories. Either of Sensorymoments' suggestions -- Nightmares and Dreamscapes or Everthing's Eventual -- works for me.

Haha, eah espicially given the size of most of king's stories...it might be easier to tackle his fun short stories:smileyhappy:
Owy

Contributor
scubadms
0 Kudos

I would be interested in reading almost anything. Some of my personal favorites are those in the Dark Tower series, although they may be harder for everyone to read since there are so many of them, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, From A Buick 8, and I am currently reading Insomnia, which is very good and not too long. But again I would be interested in reading almost anything. I also have several collections of short stories including the ones previously mentioned and those would be fine too. I know in another thread someone had mentioned Black House, which I also found very good. Stephanie, you had mentioned to read this book for next month? Happy reading everyone :smileyhappy:
Denise
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

I'm going to go ahead and leave the question open for a while longer to make sure that everyone who wants a say gets to have it, but it sounds as though a book of his short stories would be amenable to most. That would certainly work for me as well.
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
Bibliocrates
0 Kudos

'Salem's Lot - scary book! I've read it already, but I would love to read it again. I'm going to read the newer illustrated version next time.
Frequent Contributor
Bibliocrates
0 Kudos

Nightmares and Dreamscapes, yes! I just recently got this book and haven't read it yet. I also have Everything's Eventual, which I haven't read all the way through, but I have read about half of the stories in it. Infact, I think I do have most of his short story collections. The only one I have read in its entirety is Night Shift.
Contributor
scubadms
0 Kudos

Staphanie,
Have you decided on a collection of short stories to read for February? Since it is getting close I would like to make sure that I have the book, or if I already have it that I can find it, and have time to read the first story before we discuss it. If you have not yet decided do youhave any idea when you will decide? Thanks.
Denise
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Denise,

I thought we could start with Everything's Eventual in early February- the 5th, when the rest of the Feb groups begin, giving us all two weekends and a work-week to pick up a copy and start reading.

If everyone's amenable, that's the plan!

Happy Reading!
Stephanie
Contributor
scubadms
0 Kudos

Thanks Stephanie. That sounds great. I actually already have that one so that works wonderful for me. Thanks again and I look forward to discussing the first story with everyone on the 5th.
Denise
Frequent Contributor
Sensorymoments
0 Kudos

Oh! that's great! this will make for a great, and possibly lengthy discussion. I think it is a great idea to tackle the short stories contained in one book, because if someone sees a discussion that piques thier interest, it won't take ALOT ot read the short story and come back and talk about it, so we won't have to wait eons until everyone finishes the books :smileyhappy:

I can't wait!
Owy

New User
bear549
0 Kudos

Just some thoughts.
There is a reading plan related to the Dark Tower Universe. It can be found on DarkTower.net. Might be fun to follow that along as well as reading the non-Tower stuff (whole new thread on just what that might mean) in reverse chronological order (newest oldest)
Lisey's Story > Cell > and so on along with: Gunslinger > Eyes of the Dragon > and on and on . . .
Contributor
suga49
0 Kudos

I haven't read his book From A Buick 8. I think that might be a good book to read. I will start on it after I finished reading Paranoia by Joseph Finder.
Karen Terry
Albany, GA
Contributor
ROY99
0 Kudos

Stephanie, I'm new to the online book clubs, and don't really know my way around yet. It seems everyone's in the middle of books. Do you know what the book for April will be and maybe I can learn my way around the site by the time everyone starts reading. Thanks. ROY99
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

New book clubs are posted on the main page - if you click on "Book Clubs Home" you'll find a link for our "Coming Soon" section. There are many excellent selections for April.
Stephanie
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online:53 members 410 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: