Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Further Reading

[ Edited ]
More from Virginia Woolf

Book Cover Image: Title: Mrs. Dalloway, Author: Virginia Woolf

Buy It
Mrs. Dalloway
One of Woolf's most celebrated and popular novels, Mrs. Dalloway follows a woman's life through a single day, one that is also the last of a war veteran's life. Direct and vivid in her account of the details of Clarissa Dalloway's preparations for a party she is to give that evening, Woolf ultimately manages to reveal much more; for it is the feeling behind these daily events and their juxtaposition with the unfolding suicide of Septimus Smith that gives the story its texture and richness.

Book Cover Image: Title: The Voyage Out, Author: Virginia Woolf

Buy It
The Voyage Out
In the author's debut novel, young, free-spirited Rachel Vinrace departs London for a sea voyage to South America. Surrounded by a clutch of genteel companions -- among them her aunt Helen, who judges Rachel to be "vacillating," "emotional," and "more than normally incompetent for her years" -- Rachel displays a startling maturity when she finds her engagement to the writer Terence Hewet listing toward disaster. As she soon discovers, "tragedies come in the hungry hours."

Book Cover Image: Title: TITLE, Author: Virginia Woolf

Buy It
A Room of One's Own
Why is it that men, and not women, have always had power, wealth, and fame? Woolf cites the two keys to freedom: fixed income and one's own room.

Book Cover Image: Title: Moments of Being, Author: Virginia Woolf

Buy It
Moments of Being
This collection of brief autobiographical sketches offers fascinating glimpses of the writer's life. "A Sketch of the Past" is the longest and most significant of the pieces, giving an account of Virginia Woolf's early years in the family household at 22 Hyde Park Gate. It illuminates her relationship to her father, Leslie Stephen, who played a crucial role in her development as an individual and as a writer.

Find more titles and editions from Virginia Woolf.

Related Titles

Book Cover Image: Title: Virginia Woolf, Author: Hermione Lee

Buy It
Virginia Woolf
Hermione Lee
The most thorough biography yet of Woolf and a finalist for the National Book Critics Circle Award.

Book Cover Image: Title: TITLE, Author: Virginia Woolf

Buy It
Virginia Woolf: A Biography
Quentin Bell
The first major study of Woolf's life, written by her nephew.

Book Cover Image: Title: The Hours, Author: Michael Cunningham

Buy It
The Hours
Michael Cunningham
The story of three women, including Woolf herself, this novel is inspired in part by Woolf's life and by her novel Mrs. Dalloway.

Book Cover Image: Title: The Letters of Virginia Woolf, Author: Nigel Nicholson and Joanne Trautmann

Buy It
The Letters of Virginia Woolf
Edited by Nigel Nicholson and Joanne Trautmann
This is the first of a six-volume collection of Woolf's letters.

Book Cover Image: Title: Howards End, Author: E. M. Forster

Buy It
Howards End
E. M. Forster
A friend and fellow member of the Bloomsbury Group, Forster wrote novels more conventionally structured than Woolf's, but no less influential. In this beautifully subtle work, two families -- the intellectual, left-wing Schlegels and the materialistic Wilcoxes, come to know each other by chance. When the elder Mrs. Wilcox dies and her family discovers she has left their country home -- Howards End -- to one of the Schlegel sisters, a crisis is precipitated that takes years to resolve.

Book Cover Image: Title: Howards End, Author: E. M. Forster

Buy It
The Awakening and Selected Short Fiction
Kate Chopin
When it first appeared in 1899, The Awakening was greeted with cries of outrage. The novel's frank portrayal of a woman's emotional, intellectual, and sexual awakening shocked the sensibilities of the time and destroyed the author's reputation and career. Many years passed before this short, pioneering work was recognized as a major achievement in American literature.

Message Edited by LitEditor on 03-21-2007 02:53 PM

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

? HL

Did anyone read Hermione Lee book on V. Woolf? And if so what did you think of it?

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

? order

How important is it to read the books in the same order they were written? Does it enhance something? Does it matter? That perhaps especially in VW's case but with any writer (when one has a choice to do so)?

ziki
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: ? HL

ziki wrote:
Did anyone read Hermione Lee book on V. Woolf? And if so what did you think of it?

ziki

a great book, I think

Ilana

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: ? order

[ Edited ]

ziki wrote:
How important is it to read the books in the same order they were written? Does it enhance something? Does it matter? That perhaps especially in VW's case but with any writer (when one has a choice to do so)?

ziki

I don't think you have to read all of Woolf, and definitely not in order. I think anyone who wants her heart just needs to read To the Lighthouse and Mrs. Dalloway, but maybe many times.

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 04-14-200703:51 PM

Ilana

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

thanks, I am planning to get it.
ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

I will end up reading the other books, too, just in a slow pace probably...not sure...but she definitely became one of my "reading projects".

Another one would be Austen.

ziki
Contributor
SumayyaA
0 Kudos

ziki wrote:
I will end up reading the other books, too, just in a slow pace probably...not sure...but she definitely became one of my "reading projects".

Another one would be Austen.

ziki

I totally agree with you, ziki. VW will become one of my 'reading projects' as well. I was thinking of reading Mrs. Dalloway after To the Lighthouse.
Frequent Contributor
saltydog
0 Kudos

ziki wrote:

ziki

_________________________________________________________________________________

I think it depends on how interested in the writer's works you might be. In VW's case there is so much other data, i.e., her diaries, her essays, etc. coupled with some good biographies that you can get a real feel for the writer's approach to his or her work. I read Woolf's "Night and Day," which was one of her first works and the difference between it and our "To the Lighthouse" really shows her growth, not only as a writer, but as a person. So, yeah I think that is the best approach.

Salty Dog
Salty Dog
Frequent Contributor
saltydog
0 Kudos

I agree, a large (755 pages in my edition), very well written work. However, keep in mind that Lee is a biographer and not a Woolf scholar.

Salty Dog
Salty Dog
Frequent Contributor
CallMeLeo
0 Kudos

Re: Woolf scholars

Does anyone have any recommendations of works by Woolf scholars?
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Question for Ilana: ORLANDO and THE WAVES

Ilana, Orlando is my favorite: it seems VW had a lot of fun writing it! Wouldn't you consider it, along with The Waves, essential reading, too? All four are excerpted in The Viriginia Woolf Reader.

IlanaSimons wrote:
I think anyone who wants her heart just needs to read To the Lighthouse and Mrs. Dalloway, but maybe many times.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

thanks

Thanks SD for your replies here.
ziki
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

but a little p.s. here: Lee is very much a Woolf scholar, too.

saltydog wrote:
I agree, a large (755 pages in my edition), very well written work. However, keep in mind that Lee is a biographer and not a Woolf scholar.

Salty Dog

Ilana

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Lee on VW

I've got the book now, it'll be interesting to read.
thanks for all input

ziki
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: Lee on VW

ziki wrote:
I've got the book now, it'll be interesting to read.
thanks for all input

ziki

Lee also wrote a biography of Willa Cather, who's My Antonia we're just starting now, as a May book. Have you ever read Cather?

Ilana

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, I saw that Lee has book on Wharton and Cather...they are taxing.

I read My Ántonia with BN university, it was a great discussion. I gave a copy to a friend of mine after that but she gave me a strange look and I am not sure if she ever read it. I like Cather's books.

ziki
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
well, if you get a chance in May, come in and help tune our Cather discussion.

A few weeks ago, I got to see Lee speak at the New York Public Library. The woman has amazing energy. And seems kind.

ziki wrote:
Yes, I saw that Lee has book on Wharton and Cather...they are taxing.

I read My Ántonia with BN university, it was a great discussion. I gave a copy to a friend of mine after that but she gave me a strange look and I am not sure if she ever read it. I like Cather's books.

ziki

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 04-27-200710:59 PM

Ilana

Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

Lee speaking at the library

What a great opportunity!
Correspondent
Rosei
0 Kudos

Re: Further Reading

Oh, I thought this board and discussion were closed. So glad to still read messages from here :smileyhappy:

Hugs!
Users Online
Currently online: 31 members 778 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: