Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

OFF SUBJECT: THE ICE STORM IN US

I am not sure where to post things to people that are completely off the subject but a place for us to chat, like the old format had, so I will just start this one and leave it to the admins to move if necessary.

Hey guys, those of you out there in the US,anyone else here that was affected or is now being affected by this humungous ice storm? They say this will go down in the record books as the Ice Storm of 2007. For those of you out of the states, it has stretched from down in Texas up to the Great Lakes, all of the plain states. I see its moving to the east too and behind the rain is more ice.

As you can see, since I have still been here posting :smileywink:, I faired ok. I stayed in and we lucked out here, no power outages here so kept warm and safe. I almost couldnt open my front door today and I couldnt walk out on the porch. What looks like snow, is solid thick ice, sleet.

We had some problems here in Oklahoma tho, nearly 200,000 without electricity and temps down in the single digits and unfortunately 12 road related deaths because of it. Many are still without power in the southeast, where the weight of the ice broke trees and snapped electrical poles, often smashing them into house roofs.

The sun is out today but we will not be above freezing for most of the week, so I suppose I am still captive of my house and wondering what my utility bill will be this month, but mostly, I am glad to be safe!

Anyone out there under all this, facing this and how is your area doing? Hope everyone is well.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: OFF SUBJECT: THE ICE STORM IN US

I am sorry to hear about this Vivico but pleased to know that you are OK. I heard from another BNU reader, Curtis or Okie, who was due to go back to Oklahoma from Louisiana yesterday but has postponed his trip for a couple of days. It is good to know that our BNU friends at least are safe but it is bad news for all those who have suffered so badly:smileysad:

vivico1 wrote:
I am not sure where to post things to people that are completely off the subject but a place for us to chat, like the old format had, so I will just start this one and leave it to the admins to move if necessary.

Hey guys, those of you out there in the US,anyone else here that was affected or is now being affected by this humungous ice storm? They say this will go down in the record books as the Ice Storm of 2007. For those of you out of the states, it has stretched from down in Texas up to the Great Lakes, all of the plain states. I see its moving to the east too and behind the rain is more ice.

As you can see, since I have still been here posting :smileywink:, I faired ok. I stayed in and we lucked out here, no power outages here so kept warm and safe. I almost couldnt open my front door today and I couldnt walk out on the porch. What looks like snow, is solid thick ice, sleet.

We had some problems here in Oklahoma tho, nearly 200,000 without electricity and temps down in the single digits and unfortunately 12 road related deaths because of it. Many are still without power in the southeast, where the weight of the ice broke trees and snapped electrical poles, often smashing them into house roofs.

The sun is out today but we will not be above freezing for most of the week, so I suppose I am still captive of my house and wondering what my utility bill will be this month, but mostly, I am glad to be safe!

Anyone out there under all this, facing this and how is your area doing? Hope everyone is well.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Thanks Choisya,
Yeah this has been a rough one and he is wise to stay there for a day or two. Even with the sun, until the temps rise, all it does is melt the ice a bit and then refreeze it. This storm wont be over till it clears the whole east coast. This was one MAJOR ice storm!

Choisya wrote:
I am sorry to hear about this Vivico but pleased to know that you are OK. I heard from another BNU reader, Curtis or Okie, who was due to go back to Oklahoma from Louisiana yesterday but has postponed his trip for a couple of days. It is good to know that our BNU friends at least are safe but it is bad news for all those who have suffered so badly
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

Hi,
We saw some pictures from your ice storm on TV, in France, yesterday. It looked very impressive. Over here, in France, the weather is unusually mild: it have never been never been so mild in 25 years. Some rosebush are already covered with flowers...Good luck to you.
Danielle
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Thank you Chadadanielle,
Yes the weather globally is changing at an alarming rate. I fear the tornado season here in the spring may be filled with many more tornadoes and more destructive ones. Thank you for your wishes. I wished I could see your rosebuds today! :smileyhappy: p.s. how are you finding the book? are you through with it? Would love to see some more of your posts.

Chadadanielle wrote:
Hi,
We saw some pictures from your ice storm on TV, in France, yesterday. It looked very impressive. Over here, in France, the weather is unusually mild: it have never been never been so mild in 25 years. Some rosebush are already covered with flowers...Good luck to you.
Danielle
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

I second Viv's remarks!
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

When I first saw this post, I thought it was about the Ang Lee movie, one of my top three movies of all time. (Now that's a way to start an extraneous discussion thread!)
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

fanuzzir wrote:
When I first saw this post, I thought it was about the Ang Lee movie, one of my top three movies of all time. (Now that's a way to start an extraneous discussion thread!)

Just found the Ang Lee movie you were talking about.

I LOVED Crouching Tiger btw. I think I have seem the movie the Ice Storm but am not sure. Is this the one where the teenage boy gets killed at the end, or close to the end on the night of the ice storm on a street or bridge? If not, dont tell me what happens and I will rent it and check it out :smileywink:
Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

check these latest figures and another storm is heading this way!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070117/ap_on_re_us/winter_blast_105
Vivian
Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
check these latest figures and another storm is heading this way!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070117/ap_on_re_us/winter_blast_105

I am impressed!!I have never been in extreme weather. And even though I lived in the US for two years in Washington D.C. (1981-1983), nothing special happened.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

I live just outside a little town, where the last mile to my property is a gravel road. Usually this actually helps when the roads are bad BUT, I just got out for the first time in a week. There was a solid inch of ice on my car that i worked hard on yesterday to get the off and warm up the car. then I gave up for the day. I have to take my stepfather for a biopsy tomorrow and wanted to test this area and also get my mail! its in a rural box about 1/2 a mile down the road. This stuff is harder than the ground ever was! You can not make an impression in it even in a car. I had two layers of clothes on and a heavy coat, two sets of gloves, a hood and earmuffs just to do that and of course my cell phone! MAN, talk about scary, its not the going, its the stopping and there are two small hills each right at an intersection that you can just slide right into someone coming from the side road if your not careful. I made it, dont want to do it again LOL. But have to get him there tomorrow and then some of this will melt off a bit tomorrow when the temps get just a hair above freezing, before the next storm hits this next weekend. So tomorrow is my day to get out and get what foods and things I may need for another week's seige while I am at it. They say that once you get off the side roads or residential roads, its not too bad, so if i can make that one full mile with two hills I will be ok i think. I just went to the mailbox today, no further. This stuff is nuts!
Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: OFF SUBJECT: THE ICE STORM IN US/ content and background posts?

Since this was off the subject to begin with,let me ask another question here. I am showing 7 new posts for Content and background section and i cant find them any method I use. I have gone linear and thread and each page yet i still show 7 new messeges. Anyone else seeing this, cause I was excited at the idea of 7 new posts finally. This is weird.
Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: OFF SUBJECT: THE ICE STORM IN US/ anyone else?

I am seeing no other posts today at all except yours chadadanielle saying you have the same problem. So I am just posting something here to see if i can see this one show up as new. IF anyone has posted today , could you send me a private message then saying you did, so if B&N does get back to me, I can tell them>?
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Viv, this thread is working correctly at least. The board said two new replies, and there were two.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: OFF SUBJECT: THE ICE STORM IN US/ STill alive?

anyone still alive out there? just say yes, no need for more if you read this. I have not seen a post or a change in views, which is very odd, all day. HELLOOOOO (echo echo echo) LOL
Vivian
Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
I am seeing no other posts today at all except yours chadadanielle saying you have the same problem. So I am just posting something here to see if i can see this one show up as new. IF anyone has posted today , could you send me a private message then saying you did, so if B&N does get back to me, I can tell them>?

I busy reading "The Good Soldier", very interesting.... The weather has not been very good lately in Europe either..
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

chadadanielleKR wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

I busy reading "The Good Soldier", very interesting.... The weather has not been very good lately in Europe either..

I have seen that, about the weather there, be careful! I am reading the memory keeper's daughter. I dont read novels, tho i like science fiction but the soldier one sounded as depressing as this one lol, so thought I would switch. Nothing else looked good. I still miss the old topics. Was all set to do the one on Japan they had. Also, thought i would try this novel and see what the author has to say, if thats a more interesting class. Le me know how the soldier goes in case it comes up again :smileywink: and good luck. Hey, at least I saw your post too!
Vivian
Users Online
Currently online: 33 members 1,079 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: