Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Volume 3: Chapters 28-42 (Spoilers, OK)

[ Edited ]
If you would like to discuss Volume 3, please know that this volume goes to the end of the novel, so spoilers about the ending may be here.

~ConnieK

Message Edited by ConnieK on 03-29-2008 02:28 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: Volume 3: Chapters 28-42 (Spoilers, OK)

In a way, I don't think there can be a spoiler about the ending, since it is unclear what happened!  I felt a bit frustrated by not knowing whether M. Paul was killed at sea, or he survived the stormy sea voyage and was reunited with Lucy.  I tend to think that he was killed.  Just like secretive Lucy to refuse to tell us definitively!

The scenes at the park when Lucy was drugged and left the house to find a fete going on reminded me of a Fellini movie!  Especially the tableau with Madames Beck and Walravens, who most definitely resembles something out of a surrealistic movie.  I think that Bronte did a good job of presenting Lucy's perspective from a drugged mind.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: Volume 3: Chapters 28-42 (Spoilers, OK)

One thing that surprised me when M. Paul showed Lucy her new school/home was that he told her that he had chosen everything himself.  I thought he was going to say that his ward Mlle. Sauveur had helped him give it the feminine touch.  When Lucy had seen them at the park during the fete, he had been saying that he had some scheme in mind which was a secret between him and Mlle. Sauveur, and I had assumed it might have something to do with his plans for Lucy.

It was his reason for this resolve which they teased him to assign, and
which he would only vaguely indicate as "the settlement of a little
piece of business which he had set his heart upon." What _was_
this business? Nobody knew. Yes, there was one who seemed partly, at
least, in his confidence; a meaning look passed between him and
Justine Marie. "La petite va m'aider--n'est-ce pas?" said he. The
answer was prompt enough, God knows?

"Mais oui, je vous aiderai de tout mon coeur. Vous ferez de moi tout
ce que vous voudrez, mon parrain."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Users Online
Currently online: 41 members 1,084 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: