Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

About the Book & Author

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Photo: Water for Elephants

As a young man, Jacob Jankowski was tossed by fate onto a rickety train that was home to the Benzini Brothers' Most Spectacular Show on Earth. It was the early part of the great Depression, and for Jacob, now ninety, the circus world he remembers was both his salvation and a living hell. A veterinary student just shy of a degree, he was put in charge of caring for the circus menagerie.

It was there that he met Marlena, the beautiful equestrian star married to August, the charismatic but twisted animal trainer. And he met Rosie, an untrainable elephant who was the great gray hope for this third-rate traveling show. The bond that grew among this unlikely trio was one of love and trust, and, ultimately, it was their only hope for survival.

About Sara Gruen: Sara Gruen is the author of the bestseller Riding Lessons and Flying Changes. She lives north of Chicago with her husband, her three children, four cats, two goats, two dogs, and a horse.

Discover all titles and editions from Sara Gruen.

Contributor
platypuscb
0 Kudos

Re: About the Book & Author

is this book good for a 12 year old
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

platypuscb wrote:

It has some tough parts, so, depending on your values and the maturity of the 12-year-old, I would use discretion.

If you look through the posts on this board, I believe you will find a discussion on what minimum age some of the readers here would suggest for this book. If recall correctly, it was about 15+, so 12 would be young.

I don't think I would hand WFE to a 12 yr old, primarily because I would probably want to be protective from elements of ugliness for a few more years. But, there could be exceptions.
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

platypuscb wrote:

It has some tough parts, so, depending on your values and the maturity of the 12-year-old, I would use discretion.

If you look through the posts on this board, I believe you will find a discussion on what minimum age some of the readers here would suggest for this book. If recall correctly, it was about 15+, so 12 would be young.

I don't think I would hand WFE to a 12 yr old, primarily because I would probably want to be protective from elements of ugliness for a few more years. But, there could be exceptions.

Yeah, I agree, this is really not a book for a 12 year old. There are very adult topics in it and language. The storyline is very adult, some adults even stopped reading it, saying it was a good book but they couldnt refer it for content or finish it.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Users Online
Currently online: 5 members 541 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: