Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

General Discussion Topic: Meeting William Blake

[ Edited ]
William Blake's first two appearances in the novel are quite striking -- first, in his bonnet rouge on page 19, and then when Jem and Maggie spy on him having sex in his backyard (page 27). What significance does this have for him as a character? What did you expect of him after these prominent glimpses?

Note: This discussion topic is particularly suitable for the early/middle chapters of Burning Bright.

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 05-04-2007 08:14 AM

Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Re: General Discussion Topic: Meeting William Blake

I think it's to illustrate that William Blake is anything but ordinary. He's a character who will do and/or say the unexpected. Conventions mean nothing to him - he's ruled by his own feelings. I anticipated strong feelings and convictions from this man as well as an unexpectedness.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

I get the impression he's a free spirit and does what he wants to do. He's bold and brash and maybe that comes out in his works. I've never read any of them so maybe I'm being forward here.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:
I get the impression he's a free spirit and does what he wants to do. He's bold and brash and maybe that comes out in his works. I've never read any of them so maybe I'm being forward here.

Yes, he does seem to be his own man. He doesn't do things because its proper or whatever, he does them when the whim hits him. In other words, he seems not to care what others think of him. I like reading about him even though I haven't read any of his work either.
Frequent Contributor
Mariposa
0 Kudos

If anyone is interested in learning more about Blake, perhaps going to this site and seeing his work is a way of meeting him:

http://www.blakearchive.org/blake/main.html

Lizabeth
Contributor
TinaSChang
0 Kudos

As an avid Blake fan who knew about these two aspects of his life already (naked activities in the backyard and revolutionary support), I thought it was a clever and realistic way to introduce him. This is the perspective of his neighbors and so they see this side of him before reaching his poetry.

I also liked the discussion between Maggie and her father in the pub regarding "Paradise Lost" and the quote from that poem. In essence it captures an essential part of Blake's vision using a more well known work of literature. Slipping in the brief description of his copper plates and printing process is also nicely done.

I'm wondering, as an author, did you think carefully over all the aspects of Blake's personality and the order in which it should be presented, and then design the story to fit this narrative structure? Or at least arrange the opening of the novel to achieve this effect?
Tina S. Chang
Science and Math Fiction

http://profiles.yahoo.com/tinaschangsf

tinaschangsf@yahoo.com
Users Online
Currently online: 9 members 403 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: