Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
0 Kudos

Re: A nice ending.....

Hi Everyone------We just discussed Water for Elephants in my in-person Book Club. Everyone loved the book. We hadn't known about the class division of workers in the circus of that era. I wonder if they still are like that about worker or performer status. We all agreed that we loved the ending. We did not think it could happen in reality. Wouldn't the policeman have had a picture so that he would have known Jacob wasn't the circus manager's father but the missong nursing home resident? But we are glad she chose to end the story the way she did. It's perfect.
Librarian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Librarian wrote:
Hi Everyone------We just discussed Water for Elephants in my in-person Book Club. Everyone loved the book. We hadn't known about the class division of workers in the circus of that era. I wonder if they still are like that about worker or performer status. We all agreed that we loved the ending. We did not think it could happen in reality. Wouldn't the policeman have had a picture so that he would have known Jacob wasn't the circus manager's father but the missong nursing home resident? But we are glad she chose to end the story the way she did. It's perfect.
Librarian

hey there librarian.
You know, we have at least one to three elderly go missing from nursing homes in the Oklahoma City area every year. They just walk out and sometimes are found sometimes not. But one thing that has never changed, when the word goes out immediately on tv because its mid winter or they have Alzheimer's and get lost, or need meds, the one thing that never changes is there is NEVER a picture of them, only descriptions. Now that you mention that, I think it should be a state policy that all residents of nursing homes have pictures made of them and kept just for that reason.

I think the cop may have suspected but I think he saw this wasnt a kidnapping and the old man knew whats what, so even if he had just a glimmer of doubt that it wasnt the manager's father, I dont think he wanted to follow it up. This is a good place to end the book yes. It brings together the ending so well, as stated in some other posts, but if anyone HAS to have reality, you know that as soon as they pulled out and his family finally got involved with the cops, they would have had to check him out. But we are going to say that never happened :smileywink:. That when someone from the family did show, there were no clues, he just went missing like those here that we never find out what happens to them. But his is a good ending. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Librarian wrote:
Librarian

hey there librarian.
You know, we have at least one to three elderly go missing from nursing homes in the Oklahoma City area every year. They just walk out and sometimes are found sometimes not. But one thing that has never changed, when the word goes out immediately on tv because its mid winter or they have Alzheimer's and get lost, or need meds, the one thing that never changes is there is NEVER a picture of them, only descriptions. Now that you mention that, I think it should be a state policy that all residents of nursing homes have pictures made of them and kept just for that reason.

I think the cop may have suspected but I think he saw this wasnt a kidnapping and the old man knew whats what, so even if he had just a glimmer of doubt that it wasnt the manager's father, I dont think he wanted to follow it up. This is a good place to end the book yes. It brings together the ending so well, as stated in some other posts, but if anyone HAS to have reality, you know that as soon as they pulled out and his family finally got involved with the cops, they would have had to check him out. But we are going to say that never happened :smileywink:. That when someone from the family did show, there were no clues, he just went missing like those here that we never find out what happens to them. But his is a good ending. :smileywink:

I know where my aunt is, the nursing home rather, has pictures of all the residents. They are on their medical charts. And they renew them every 6 mts. You are right, they need to do that everywhere.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Librarian wrote:
Librarian

hey there librarian.

I agree that the cop probably suspected what was going on. He didn't ask too many questions and didn't seem to find a problem with the situation. In my mind, I believe that Jacob's family cares very much about him and will be glad he is happy. I think as soon as they got on the road he sent them all a postcard from the circus that said "Wish you were here, but don't wait up for me!"
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Librarian wrote:
Librarian

hey there librarian.

I agree that the cop probably suspected what was going on. He didn't ask too many questions and didn't seem to find a problem with the situation. In my mind, I believe that Jacob's family cares very much about him and will be glad he is happy. I think as soon as they got on the road he sent them all a postcard from the circus that said "Wish you were here, but don't wait up for me!"

man wrighty, I would love to write that postcard so bad sometimes lol :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

man wrighty, I would love to write that postcard so bad sometimes lol :smileywink:

Are you trying to tell us you're joining the circus Viv? :smileywink: Or would you like to write the postcard to Jacob's family?
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

Are you trying to tell us you're joining the circus Viv? :smileywink: Or would you like to write the postcard to Jacob's family?

I would like to write it to this circus of a family I have and sometimes this life here and just go somewhere totally new and start all over, minus the disabilities that is and plus some money LOL.
Vivian
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

vivico1 wrote:man wrighty, I would love to write that postcard so bad sometimes lol :smileywink:

I would like to write it to this circus of a family I have and sometimes this life here and just go somewhere totally new and start all over, minus the disabilities that is and plus some money LOL.

That would be something wouldn't it? I've got a few pluses and minuses of my own. (but not too many :smileyhappy: )
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 768 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: