Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Lucy and the Nun

Lucy frequently encounters a nun throughout the novel.  What is the role of the nun in Lucy's thinking?  In the novel?
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: Lucy and the Nun

[ Edited ]
This topic has interested me very much, but I have had to think a lot about it, and I'm not sure I can give a very good answer.

At first, we just hear about the legends of the nun and her appearances.  Lucy seems sceptical about the alleged haunting, as befits her character.  But then she actually sees the nun!  And not once, but several times.  It must have been very unsettling for her; I think she must be very grounded in reality, so it must have been quite a shock to see an apparently unreal apparition.  It introduces a sense of mystery, something that she cannot understand.  Later, she finds that M. Paul has also seen it, and then they actually see it together.  It seemed to be a great relief to her when M. Paul started questioning her about it and she was able to share her experiences.  She must have been keeping it in before that, thinking that people would think she was crazy (although I imagine many of them actually believed in the legends).  Maybe this was one catalyst in her developing regard for M. Paul.

Later, she sees the portrait of M. Paul's lost love Justine Marie, who was a nun.  At that point, she seems to connect the ghost with this woman.  By this time, she has started to have feelings for M. Paul, and I think she becomes jealous of the nun.

Finally, it turns out that it wasn't a ghost after all, but simply Ginevra's boyfriend, dressing up in order to sneak into the school.  It seems that he even deliberately came towards Lucy in order to scare her.  Lucy gets quite a shock when she finds what appears to be the nun in her bed!  But, sensible as she is, she quickly calms down, and I don't think she is particularly shocked to find that the nun was flesh-and-blood.

BTW, if de Hamal was coming into the school that early on, then it would appear that he and Ginevra were already quite serious while she was still leading Dr. John on and apparently favoring him.

Another function of the nun within the novel may have been to add an element of Gothic mystery to the plot.  Bronte seems to like a Gothic touch here and there!

Message Edited by dulcinea3 on 05-01-2008 05:25 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Users Online
Currently online: 77 members 739 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: