Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself!

[ Edited ]
Hello, Tracy Chevalier Fans!

To help us all get to know each other as we discuss Burning Bright, feel free to post an introductory message in this area to tell us a bit about yourself.

Are you a longtime reader of Chevalier's novels, or is this your first? What drew you to our discussion? Who are some of your other favorite writers in this genre?

Do tell...

Amanda

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 05-11-2007 03:46 PM

Contributor
jardine
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

How daunting to start! First of all, thank you very much for this brilliant idea and great opportunity for all fans! It is nice to share interpretations and it is even more so when the author takes part in the discussion. I teach English in a high school near Paris, France and last year I completed a DEA (Master's Degree) about Tracy Chevalier's works precisely. It was a pleasure indeed to "unravel" her prose as it is rich and full of images and I spent 2 years reading her books all over again. At school, I studied "Girl with a Pearl Earring" with Year 13 students three years ago and it was a fantastic experience, which I hope to renew in the years to come. I feel it could become a classic in a while and I keep my fingers crossed so that it is part of the National Curriculum, whether in England, France or other countries pretty soon.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

jardine wrote:
How daunting to start! First of all, thank you very much for this brilliant idea and great opportunity for all fans! It is nice to share interpretations and it is even more so when the author takes part in the discussion. I teach English in a high school near Paris, France and last year I completed a DEA (Master's Degree) about Tracy Chevalier's works precisely. It was a pleasure indeed to "unravel" her prose as it is rich and full of images and I spent 2 years reading her books all over again. At school, I studied "Girl with a Pearl Earring" with Year 13 students three years ago and it was a fantastic experience, which I hope to renew in the years to come. I feel it could become a classic in a while and I keep my fingers crossed so that it is part of the National Curriculum, whether in England, France or other countries pretty soon.

Yes, you are probably right! Girl with a pearl earring, probably will become a classic! Hi, I am Linda, from the old B&N University and loving this new format on barns and Noble bookclubs. I have read alot of Tracy's books and love them. Also I love fiction with a passion, some memoirs and some non fiction but mostly I am obsessed with fiction. I can make it so real in my mind, that I crave the stories. I am retired and can spend hours reading a great book. Of course, I have other interests,seven grandchildren, committee activities, scrapbooking, eating out, going on trips, so much to do since I retired three yrs ago. Happy reading to us all.
Contributor
JulieZ
0 Kudos

Hello! My name's Julie. I'm a high schooler near Philadelphia, USA. I love reading and writing, especially historical fiction. Girl with a Pearl Earring was one of the 45 books on the list for Reading Olympics this year, a competition I'm involved in (our team won a blue ribbon for the fifth year in a row!), so I read this great book through that activity. I was so excited to see that the author is going to be on this book club, so I just placed a request at my local library for Burning Bright. I can't wait to read it and join the discussion!
Julie
New User
book_sorceress
0 Kudos

Hello all. I'm Katie, a college student with way too many books on her hands. I haven't quite started on the book yet since essays for the end of the semester are taking up quite a large portion of my time. Hopefully that is what this weekend will be for. I really look forward to discussing the different topic. That's my English minor rearing it's pretty little head.
Frequent Contributor
Mariposa
0 Kudos

Hi! I am Lizabeth from New York City. I love to read and am an active participant in B&N book clubs. I read Girl with the Pearl Earring and the Lady and the Unicorn and enjoyed them both. I have always been interested in William Blake, so of course, I read Burning Bright. I am looking forward to these conversations.
Contributor
drbethnolan
0 Kudos

Hello, Everyone - I'm excited to join this discussion - my first one at BN. My name is Beth and I live outside of Boston. I love to read just about anything, but historical fiction is my favorite. I really enjoyed Ms. Chevalier's "Girl with a Pearl Earring", "Fallen Angels", "The Lady and the Unicorn", and "The Virgin Blue". I look forward to reading "Burning Bright" - which I just requested from the library today! By day, I work as an administrator in an independent elementary school, I am married with two preschoolers, and I'm a bit of an Alcott scholar.
Looking forward to chatting with you all -- Beth :smileyhappy:
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

I hail from NC and love to read. This is my first book by Tracy and so far it's good!
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
New User
MsGourmet40
0 Kudos

Hi All,
I am from Middle Tennessee, an avid book reader by no means a English major or minor. Though from many years of reading all kinds of books, among my favorites are historical fiction. I have read many of Tracy's books so far my favorite is The Girl In Virgin Blue. The one thing I have to say after reading Tracy's books is none are alike or predictable and the research in her books makes each story so believable. After finishing her latest book Burning Bright today; I would recommend it as book worth reading and look forward to hearing everyone's opinions on her latest book.
Frequent Contributor
cookie
0 Kudos

Tracy Chevalier is my absolute favourite author !
I can't wait to get hold of this book.

I'm an Aussie mum of three.
Philippa's message board:
http://www.philippagregory.com/phpbb2/index.php
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Liz from Western New York - an avid book reader!! I just picked up Burning Bright and am looking forward to reading it as it sounds interesting. This will be my first book by Tracy Chevalier.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
New User
val_nichols
0 Kudos

Hey there. My name is Val and I live in the Seattle area. This is my first time posting in the book club, so please be gentle. I have read all but this most recent of Tracy Chevalier's books and I have enjoyed them all immensely. It's hard to choose a favorite, but I really loved "Fallen Angels". I am a book addict and live by: "If I have a little money, I buy books. If I have any left over, I spend it on food and shelter." Okay, maybe not to that extent since I'm married with two kids, but I'm pretty darn close.
Val
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone! I am an elderly widow living Over the Pond, about 20 miles north of London, with my black cat. I read Girl with a Pearl Ear-ring (and saw the lovely film) and am looking forward to reading this book of Ms Chevalier's with folks here. (I wonder if a film will be made of Burning Bright too?) I am a 'veteran' of BNU/BNBC and enjoy these discussions very much, especially in the wee small hours of the morning when I can't sleep!

val_nichols wrote:
Hey there. My name is Val and I live in the Seattle area. This is my first time posting in the book club, so please be gentle. I have read all but this most recent of Tracy Chevalier's books and I have enjoyed them all immensely. It's hard to choose a favorite, but I really loved "Fallen Angels". I am a book addict and live by: "If I have a little money, I buy books. If I have any left over, I spend it on food and shelter." Okay, maybe not to that extent since I'm married with two kids, but I'm pretty darn close.

Frequent Contributor
hasenbein
0 Kudos

Hi Choisya!

I'm glad we're in another group together!!!

KathyH
Frequent Contributor
hasenbein
0 Kudos

Hello!

My name is Kathy and I live in Orange, California. I work at a large church in the Worship and Music Ministries Department.

I LOVE to read and I love to discuss what I'm reading, so I'm ready to go!

KathyH
Reader 2
PoseiBoateng
0 Kudos

Hello everyone! My name is Patricia and I live in Maryland.

I have read (and loved) all of Tracy Chevalier's books, but without question my favorite was "The Virgin Blue". It is in fact my second favorite book of all time (second only to "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen.)

I am both a new mother and a new writer! I am very excited to get the chance to talk with all of you and Ms. Chevalier about this book, I am almost finished with it!
Author
TracyC
0 Kudos

Hi Patricia. Where are you in Maryland? I spent my teenage years in Bethesda.

I am flattered but also daunted that you put The Virgin Blue next to Pride and Prejudice! Yikes!
Reader 2
PoseiBoateng
0 Kudos

I live in Olney, but I work in Bethesda.

The Virgin Blue was an incredibly written book, while I love Pride and Prejudice, The Virgin Blue was the book that inspired me to start writing! I can't say enough about it, and for those of you who haven't read it yet, it's a MUST!
Frequent Contributor
cookie
0 Kudos

The Virgin Blue would be one of my top two favourite books !
(The other is The Thirteenth Tale).
Philippa's message board:
http://www.philippagregory.com/phpbb2/index.php
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Hi Kathy - nice to see you here again - I hope you keep well.

hasenbein wrote:
Hi Choisya!

I'm glad we're in another group together!!!

KathyH

Users Online
Currently online: 23 members 565 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: