Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Welcome, Denise!  Just participate whenever and however you'd like and are able to do.  Anything is fine!

~ConnieK

dulcinea3 wrote:
Hi, I'm Denise, a computer programmer in Massachusetts.  I'm intrigued by this discussion, but I'm not sure how much I will be able to participate, since I am in the middle of finishing off Jane Austen by finally reading her 'Minor Works', and have been having a lot of difficulty finding any time to read lately (two young cats I adopted in October are taking up much of my time at home!).  But perhaps I will find some threads to join in with.  I read Villette for college many, many years ago, but I'm not sure how much I can remember unless I can find a lot of time to reread it.  Maybe I can dump Jane for the time being and pick up with Charlotte.  I love the Brontes (Wuthering Heights is my favorite).

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Welcome, StellaBee!  Jump in whenever you like!

~ConnieK

StellaBee wrote:
Hi, I'm Melanie. I've had the B&N edition of Villette in my to be read stack for at least a year. I decided now would be a good time to read and discuss with the group. I'll try my best to keep up.  

Message Edited by ConnieK on 04-04-2008 12:54 AM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, KristyR!  5 children?  Wow!  You are busy.  I hope the book club gives you a welcome respite with fellow readers, whether you are able to post or simply lurk.  I wish I'd had the Internet and online book clubs when my children were small.  There were days it would have helped a lot.

~ConnieK

KristyR wrote:
Hi everyone!

I've never read Villette before, but I enjoyed Jane Eyre very much and decided to give this novel a try. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time to post. I'm a SAHM of 5, and they keep me hopping:smileywink:!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Pepper!  Give this one a try when/if you can!

~ConnieK

Peppermill wrote:

At the moment, I am loitering only on this board -- B&N did have a two-for-one that convinced me to pick up a copy of Villette, but my obligations elsewhere and toppling-over stack of reading may deter me from participating actively.  Pepper 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, tgem!  Thanks for the kind words.  I'm lovin' your "Here's to busy women..."  I hope you'll be able to join us.

~ConnieK

tgem wrote:
Hello,

I purchased Villette a couple days ago - visiting my local B&N which is an hour away.  I enjoyed my drive over the mountain, used my 40% off CD coupon, and was pleasantly surprised by a very helpful employee in that department.  I enjoyed my latte while skimming another potential purchase. A good day.  Then it was back to work and family obligations and I've had almost no time to read.  (I get very grumpy if I go too long without reading.) 

I thought I would admit to lurking on this board.  I have found  past discussions moderated by our moderator, ConnieK, to be of great value.  Maybe I should take that 30 minute break at work and bring my book.

Here's to busy women...

tgem

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, SusanHG!  We have a couple of moms looking to the book club for an outlet while being at home.  I love it!  Congrats on your grad. school plans!  I did that while a mom of younger children.  It can be done, especially if you love what you're doing.

~ConnieK

SusanHG wrote:
Hello,
My name is Susan and I am from Buffalo, NY.  I have a BA in English and am a soon-to-be graduate student in English at the University of Buffalo.  I have taken a few years off to raise my son (he is off to Pre-K in September), so I am looking forward to taking some time for myself and getting back into literature.  I have never read Villette, but have read Jane Eyre and loved it.  Hope I can sneak some moments in to read between Play-doh and Spiderman. Definitely looking forward to it!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, krscats!  I hope you enjoy the book and discussion.  The Brontes are quite wonderful, aren't they?

~ConnieK

krscats wrote:
Hi,
I'm an early retiree at the age of 61 from Pennsylvania. I enjoy reading and gardening. I especially enjoy novels concerning the victorian era and all of its social and political ramifications. I am looking forward to reading Villette as I have never read it. I have enjoyed other works by the Bronte's.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
psychodragon
0 Kudos

Hello.  My name is Mary and I live in Massachusetts.  A good friend of mine finally convinced me to read Jane Eyre, (after a few good threats and a little persusion) and I like it so much I wanted to read more of the Brontes.  I am looking forward to reading it and discussing it with you all.  :smileyhappy:
Trust me, it will happen when the turtles eating ice cream storm the beaches of Iowa under the cover of dead sheep powered pigeon spitting canons while those overgrown excuses for telephone poles sit around a square table toasting the invention of self replicating soap.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

"Trust me, it will happen when the turtles eating ice cream storm the beaches of Iowa under the cover of dead sheep powered pigeon spitting canons while those overgrown excuses for telephone poles sit around a square table toasting the invention of self replicating soap."

Mary -- welcome to these boards!  May you enjoy yourself as much as some of us who probably spend too much of our time here!  

I'm guessing your contributions will be as challenging as your tag line! What fun!
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Mary!  I hope you enjoy a good "binge" on the Brontes--ha!  There can be something "addicting" about them, once one gets started!  Feel free to jump in to the discussion whenever you like.  We're glad you're here.

~ConnieK

psychodragon wrote:
Hello.  My name is Mary and I live in Massachusetts.  A good friend of mine finally convinced me to read Jane Eyre, (after a few good threats and a little persusion) and I like it so much I wanted to read more of the Brontes.  I am looking forward to reading it and discussing it with you all.  :smileyhappy:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

As I've just posted on one of the other threads, I thought I'd say "hi" here. I'm Katie, and I read Villette for the first time last September. I doubt I'll have time to do a full re-read, but I plan on refreshing my memory on various bits as I see moments on the other threads to jump in the conversation. In terms of my reading of other Brontë (both Charlotte and her sisters) work: it's been a long time since I've read either Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights, but I just read (and really enjoyed) The Tenant of Wildfell Hall a few months ago.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, krb2g!  Thanks for posting.  Feel free to jump in at any time.

~ConnieK

krb2g wrote:
As I've just posted on one of the other threads, I thought I'd say "hi" here. I'm Katie, and I read Villette for the first time last September. I doubt I'll have time to do a full re-read, but I plan on refreshing my memory on various bits as I see moments on the other threads to jump in the conversation. In terms of my reading of other Brontë (both Charlotte and her sisters) work: it's been a long time since I've read either Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights, but I just read (and really enjoyed) The Tenant of Wildfell Hall a few months ago.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
bmbrennan
0 Kudos

My name is Bridgid and I have just started reading Villette, I am looking forward to the discussions.  I have never read Villette and I have to admit it has been awhile since I have read the Bronte Sisters and hopefully this book will be as memorable as the others which I have read. 
bmbrennan
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. Churchill
Contributor
jhowell
0 Kudos

Hi -- I'm Jen - very much a newbie to a book-club, nevermind an on-line book club.  But I just happenend to be perusing my favorite book buying site and realized I had Vilette sitting on my shelf waiting to be read.  I am jealous of everyone's English degrees; am not nearly that smart -- but I'd like to learn and participate.
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Some of us don't have English degrees - we just like to read alot.  So jump right in! :smileyhappy:

jhowell wrote:
Hi -- I'm Jen - very much a newbie to a book-club, nevermind an on-line book club.  But I just happenend to be perusing my favorite book buying site and realized I had Vilette sitting on my shelf waiting to be read.  I am jealous of everyone's English degrees; am not nearly that smart -- but I'd like to learn and participate.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Bridgid!  I hope you feel free to jump right into the discussions. 

~ConnieK

bmbrennan wrote:
My name is Bridgid and I have just started reading Villette, I am looking forward to the discussions.  I have never read Villette and I have to admit it has been awhile since I have read the Bronte Sisters and hopefully this book will be as memorable as the others which I have read. 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Jen!  Goodness; you certainly don't need a degree in English to read and enjoy discussing a good book!  I hope you'll feel free to share your questions and observations as you go along in Villette.  Mostly the threads above the line are available for members who haven't yet finished reading this long book (that's to avoid seeing "spoilers" about how it ends!).  Below the line threads are fair game for any topic.

EnJOY!

~ConnieK

jhowell wrote:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Users Online
Currently online: 51 members 593 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: