Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

OT (Off-Topic) Chat

Here's a thread for member conversation that may not be directly related to the book or author. 
 
~ConnieK
~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
jamisha12
Posts: 95
Registered: ‎03-26-2008
0 Kudos

Re: OT (Off-Topic) Chat

Oh k nice to know Connie
~ Jamisha R.
Contributor
Banderas
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: OT (Off-Topic) Chat

I have a very old copy of Villette, and so far, much of it is written in French and in English, often switching between languages in the middle of a sentence.  How is this handled in a modern version? Is it just in English, or is translation provided?
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: OT (Off-Topic) Chat

Hi, Banderas--In the B&N Classics paperback edition, there are footnote translations of the French phrases.  There is not a lot of French, however.  Most of the text is English.
 
Hope this helps!
 
~ConnieK
 


Banderas wrote:
I have a very old copy of Villette, and so far, much of it is written in French and in English, often switching between languages in the middle of a sentence.  How is this handled in a modern version? Is it just in English, or is translation provided?



~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: OT (Off-Topic) Chat

My copy has no footnotes or translations, either, and there is quite a bit of French, so I'm surprised that other editions would not have so much French.  It seems like most of M. Paul's dialogue is in French, as well as other characters.  I'm doing the best I can with my high school French, but it is quite a challenge!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: OT (Off-Topic) Chat

If there's a sentence you're really having trouble with, or are dying to know the translation of, let me know, and I can try to look up the English translation for you in the B&N edition.  I guess I'd need the chapter and maybe a description of the place in it (starting words of the paragraph would be helpful) to find it, since our page numbers would be different.
 
~ConnieK
 


dulcinea3 wrote:
My copy has no footnotes or translations, either, and there is quite a bit of French, so I'm surprised that other editions would not have so much French.  It seems like most of M. Paul's dialogue is in French, as well as other characters.  I'm doing the best I can with my high school French, but it is quite a challenge!



~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: OT (Off-Topic) Chat

Thanks, Connie, I'll keep that in mind!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Correspondent
momgee
Posts: 584
Registered: ‎07-24-2007
0 Kudos

Re: OT (Off-Topic) Chat



dulcinea3 wrote:
Thanks, Connie, I'll keep that in mind!



I have the Oxford World classic edition and it has 42 pages of explanations at the end of the book. That old HS French comes in handy but some of these things are so idiomatic they make no sense to me so I have had to look up a lot.
kaye
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: OT (Off-Topic) Chat

So far there hasn't been much discussion.  I was wondering if anyone has the Barnes & Noble Classics edition, because they usually have some discussion questions at the end.  Maybe if a few of those were posted, they would inspire more discussion.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: OT (Off-Topic) Chat

Yes; I usually do post those, and I'll do that soon.  Don't forget that participants can post new threads with their own topics of interest at any time as well.  Just click on "New Message" at the top left of your screen.
 
~ConnieK
 


dulcinea3 wrote:
So far there hasn't been much discussion.  I was wondering if anyone has the Barnes & Noble Classics edition, because they usually have some discussion questions at the end.  Maybe if a few of those were posted, they would inspire more discussion.



~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: OT (Off-Topic) Chat

Thanks, Connie!
 
Oh, by the way, since you offered on the French, exactly what is a 'berceau'?  TIA!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: OT (Off-Topic) Chat

 I didn't say I could translate French--I mentioned that I could look up the translation of the phrases used in the novel as they're presented in the B&N Classics edition of Villette (with a chapt. number to help me find it).  That said, though, I looked up your query in an online French-English dictionary, and it says it means "cradle, crib."  Just Google "French to English dictionary" and plug in the word, and you should be able to do the same thing!  Isn't the Internet wonderful? 
 
Hope that helps!
 
~ConnieK
 
 
 


dulcinea3 wrote:
Thanks, Connie!
 
Oh, by the way, since you offered on the French, exactly what is a 'berceau'?  TIA!



~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: OT (Off-Topic) Chat

[ Edited ]
Sorry, Connie, since I don't have that edition, I didn't realize that it didn't have the translation for that word, which is used so often in the novel.  Since you mentioned that it did have some translations, I figured that they would have said what it meant.
 
Editing this to say that I have inquired elsewhere on the meaning, since crib or cradle didn't seem to make sense in this context, and that was the only translation I could find on a number of French online dictionaries, too.  I was told that there is a phrase 'berceau de verdure', which means arbor, and a Frenchman also reasoned out that it might mean arbor or pergola, because berceau is also used in a phrase for a vaulted roof.  Arbor seems to make perfect sense in the context.


Message Edited by dulcinea3 on 04-21-2008 12:57 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: OT (Off-Topic) Chat

dulcinea3:  Could you please point me to the use of the phrase in a specific chapter of your edition? 
 
Thanks,
 
~ConnieK
 


dulcinea3 wrote:
Sorry, Connie, since I don't have that edition, I didn't realize that it didn't have the translation for that word, which is used so often in the novel.  Since you mentioned that it did have some translations, I figured that they would have said what it meant.
 
Editing this to say that I have inquired elsewhere on the meaning, since crib or cradle didn't seem to make sense in this context, and that was the only translation I could find on a number of French online dictionaries, too.  I was told that there is a phrase 'berceau de verdure', which means arbor, and a Frenchman also reasoned out that it might mean arbor or pergola, because berceau is also used in a phrase for a vaulted roof.  Arbor seems to make perfect sense in the context.


Message Edited by dulcinea3 on 04-21-2008 12:57 PM


~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: OT (Off-Topic) Chat

dulcinea3:  In Chapter 14, "The Fete," six paragraphs in, with the paragraph starting "About this time--" there is the following passage: 
 
"We lived far more in the garden than under a roof:  classes were held, and meals partaken of, in the 'grand berceau.'"  (p. 143).
 
The B&N Classics edition translates 'grand berceau' on that page as "Large arbor." 
 
Does that help?
 
~ConnieK
 


ConnieK wrote:
dulcinea3:  Could you please point me to the use of the phrase in a specific chapter of your edition? 
 
Thanks,
 
~ConnieK
 


dulcinea3 wrote:
Sorry, Connie, since I don't have that edition, I didn't realize that it didn't have the translation for that word, which is used so often in the novel.  Since you mentioned that it did have some translations, I figured that they would have said what it meant.
 
Editing this to say that I have inquired elsewhere on the meaning, since crib or cradle didn't seem to make sense in this context, and that was the only translation I could find on a number of French online dictionaries, too.  I was told that there is a phrase 'berceau de verdure', which means arbor, and a Frenchman also reasoned out that it might mean arbor or pergola, because berceau is also used in a phrase for a vaulted roof.  Arbor seems to make perfect sense in the context.


Message Edited by dulcinea3 on 04-21-2008 12:57 PM





~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: OT (Off-Topic) Chat

Thanks, Connie!  That makes a lot of sense.  I hadn't thought of giving a specific reference, since the word is used almost constantly throughout the book, pretty much every time they are outside in the garden; sorry about that.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: OT (Off-Topic) Chat

[ Edited ]
Oh, that's ok, dulcinea!  I'm just a research "gnerd," I guess, and work best with specifics!  Ha.  Not to worry.  :smileywink:  I'm glad it helps clear things up for you.
 
~ConnieK
 


dulcinea3 wrote:
Thanks, Connie!  That makes a lot of sense.  I hadn't thought of giving a specific reference, since the word is used almost constantly throughout the book, pretty much every time they are outside in the garden; sorry about that.





Message Edited by ConnieK on 04-24-2008 09:56 AM
~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Users Online
Currently online: 26 members 776 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: