Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
TracyC
0 Kudos

A Welcome from Tracy Chevalier

A Message from Tracy Chevalier about Burning Bright

Dear Reader,

When I was in second grade, my teacher taught us about opposites. An opposite, she explained, is the thing that is as different as can be from something else. "So the opposite of white is --"

"Black."

"Good. And the opposite of left is --"

"Right."

"Boy?"

"Girl."

"Sweet?"

Umm... "Salty. No -– sour!"

"Doctor?"

Doctor? There is no opposite to doctor, is there? "Uh, lawyer?"

"No. Nurse!"

Nurse? I couldn’t understand that at all, and got so frustrated I began to cry. Retrospectively I see what the teacher was getting at -- this was in the pre-women’s lib, un-PC 1960s, and she meant a doctor was a man, so the opposite would be a nurse/woman. I didn’t get that then, though; in fact, the whole idea of what opposites were began to unravel to me during that lesson. Black and white, after all, are not "as different as can be" from each other, for both are colors. Left and right are both directions. Boys and girls are both humans, and doctors and nurses both work in medicine. They seem to share similarities rather than differences.

All these years later, I am still wrestling with opposites. This time it’s innocence and experience. While it’s tempting to think that kids are either one or the other, and that innocence and experience are "as different as can be," in reality they are jumbled together. A child can experience horrendous things, as do Jem, Maggie and Maisie, the children in Burning Bright, and yet retain their innocence. Sometimes it just takes the help of a sympathetic grown-up to navigate through these baffling opposites. In this case, that person happens to be William Blake, English poet, painter, and a most curious man to live next door to. He wrote his own map of childhood, calling it Songs of Innocence and of Experience; Burning Bright shows us how to read it. Happy navigating.

Best wishes,

Tracy Chevalier

Users Online
Currently online: 29 members 618 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: