Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself!

[ Edited ]
Use this thread to introduce yourself to the rest of the club!  Simply "reply" and type in your introduction.  Have you read Villette in the past?  Is this your first time reading it?  What brings you to the club?

~ConnieK

Message Edited by ConnieK on 03-29-2008 02:10 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
tommiemarie
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Hi.  My name is Tommie.  I am 33 and I live in Kansas.  I've actually always wanted to be part of a book club but haven't had the opportunity.  I'm excited to join this one.  I read Villette for the first time just a couple of months ago.  I have an english degree and very much enjoy reading classic literature.  I have read (and loved) the more popular works by the Brontes, so I wanted to start reading their lesser known novels.
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,085
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

I'm the LbW mod and I was teasing Connie last week for stealing Vilette from my group - haha!  I was handily outvoted during both of the last nomination/voting periods, so at least this way Vilette gets some good exposure since Connie is moderating :smileyhappy:

I've never actually made it all the way through Vilette - life usually intervenes somewhere in the middle.  Hopefully I'll make it all the way through this time and pop in on the board occasionally.
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Contributor
Mstermind1
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Molly and I also live in Kansas (hi Tommie!)
I have never read Villette before, but I have just learned that I am required to read it for a summer course I am taking on Victorian Narratives.  I am thrilled to have the opportunity to actually discuss the book before heading into the classroom!!
New User
BronteFan
0 Kudos

My name is Marie and I live in Tennessee. I am a student/full time worker at ETSU, and the Brontës are my passion. I have read all their novels and poetry, and have read most of their juvenilia. I have a website The Brontë Soul which is a catch-all for anything and everything Brontë. Villette is my number 2 favorite Brontë novel, coming only behind Jane Eyre with Anne Brontë's The Tenant of Wildfell Hall coming in third. I look forward to the great discussions we will have on this wonderful book!!! :smileywink:
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Tommie!  Glad to have you here in the Villette club!  I hope you enjoy it.

~ConnieK

tommiemarie wrote:
Hi.  My name is Tommie.  I am 33 and I live in Kansas.  I've actually always wanted to be part of a book club but haven't had the opportunity.  I'm excited to join this one.  I read Villette for the first time just a couple of months ago.  I have an english degree and very much enjoy reading classic literature.  I have read (and loved) the more popular works by the Brontes, so I wanted to start reading their lesser known novels.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Hi, pedsphleb--welcome!  I'll have to check out the LbW club sometime.  I'm usually pretty busy with the classics board and another one I moderate.  Glad this book has a board of its own, since it's one you are interested in.  Thanks for joining us!

~ConnieK

pedsphleb wrote:
I'm the LbW mod and I was teasing Connie last week for stealing Vilette from my group - haha!  I was handily outvoted during both of the last nomination/voting periods, so at least this way Vilette gets some good exposure since Connie is moderating :smileyhappy:

I've never actually made it all the way through Vilette - life usually intervenes somewhere in the middle.  Hopefully I'll make it all the way through this time and pop in on the board occasionally.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Molly!  How convenient that we're discussing Villette now when you need to read it for your summer class.  I hope you'll post early and often! 

~ConnieK

Mstermind1 wrote:
Hi, my name is Molly and I also live in Kansas (hi Tommie!)
I have never read Villette before, but I have just learned that I am required to read it for a summer course I am taking on Victorian Narratives.  I am thrilled to have the opportunity to actually discuss the book before heading into the classroom!!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Marie!  You sound like a Bronte expert!  I hope we can count on you to jump right in and share your knowledge and passion for the Brontes!  Thanks for the website.  You might want to repost that in the thread for Bronte/Villette links.

~ConnieK

BronteFan wrote:
My name is Marie and I live in Tennessee. I am a student/full time worker at ETSU, and the Brontës are my passion. I have read all their novels and poetry, and have read most of their juvenilia. I have a website The Brontë Soul which is a catch-all for anything and everything Brontë. Villette is my number 2 favorite Brontë novel, coming only behind Jane Eyre with Anne Brontë's The Tenant of Wildfell Hall coming in third. I look forward to the great discussions we will have on this wonderful book!!! :smileywink:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,085
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Come on over!  This month we're reading Beloved and next month we're reading George Sand's The Black City :smileyhappy:

ConnieK wrote:
Hi, pedsphleb--welcome!  I'll have to check out the LbW club sometime.  I'm usually pretty busy with the classics board and another one I moderate.  Glad this book has a board of its own, since it's one you are interested in.  Thanks for joining us!

~ConnieK

pedsphleb wrote:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Denise, a computer programmer in Massachusetts.  I'm intrigued by this discussion, but I'm not sure how much I will be able to participate, since I am in the middle of finishing off Jane Austen by finally reading her 'Minor Works', and have been having a lot of difficulty finding any time to read lately (two young cats I adopted in October are taking up much of my time at home!).  But perhaps I will find some threads to join in with.  I read Villette for college many, many years ago, but I'm not sure how much I can remember unless I can find a lot of time to reread it.  Maybe I can dump Jane for the time being and pick up with Charlotte.  I love the Brontes (Wuthering Heights is my favorite).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Contributor
StellaBee
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Melanie. I've had the B&N edition of Villette in my to be read stack for at least a year. I decided now would be a good time to read and discuss with the group. I'll try my best to keep up.  
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!

I've never read Villette before, but I enjoyed Jane Eyre very much and decided to give this novel a try. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time to post. I'm a SAHM of 5, and they keep me hopping:smileywink:!
Peppermill
0 Kudos

KristyR wrote:
Hi everyone!

I've never read Villette before, but I enjoyed Jane Eyre very much and decided to give this novel a try. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time to post. I'm a SAHM of 5, and they keep me hopping:smileywink:!

Bless You!  How old are are your children?  Hopefully Villette and posting can be some time out and recuperative time?  (Saw a delightful advertisement in Bazaar's at the hairdresser's today -- child in diapers is on the desk chair and typing at the laptop on the tabletop; Mom is under the table doing her thing -- toys et al everywhere!) 

At the moment, I am loitering only on this board -- B&N did have a two-for-one that convinced me to pick up a copy of Villette, but my obligations elsewhere and toppling-over stack of reading may deter me from participating actively.  Pepper 

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

KristyR wrote:
Hi everyone!

Bless You!  How old are are your children?  Hopefully Villette and posting can be some time out and recuperative time?  (Saw a delightful advertisement in Bazaar's at the hairdresser's today -- child in diapers is on the desk chair and typing at the laptop on the tabletop; Mom is under the table doing her thing -- toys et al everywhere!) 

At the moment, I am loitering only on this board -- B&N did have a two-for-one that convinced me to pick up a copy of Villette, but my obligations elsewhere and toppling-over stack of reading may deter me from participating actively.  Pepper 

Hi Peppermill,

I have one son - age 11, and four girls - ages 8, 6, 3, and 9 months. I can definitely relate to hiding under a table to get something done. Every time I try to type or read something on the computer holding the baby, she hits or kicks the keyboard - it's impossible! I'm also on the Odyssey board, lurking mostly...
Peppermill
0 Kudos

KristyR wrote:
I have one son - age 11, and four girls - ages 8, 6, 3, and 9 months. I can definitely relate to hiding under a table to get something done. Every time I try to type or read something on the computer holding the baby, she hits or kicks the keyboard - it's impossible! I'm also on the Odyssey board, lurking mostly...
Kristy -- What a delight -- and so much energy required! I lived the full time professional work outside the home and a single child life. I am convinced we simply make rich choices in our lives and then struggle to enjoy them. Pepper
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
tgem
0 Kudos

Hello,

I purchased Villette a couple days ago - visiting my local B&N which is an hour away.  I enjoyed my drive over the mountain, used my 40% off CD coupon, and was pleasantly surprised by a very helpful employee in that department.  I enjoyed my latte while skimming another potential purchase. A good day.  Then it was back to work and family obligations and I've had almost no time to read.  (I get very grumpy if I go too long without reading.) 

I thought I would admit to lurking on this board.  I have found  past discussions moderated by our moderator, ConnieK, to be of great value.  Maybe I should take that 30 minute break at work and bring my book.

Here's to busy women...

tgem
Contributor
SusanHG
0 Kudos

Hello,
My name is Susan and I am from Buffalo, NY.  I have a BA in English and am a soon-to-be graduate student in English at the University of Buffalo.  I have taken a few years off to raise my son (he is off to Pre-K in September), so I am looking forward to taking some time for myself and getting back into literature.  I have never read Villette, but have read Jane Eyre and loved it.  Hope I can sneak some moments in to read between Play-doh and Spiderman. Definitely looking forward to it!
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I did start reading, and got through the first two chapters, which are both very short.  Result - overslept and got to work almost an hour late!  I noticed it seems to be a rather long novel; I'll do my best, but can't promise anything!  So far I don't seem to remember anything from the last time I read it (probably about 30 years ago).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
New User
krscats
0 Kudos

Hi,
I'm an early retiree at the age of 61 from Pennsylvania. I enjoy reading and gardening. I especially enjoy novels concerning the victorian era and all of its social and political ramifications. I am looking forward to reading Villette as I have never read it. I have enjoyed other works by the Bronte's.
Users Online
Currently online:4 members 311 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: