There are so many writers to give thanks for, so many books. But if I had to recommend one, it would be The Conversations With Walter Murch by Michael Ondaatje.
If you want to learn all you can about editing and about making art in general, take a gander. Anyone I have lent this book to has called it utterly life-changing.
But these books below are the ones I'd want to have with me on a desert island:
1. The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith
2. Collected Nonfictions by Jorge Luis Borges
3. An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser
4. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
5. Blind Woman, Sleeping Willow by Haruki Murakami
6. Heat by Joyce Carol Oates
7. Liars in Love by Richard Yates
8. American Pastoral by Phillip Roth
9. The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
10. In Dreams Begin Responsibilities by Delmore Schwartz
What's on your list?