Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group. Let us know what general cultural knowledge you have about Einstein, and why this new biography interests you!

Frequent Contributor
LPScott62
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hello -
I have not got the book yet but have so much enjoyed other writings about Albert - For example the one by Micho Kaku (one of a series) - and others about the theory of relativity -(E=mc^2) - Thanks for hosting this discussion -
Leland
"If we have curiosity about life and the cosmos, boredom is never a threat."
New User
neochonetes
0 Kudos

Jessica wrote:

Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group. Let us know what general cultural knowledge you have about Einstein, and why this new biography interests you!

As an avid reader, who loves science, biographies, history and science fiction, in no particular order, I am always looking for new material. My reading is curtailed only by the lack of resources in my public library or my pocketbook, lol.

Yesterday, April 26, 2007, I saw Walter Isaacson on the News Hour on PBS. He was interviewed about his latest biography, Einstein: His Life and Universe by Judy Woodruff, at a setting that appeared to be his house or home office. It was a very impressive interview and presentation. I found his surroundings ordinary, comforting and extraordinary at the same time.

Ordinary because Mr. Isaacson's surroundings reminded me of many homes you might see in general middle class magazines or TV shows, like Better Homes and Gardens or DIY/HGTV networks. Comforting that Mr. Isaacson's office is utilitarian, comfortable, purposeful and yet, not pretentious....practical. Extraordinary because of all the powerful work that comes from that seemingly middle class atmosphere.

I fear that very few people focus on the extraordinariness of individual choices to live and work with seemingly ordinary circumstances and people. I like to interpret these choices in home, office, and career as part of the middle class lifestyle that I believe is a wonderful legacy of our early forefathers, especially Benjamin Franklin.

Thanks Mr. Isaacson, even though I have read several books and watched numerous documentaries about Einstein, I look forward to reading your book. I imagine it will provide rewarding details that I have yet to learn about this man, scientist, and statesman, Albert Einstein.
New User
kd1612
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

My name is Kevin and I also am an avid reader. The last book that Mr. Isaacson wrote "Benjamin Franklin: An American Life" was a very interesting and very well written. I had the chance hear Mr. Isaacson speak in Philadelphia and had him sign my book. I am looking forward to reading "Einstein" and following along with this book club. I am hoping to get this book signed also.
Contributor
BryVal
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm Bryan and I just purchased the book. Although I have not started reading it, I can't wait to join in on the discussions.

Would anyone happen to know if the author Mr. Isaacson is having a book signing tour for his book through the Las Vegas area at all. I would like to get my book signed by him.

Okay, got to run. I need to start reading. See you all in the discussin area.

Bryan
Contributor
Karen1976
0 Kudos

Jessica wrote:

Hello everyone, my name is Karen and I'm a biography junkie. Give me an interesting person, a good writer, and I'll read it! I have to admit that I thought that Isaacson Americanized Ben Franklin a bit in his last book, but it was still a very good read. Consequently, I was a little concerned when I heard that he had written a book about Albert Einstein. Thankfully, he did an excellent job in what, in my opinion, is the best biography of Einstein to date.

Karen1976
'A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death' - Einstein
Frequent Contributor
hasenbein
0 Kudos

Hello!

My name is Kathy (I sign KathyH because we also seem to have a few Kathys). I live in Orange, California and work at a large church here in the Worship and Music Ministries Department. I love to read and truly appreciate the opportunity to discuss what I'm reading, so am excited to be here.

KathyH
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

for some time now I wanted to read something about Einstein that would present him more as a person/thinker than just a matematician. This book comes handy. I have no understanding of math but I feel that independent thinking is imperative. I also think that the most important part for us today is the unifying theory that in my view will bridge over the crevice between science and spirituality as it exists in our minds today.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!

As you know, I'll be moderating Einstein for the month. It's great to see you all here. I'm very close to finishing the book, and I have to say that some of my misconceptions of Einstein have been cleared up ... and some of my long-held thoughts about him have been confirmed.

In other words, I had a great time reading this book! (And from these intros, sounds like I'm not the only one!)

Looking forward to the next few weeks,
Jessica
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Hi Neochonetes,

I've enjoyed seeing Walter in the media for the past few weeks, promoting this book, knowing that he was on his way here to discuss it with us. All of his interviews -- and the many, thoughtful book reviews -- have been quite fascinating!

If you haven't already, check out the B&N interview, and there's also a great one on NPR (part of the "Fresh Air" series).

Thanks!
Jessica
New User
kd1612
0 Kudos

Bryan,

If you go to the publishers web site, they have a schedule of Mr. Isaacsons' tour.
Contributor
stewiey
0 Kudos

Jessica wrote:

hello, My name is stewart.
I am listening to the book in my car.
I have always enjoyed learning more about Albert.
Users Online
Currently online: 16 members 482 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: