Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Part 3: The Lighthouse

We go from looking out the window in part one to arrival at the dreamed-of lighthouse in part three. Can you describe the structure of this book? What is discovered and what remains lost?

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

Re: Part 3: The Lighthouse

I have to admit, I remained lost for most of this book! I enjoyed part 2, and that small section has made me want to read more of Virginia Woolf's writings. I had a hard time with parts 1 and 3. The relationships between the characters didn't seem natural to me. The women and men thought and felt all these different things but could never say them out loud, so instead they acted in passive-aggressive ways. At times I felt like telling them - just tell them what you want/need or get over it! Not very compassionate I know, but there it is.
Frequent Contributor
CallMeLeo
0 Kudos

Re: Part 3: The Lighthouse & Closure

KristyR wrote:
I have to admit, I remained lost for most of this book! I enjoyed part 2, and that small section has made me want to read more of Virginia Woolf's writings. I had a hard time with parts 1 and 3. The relationships between the characters didn't seem natural to me. The women and men thought and felt all these different things but could never say them out loud, so instead they acted in passive-aggressive ways. At times I felt like telling them - just tell them what you want/need or get over it! Not very compassionate I know, but there it is.

I like your point, KristyR, about the passive-aggressive qualities in the characters. All that's not said gives rise to so much tension it takes the characters and you, the reader, to breaking point; but I think with the arrival to the lighthouse in Part 3 the tension is finally broken, peace is made. There is a sigh of relief. Closure.
Frequent Contributor
CallMeLeo
0 Kudos

Re: TO THE LIGHTHOUSE allusions link

[ Edited ]
For those who want to explore more in depth some of the literary allusions in To The Lighthouse, this link should be interesting. After the link takes you to the web page scroll down and click on Allusions in To The LIghthouse.

http://www.webenglishteacher.com/woolf.html

Message Edited by CallMeLeo on 04-12-200710:23 AM

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Good observations. Woolf's characters have such a hard time expressing thoughts and feelings to each other.
The retentiveness gives a good sense of what Woolf felt as a woman raised in a Victorian household...with her own vision of modern possibilities in expression.
Her characters are often Victorian about privacy and silence--we want to scream at them to speak their minds.
Once her mother and father had died (when Woolf was only 22), she and her siblings moved to the Bloomsbury section of London, to set up a household with a different feeling. They threw out the heavy Victorian drapery and made the place light--painted it themselves. They wanted to build a world where more was said and expressed. Of course it is hard to shed those old styles Woolf carried with her.

CallMeLeo wrote:

KristyR wrote:

I like your point, KristyR, about the passive-aggressive qualities in the characters. All that's not said gives rise to so much tension it takes the characters and you, the reader, to breaking point; but I think with the arrival to the lighthouse in Part 3 the tension is finally broken, peace is made. There is a sigh of relief. Closure.

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 04-12-200712:59 PM

Ilana

Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

CallMeLeo wrote:
For those who want to explore more in depth some of the literary allusions in To The Lighthouse, this link should be interesting. After the link takes you to the web page scroll down and click on Allusions in To The LIghthouse.

Thanks for that link, it was interesting. I know I just read part of Cowper's poem in another book recently, I just can't remember which one. I also really liked Shelley's Invitation. Has anyone else read Scott's The Antiquary? I was very intrigued by the chapter they provided, I'll try to find it on B&N. I've read The Fisherman and His Wife before, it teaches a great lesson about greed and the humble nature of God.
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

KristyR wrote:

CallMeLeo wrote:

Thanks for that link, it was interesting. I know I just read part of Cowper's poem in another book recently, I just can't remember which one. I also really liked Shelley's Invitation. Has anyone else read Scott's The Antiquary? I was very intrigued by the chapter they provided, I'll try to find it on B&N. I've read The Fisherman and His Wife before, it teaches a great lesson about greed and the humble nature of God.

I found The Antiquary by Walter Scott on B&N. It's a bit pricey, $15 and up for a paperback. Also it is quite thick, anywhere from 450 to 670 pages depending on the edition. I wish B&N would list the actual book size, I prefer the bigger paperbacks. I hate when I end up getting one of those mass market ones with the teeny tiny writing! Any way, it's on my wish list, so when they post all the books discussions for May, I'll add it to my order. I have to find out what that old lady knew!
Frequent Contributor
piihonua
0 Kudos

I'm glad you addressed the tension being broken in Part Three. After the ethereal fluidity of a Time Passes, the story has clearly metamorphosed into the final phase of the novel. I feel a sense of resignation. Mrs. Ramsay is gone, the "astonishingly beautiful" light of the family, the force that kept the family unit so tightly woven has left the scene. It's a tough void to fill isn't it?
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

CallMeLeo wrote:

I guess I don't really get the sense that the tension was broken. The family is in fragments, no one is really talking to each other, and the force that seemed to hold them all together (Mrs. Ramsay) is gone.
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

But the memories of Mrs. Ramsay keep people together, don't they?

KristyR wrote:

CallMeLeo wrote:

I guess I don't really get the sense that the tension was broken. The family is in fragments, no one is really talking to each other, and the force that seemed to hold them all together (Mrs. Ramsay) is gone.

Ilana

Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

IlanaSimons wrote:
But the memories of Mrs. Ramsay keep people together, don't they?

KristyR wrote:

CallMeLeo wrote:

They do, but I wonder for how long? The relationship between the father and the youngest 2 is very sad. As soon as they're old enough to be on their own, will they ever want to come back?
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

CallMeLeo wrote:

KristyR wrote:

Is the lighthouse a metaphor for seeing a light?

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

KristyR wrote: Has anyone else read Scott's The Antiquary?

I am am just about to embark on reading SW Scott. This was his favorite book. I only read Ivanhoe so far.

ziki
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ziki wrote:Is the lighthouse a metaphor for seeing a light?

Good prompt--I'd like to talk about what the lighthouse could mean. Woolf wrote to a friend saying that she didn't mean for the lighthouse to stand for any one thing. No rich metaphor does stand for just one thing. But I'd like to hear what you all think: How do you see this symbol at the center of her text?

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 04-13-200704:14 PM

Ilana

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: Part 3: The Lighthouse & Closure: James sailing to the Lighthouse

As the boat sails close to the lighthouse in Part 3, James feels uncomfortable. On the one hand, he remembers the fantasies of the lighthouse he had as a kid--his vision of that flashing tower from afar. On the other, he finally sees the thing up close, with its white washed rocks and painted tower.
The clash between his childhood dream and reality hurts--he worries that his imagination had been wrong all along.

But then he finds some resolution: "No," he thinks, "the other [my fantasy of it] was also the Lighthouse. For nothing was simply one thing. The other Lighthouse was true too."

What do you make of this?
In a neat parallel, Lily tries so hard to paint a portrait of Mrs. Ramsay while the woman is alive, but she can only really finish her painting when Mrs. Ramsay's dead, giving Lily the freedom to imagine that loved woman without the interruption of actual facts.

Woolf seems to be saying that a lot of what's most "true" to us are the images we build in solitude. What else do you think she's saying in those scenes with James or Lily?

Ilana

Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

Re: Part 3: The Lighthouse & Closure: James sailing to the Lighthouse

IlanaSimons wrote:
As the boat sails close to the lighthouse in Part 3, James feels uncomfortable. On the one hand, he remembers the fantasies of the lighthouse he had as a kid--his vision of that flashing tower from afar. On the other, he finally sees the thing up close, with its white washed rocks and painted tower.
The clash between his childhood dream and reality hurts--he worries that his imagination had been wrong all along.

But then he finds some resolution: "No," he thinks, "the other [my fantasy of it] was also the Lighthouse. For nothing was simply one thing. The other Lighthouse was true too."

What do you make of this?
In a neat parallel, Lily tries so hard to paint a portrait of Mrs. Ramsay while the woman is alive, but she can only really finish her painting when Mrs. Ramsay's dead, giving Lily the freedom to imagine that loved woman without the interruption of actual facts.

Woolf seems to be saying that a lot of what's most "true" to us are the images we build in solitude. What else do you think she's saying in those scenes with James or Lily?

There are so many different ways in which people can "see" the same thing. Especially when we are remembering something, so many other forces are at work - how we felt, what we heard, what we saw, what we smelt, etc. The memory becomes more real to us than the actual object because we have added so much to the image.
psb
Contributor
psb
0 Kudos

The character's interior thoughts give us an insight into how different personalities react to the same everyday, ordinary experience. Each character has their own separate reality in their heads.

On the subject of reticence, I think Virginia Woolf's world was very different from ours where everyone goes on Oprah to "spill the beans". Is there also a cultural difference between the "friendly" American and the "reserved" British?
Frequent Contributor
CallMeLeo
0 Kudos

Re: Part 3: The Lighthouse & Symbolism

[ Edited ]

IlanaSimons wrote:

ziki wrote:Is the lighthouse a metaphor for seeing a light?

Good prompt--I'd like to talk about what the lighthouse could mean. Woolf wrote to a friend saying that she didn't mean for the lighthouse to stand for any one thing. No rich metaphor does stand for just one thing. But I'd like to hear what you all think: How do you see this symbol at the center of her text?

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 04-13-200704:14 PM

I imagined the beam of the lighthouse to be like an eye watching, illuminating, and spotlighting the interior of the house and those within it, especially in Part 2, just as the interior lives of these characters have been illuminated by the author.

Message Edited by CallMeLeo on 04-14-200712:52 PM

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: Part 3: The Lighthouse & Symbolism

CallMeLeo wrote:
I imagined the beam of the lighthouse to be like an eye watching, illuminating, and spotlighting the interior of the house and those within it, especially in Part 2, just as the interior lives of these characters have been illuminated by the author.

Well said. And, no one fully knows another person's life. We only know in glimpses--like the lighthouse flashes on and off, on and off, sometimes clarifying things, sometimes leaving us in the dark. An intermittent connection keeps us optimistic but less than fulfilled in this game of knowing each other.

Ilana

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

psb wrote:
On the subject of reticence, I think Virginia Woolf's world was very different from ours where everyone goes on Oprah to "spill the beans"

I agree. Woolf is all about that tension: some itch to spill the beans, and some sense that spilling the beans would leave us empty.

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 04-14-200703:48 PM

Ilana

Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 364 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: